Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Substitute for Onion soup mix? (thread includes kugel recipe
1  2  Next

anon

Post Wed, Sep 20 2006, 11:19 am
Hey, I want to make a zucchini kugel that calls for onion soup mix but I would prefer to cook without the MSG. Do you know if there's anything that I could use instead of the mix, that would still give it a good flavor?

Thanx!

Last edited by anon on Wed, Sep 20 2006, 9:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

mimsy7420

Post Wed, Sep 20 2006, 11:35 am
fried onions!

mimsy7420

Post Wed, Sep 20 2006, 11:35 am
or chopped onions...

MommyLuv

Post Wed, Sep 20 2006, 11:38 am
or if you have the time to carmelize the onions for 45 mins...yum...

isn't it annoying how many recipes rely on ingredients like that?

I use a mix of salt, onion powder, some garlic powder, pepper and sauteed onions. I think it tastes better acrually than using soup mix!! Surprised

shopaholic

Post Wed, Sep 20 2006, 11:39 am
how much msg are you getting in a bit of soup mix? I think the soup mix is great for taste.

mimsy7420

Post Wed, Sep 20 2006, 11:40 am
MommyLuv wrote:
or if you have the time to carmelize the onions for 45 mins...yum...

isn't it annoying how many recipes rely on ingredients like that?

I use a mix of salt, onion powder, some garlic powder, pepper and sauteed onions. I think it tastes better acrually than using soup mix!! Surprised

but make sure the powder doesnt have any msg either!

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Sep 20 2006, 12:14 pm
you have to make sure that it doesn't have msg in it.

mali

Post Wed, Sep 20 2006, 12:21 pm
There's new soup mix in Israel without MSG (g-d knows what they put instead). They probably ship it to the US as well.

stem

Post Wed, Sep 20 2006, 1:30 pm
Just substitute the onion soup mix with: salt, pepper, onion powder or dried minced onions. You can also add a small splash of soy sauce if you'd like.

lamplighter

Post Wed, Sep 20 2006, 6:01 pm
my mother is allergic to msg and she uses onion powder. recently she found a soup mix from israel that has no msg, pm if u want me to find out exactly what its called

withhumor

Post Wed, Sep 20 2006, 7:58 pm
Quote:
Just substitute the onion soup mix with: salt, pepper, onion powder or dried minced onions. You can also add a small splash of soy sauce if you'd like.

that's right - spices PLUS the soy sauce.

MMEC123

Post Wed, Sep 20 2006, 8:52 pm
anon wrote:
Hey, I want to make a zucchini kugel that calls for onion soup mix but I would prefer to cook without the MSG. Do you know if there's anything that I could use instead of the mix, that would still give it a good flavor?

Thanx!
If you have a chance, can you please post the recipe for zucchini kugel? Thanks!

anon

Post Wed, Sep 20 2006, 9:48 pm
Thanks for all the suggestions, I'm going to use them! I'm aware they have a new brand without msg, but it makes me wonder what they put in there instead. I'm not crazy healthy with all my foods, but I like certain dishes to remain completely wholesome.

Quote:

that's right - spices PLUS the soy sauce.

Why the soy sauce specifically? Does that add a taste that is similar to the onion soup mix?

Here's the recipe. I never made it before....I just got the recipe from someone else. I had it by their house for shabbas and loved it....I helped myself to second and third helpings! It's a nice change from traditional potato kugel.

5-6 medium zucchini peeled, quartered & sliced
1 medium onion chopped
1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1-2 tablespoons onion soup mix (to taste)
4 eggs
1/2 cup oil
salt & pepper (to taste)

Mix all the ingredients together. Bake in a greased 9''x13" pan at 350 degrees for 45 mins or until set & golden brown.
It freezes really well.

Enjoy!

withhumor

Post Wed, Sep 20 2006, 9:56 pm
But if you put all that flour thenyou might as well have potato, no ?

anon

Post Wed, Sep 20 2006, 10:11 pm
Are you talking about calories or taste? I'm saying that it's a nice variation from potato kugel with regards to a different taste and texture. Calories is another story.

happymom

Post Wed, Sep 20 2006, 10:25 pm
there is a barnd that makes onion soup mix without msg

shanie5

Post Thu, Sep 21 2006, 1:36 pm
I was about to make a recipe that called for onion soup mix and realized I was out of it- so I came here to check for the subtitutes posted-thanx!

frummom

Post Thu, Sep 21 2006, 1:40 pm
the zucchini is sliced? small pieces like apple kugel or bigger chunks?

ra_mom

Post Mon, Sep 14 2009, 1:17 pm
anon wrote:

5-6 medium zucchini peeled, quartered & sliced
1 medium onion chopped
1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1-2 tablespoons onion soup mix (to taste)
4 eggs
1/2 cup oil
salt & pepper (to taste)

Mix all the ingredients together. Bake in a greased 9''x13" pan at 350 degrees for 45 mins or until set & golden brown.
It freezes really well.

anon, what's the best way to reheat this kugel?

anon

Post Mon, Sep 14 2009, 11:24 pm
Truthfully, I had written that it freezes well because that's how the recipe was given to me (not because I tried it myself).

I don't know of any special way to reheat it, but I should mention that A) it should be baked uncovered and B) it should be reheated uncovered...this way, the top doesn't get soggy.

I would suggest looking into how to reheat a frozen kugel in general, and use that approach for this kugel. I have heard different suggestions, such as putting it straight in the oven while still frozen but I haven't tried it myself.

Btw, about the onion soup mix, I took the suggestion of putting in a lot of caramelized onions (two onions instead of one). When the onions get really brown and caramelized, it gives it an amazing flavor. I still add a little onion soup mix to be safe, but not as much as the recipe calls for.

Enjoy!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics