Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Bugs in lettuce

Shimmysmom

Post Wed, Sep 20 2006, 12:13 pm
I have decided to be more machmir with checking for bugs in veggies. I just have a few questions.
Specifically, how are you supposed to wash/check bagged lettuce? if I wet the lettuce won't it get soggy?

mimsy7420

Post Wed, Sep 20 2006, 12:25 pm
I cut off the end and seperate the rommaine into leaves (hearts, not the salad mix) and soak in my sink with vinegar and salt. Then I rinse and check each leaf up against the light. Takes a while but much tastier and healthier then iceberg lettuce. If you do a lot at a time and put it in a salad spinner to take off the wetness, and put it in the fridge in freezer bags it stays good for a while.

Last edited by mimsy7420 on Wed, Sep 20 2006, 12:29 pm; edited 2 times in total

gryp

Post Wed, Sep 20 2006, 12:25 pm
why dont you just buy regular lettuce?
why buy bagged?

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Sep 20 2006, 12:26 pm
I have a really great salad spinner. Washes and dries.

chen

Post Wed, Sep 20 2006, 12:37 pm
I lay the leaves down in a single layer on dishtowels and roll them up. Takes up a lot of space in the fridge, though.

amother

Post Wed, Sep 20 2006, 12:39 pm
SaraG wrote:
I have a really great salad spinner. Washes and dries.

didn't the poster want to know how to check for bugs?

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Sep 20 2006, 1:19 pm
Shimmysmom wrote:
I have decided to be more machmir with checking for bugs in veggies. I just have a few questions.
Specifically, how are you supposed to wash/check bagged lettuce? if I wet the lettuce won't it get soggy?

in the second paragraph of her post, she asked how to wash the lettuce.

amother

Post Wed, Sep 20 2006, 1:37 pm
SaraG wrote:
Shimmysmom wrote:

in the second paragraph of her post, she asked how to wash the lettuce.

machmir in checking, not washing.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Sep 20 2006, 2:22 pm
She asked how to wash the lettuce!

A good washing can help a LOT in removing bugs!

roza

Post Wed, Sep 20 2006, 2:36 pm
Shimmysmom wrote:

I saw a new product in supermarkets- bagged whole leaves, but they are all separated, washed and even have some heksher. Since they are washed and supposedly checked all you have to do is check each leaf under bright light (my husband does it, he used to be mashgiach for star k dole production and knows better what to look for, he says, all the bagged salads with heksher need to be checked regardless).

I think if bagged leaves are triple washed you don't have to wash.

If you are buying not washed ones, I strongly recommend to buy veggie wash solution.

Also OK kosher website has free guide to checking veggies to download:
http://www.ok.org/PDF/OK_Veggi.....e.pdf

chen

Post Wed, Sep 20 2006, 2:49 pm
It is recommended to wash all bagged veggies, even those that are prewashed, because bugs (the microscopic kind called "germs" )can grow in any moist environment. The tummy distress you prevent may be your own--or your loved one's.

mimsy7420

Post Wed, Sep 20 2006, 2:53 pm
I just bought a salad spinner, and I was wondering if I can use it on shabbos. I'm pretty sure I can't, maybe because of borer.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen