Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
What do you keep from year to year?
1  2  Next

fromnj

Post Sun, Apr 24 2011, 5:19 pm
Things that are open that I pack up and use for next year: spices, tea, sweet and low, salt and sugar, potato starch, oil (but I think I'm going to buy a new one next year).

Things that are closed that I pack up and use next year: Soda, any boxed stuff like shake and bake, matzah ball mixes, etc., and canned foods. I have three cans of tomatoes that didnt get eaten last year or this year!

Do other people do this?

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sun, Apr 24 2011, 5:48 pm
the salt doesn't harden?? I put away cocoa, spices, coffee, tea, sweet 'n low, oil (closed well!), toothpaste/mouthwash, pam-type spray

is it kdai to put away canned stuff? if you use them all year round anyway, better to buy fresh,no?

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Apr 24 2011, 6:21 pm
fromnj wrote:
Things that are open that I pack up and use for next year: spices, tea, sweet and low, salt and sugar, potato starch, oil (but I think I'm going to buy a new one next year).

Things that are closed that I pack up and use next year: Soda, any boxed stuff like shake and bake, matzah ball mixes, etc., and canned foods. I have three cans of tomatoes that didnt get eaten last year or this year!

Do other people do this?

I don't. Spices lose their potency. Sweet and Low prob. breaks down. Doesn't pay to store salt, sugar, potato starch and oil as it might get buggy or rancid.

Maybe tea is a good idea.

Barbara

Post Sun, Apr 24 2011, 6:57 pm
I put away some spices and Sweet and Lo (although I think it may be time for a new batch). Disposable kiddush cups. Maybe I'll save an unopemed potato starch that I have. That's about it. Everything else gets placed into regular use, or discarded.

grace413

Post Mon, Apr 25 2011, 3:24 pm
I've just decided to stop storing spices because I'm not organized enough to remember that I have them, and then I go shopping and buy more. It's the same stuff I use all year, so I might as well just use it.

On the other hand I was delighted to discover a can of Pam-like spray when I unpacked as I wasn't able to find it here this year.

Liba

Post Mon, Apr 25 2011, 3:30 pm
I check dates, but unopened bottles of oil (if they will be within the expiration date), salt and sugar (I put them in a tupperware container or tie them into plastic bags, unopened cocoa, and unopened potato starch get saved.

Extra heavy duty (not the American "heavy duty", the Israeli stuff that you could build a house from but would never use to line a pan) foil gets saved, as do refrigerator shelf liners.

Liba

Post Mon, Apr 25 2011, 3:32 pm
Smile We have a list taped to the inside of our Pesach cabinet door with what we use each year and what we saved from the year before, so we don't double buy, plus anything that needs to be replaced (pot, potato masher, silver polish, tooth paste etc).

It is a life saver erev Pesach.

Tamiri

Post Mon, Apr 25 2011, 4:55 pm
I save nothing but spices and they are fine year after year. I buy new granulated garlic/paprika/cinnamon most often but the,y too, don't deteriorate as much as I would have expected.
Just this year I am tossing some spices from the U.S. which are minimum 8 years old. I figured that enough was enough. If I didn't use the dried dill in 8 years, I am not going to ever use it Very Happy I have no idea what possessed me to purchase it in the first place. Maybe the novelty of it being KLP.

Isramom8

Post Mon, Apr 25 2011, 6:36 pm
Things I use during the year, I don't keep for the next Pesach. I am keeping one bottle of unopened nut oil and an unopened bag of potato flour.

I tossed an old tea kettle with an unsafe lid and caked-on white stone stuff, and an ill-fitting apron. I made a list of what to buy next week, for next Pesach. I love doing that and finding new surprises when I unpack the next year! Also on my list are about a dozen kitchen towels and some sharp parve and milchig knives. Because our family has grown, we need more of these.

RachelEve14

Post Tue, Apr 26 2011, 12:33 am
I tie spices in a bag and leave them in the freezer.

Marion

Post Tue, Apr 26 2011, 12:38 am
I bagged my spices this year too. Usually I only keep unopened items...this year it's matza meal/matza flour, potato starch, baking soda, baking powder, chocolate chips, olive oil, sunflower oil, vinegar, sweet & sour sauce, and vanilla sugar. But I realized it's silly for me to put the spices into general circulation when I already have so much of them (almost a kg of cinnamon!) on hand.

shalhevet

Post Tue, Apr 26 2011, 2:13 am
chocolate moose wrote:

I don't. Spices lose their potency. Sweet and Low prob. breaks down. Doesn't pay to store salt, sugar, potato starch and oil as it might get buggy or rancid.

I read in Bayit Neeman that potato flour never gets buggy and actually improves with age.

I store spices in bags in the freezer, and take them out during the year if I need them. I also store non-edibles such as shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste, soap etc.

This year I'm storing 2 cans of tomato paste because I saw the expiry date is after next Pesach and they were more expensive than year round. Most food is not worth storing because it is the same price, more or less, as during the year.

Tablepoetry

Post Tue, Apr 26 2011, 2:53 am
The concept of actually storing food staples for next pesach never, ever occured to me.

After pesach, everything moves into general circulation. Before pesach, I throw out old spices nearing their dates of expiration, or just spices that have been around a year, or are almost empty. After pesach I have a new supply. I don't really buy that many spices for pesach anyway.

Sugar? We need that during the year. Matza flour? I use that too. Etc. I can't think of anything that I don't need during the year. Potato starch? Haven't bought that in years.

Tablepoetry

Post Tue, Apr 26 2011, 2:56 am
shalhevet wrote:
chocolate moose wrote:

I read in Bayit Neeman that potato flour never gets buggy and actually improves with age.

I store spices in bags in the freezer, and take them out during the year if I need them. I also store non-edibles such as shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste, soap etc.

This year I'm storing 2 cans of tomato paste because I saw the expiry date is after next Pesach and they were more expensive than year round. Most food is not worth storing because it is the same price, more or less, as during the year.

This. I don't know if I'd save a shekel if I stored stuff. OK, in the best scenario I'd save 20 shekels over an entire year. It's not worth the storage space for me, nor is it worth using year old ingredients.

Marion

Post Tue, Apr 26 2011, 3:01 am
Tablepoetry wrote:
shalhevet wrote:
chocolate moose wrote:

This. I don't know if I'd save a shekel if I stored stuff. OK, in the best scenario I'd save 20 shekels over an entire year. It's not worth the storage space for me, nor is it worth using year old ingredients.
It depends. I buy cinnamon (ground) for 24NIS for a kilo. So 9 or 10NIS for a 100g bag or shaker container is expensive! Same with chocolate chips...13NIS/kg during the year or 8NIS for 200g for Pesach. And raisins...15 or 24NIS/kg (depends on hechsher) during the year...or 10NIS for 100g for Pesach. Why shouldn't I put away something that I didn't use and save myself the money next year?

Liba

Post Tue, Apr 26 2011, 3:17 am
Smile I B"H have plenty of storage. We made our kitchen cabinets to the ceiling with the upper section for Pesach on the whole wall. Even with what we save plus all of my kitchen kaylim and our cabinet or hagados and cookbooks there is an empty cabinet. If I save 20nis I saved 20nis and it didn't cost me anything. Smile

Sugar and oil are a lot more expensive Pesach time, plus I like having things on hand so I can bake a cake as soon as I turn over the kitchen. It makes my life a lot easier to be able to bake a bit before we do our shopping.

shalhevet

Post Tue, Apr 26 2011, 3:39 am
Check the oil expiry date. I got my walnut oil on special. and guess what? It was from last Pesach, so it will expire in a few weeks. Oil goes rancid if kept too long.

Meanwhile, I've also put away two jars of pure orange juice - expiry 2014 (I don't usually buy it during the year).

Liba

Post Tue, Apr 26 2011, 3:41 am
Doesn't orange juice need to be refrigerated?

Isramom8

Post Tue, Apr 26 2011, 4:04 am
Thanks, Shalhevet. My oil expires in 2013.
I'd worry abour raisins getting buggy (no offense, Raisin).
OJ in a carton does not require refrigeration before opening.

Last edited by Isramom8 on Tue, Apr 26 2011, 4:12 am; edited 1 time in total

Liba

Post Tue, Apr 26 2011, 4:10 am
Smile See how often I buy OJ? I miss Tropicana and never got used to any of the juice here. Smile
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics