Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Can I leave my electric stovetop on for 2 days?
1  2  Next

youngmom

Post Wed, Sep 20 2006, 11:52 am
I know I can do that for gas but how about electric?
What about the oven?

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Sep 20 2006, 12:14 pm
why not?

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Sep 20 2006, 12:19 pm
I'd feel more comfortable about leaving on an electric stove on then I would with gas.

My mom always leaves on at least one electric burner on over yom tov.

mimsy7420

Post Wed, Sep 20 2006, 12:29 pm
As long as its not a smooth top range, because those get very very hot. A regular coil range is fine to leave on, and better I think then gas!

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Sep 20 2006, 12:45 pm
Oh yeah, definitely don't leave a smooth top range on over yom tov! I've seen them crack b/c of that.

Buddy

Post Wed, Sep 20 2006, 1:01 pm
I never tried this, but my SIL does this all the time for keeping food warm:
right b/f Shabbos, she turns off the oven and lights a bunch of tea candles (abt 15) on a cookie sheet & puts it on the bottom shelf (underneath the lowest rack) of the oven. the food remains hot & the candles eventually burn out...
At first it looked so dangerous to me, I guess cuz u actually c the flames, but it's actually safer than having an oven work all Shabbos. & never mind how much she saves on gas/electric.

on yom tom, u can just light another set of candles when necessary, but probably won't really work if you want to reheat somthing from the freezer....

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Sep 20 2006, 1:04 pm
Buddy wrote:

At first it looked so dangerous to me, I guess cuz u actually c the flames, but it's actually safer than having an oven work all Shabbos. & never mind how much she saves on gas/electric.

It's also not so pashut if one can open an oven that is on on Shabbos...some say you can only open it once, and you have to take out all the food then...

mimsy7420

Post Wed, Sep 20 2006, 1:09 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Buddy wrote:

It's also not so pashut if one can open an oven that is on on Shabbos...some say you can only open it once, and you have to take out all the food then...

the star-k website has a list of every oven and which ones can be opened on yomtov (some you need to wait for light to come on or off) or your oven might have sabbath mode which is the best thing since sliced bread for yomtov, and also which stoves can be lowered and highered on yomtov.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Sep 20 2006, 1:21 pm
if you have an old-style overn it's okay with a timer. but not these new programmables.

Tefila

Post Wed, Sep 20 2006, 2:35 pm
Quote:
My mom always leaves on at least one electric burner on over yom tov.

Ditto though I make sure it's the back ones.
The ovens are trickier though in theory one can open and close an electric oven that is on and depending may higher or lower though NOT STOVE ELEMENT it is a royal pain. With my oven I have to first see the oven light on to be able to open it. I just make sure all my baked items are ready before yom tov and to warnm up I will just use the stove top method which I already have on.

youngmom

Post Wed, Sep 20 2006, 5:16 pm
Thanks for the replies. I knew I could count on imamother for an answer.

Tefila

Post Wed, Sep 20 2006, 5:35 pm
Uh youngmom if I were you I would still check it with a Rav since there are so many diferent ovens out there, thereby diff shailohs and eitzohs What

youngmom

Post Thu, Sep 21 2006, 6:51 am
Tefillah, I wasn't asking halachically. I was asked about safety. I don't think it's a halachic issue to leave an electric "fire"/gas on over yomtov.

youngmom

Post Thu, Sep 21 2006, 6:52 am
If I decide to leave my oven on, what temperature should I leave it on? 200? 250? Will it keep my food warm for the meal if I put it in MOtzei Shabbos?

mimsy7420

Post Thu, Sep 21 2006, 7:00 am
Yea just give it a bit more time to warm up.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Sep 21 2006, 7:25 am
only1 wrote:
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Buddy wrote:

the star-k website has a list of every oven and which ones can be opened on yomtov (some you need to wait for light to come on or off) or your oven might have sabbath mode which is the best thing since sliced bread for yomtov, and also which stoves can be lowered and highered on yomtov.

I was davka talking about Shabbos, not Y"T Smile

Estee2

Post Thu, Sep 21 2006, 7:30 am
Quote:
I wasn't asking halachically. I was asked about safety. I don't think it's a halachic issue to leave an electric "fire"/gas on over yomtov.

For safety puposes, I keep a blech on top of my open gas flame,
overnight, even while nothing is on it.

I just feel better about it -- I envision a piece of paper magically
flying on top of my open flame and burning -- so a blech makes
me feel it is safer. Wink Wink

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Sep 21 2006, 7:32 am
Cracking it and ruining it is a scary option. Can you call the company & ask?

You might want to put your oven on a timer instead for the night, and use a crockpot by day for the cholent.

It still leaves the issues of the 2nd night and 2nd day meal, though........

I would vote for using a plata like mine, on a timer! However you can't cook, only heat up with that.....

mali

Post Thu, Sep 21 2006, 9:27 am
You can put it on a Shabbos clock, and let it turn off from after your Cholent till Yom Tov night, when you'll need it again.

My sister leaves her electric oven on a Shabbos clock, and bakes fresh fish Yom Tov night.

ny21

Post Thu, Sep 21 2006, 9:35 am
I would be afraid to.

May be you can call your fire dept.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen