Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Self clean oven fix or buy new

shstreich

Post Mon, May 02 2011, 2:51 pm
On Motzei Pesach, I tried self cleaning my oven. It got very hot and smoke was coming out of the back. The entire motherboard got burned out. What would you do? Repair or buy a new oven?

Barbara

Post Mon, May 02 2011, 3:22 pm
shstreich wrote:
On Motzei Pesach, I tried self cleaning my oven. It got very hot and smoke was coming out of the back. The entire motherboard got burned out. What would you do? Repair or buy a new oven?

What kind of oven do you have? If its a top of the line luxury brand (Viking, Wolf) that cost several thousand dollars, it might pay to fix it. If its a more pedestrian brand like GE. I'd buy a new one.

nb -- I have a GE.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, May 02 2011, 3:33 pm
Why did it smoke like that? Was it very dirty? You don't want to ruin another oven.

shstreich

Post Mon, May 02 2011, 9:00 pm
I have a maytag and it was not dirty at all only it was fleishig and I wanted to be able to use it for parve. It was really scary I almost called the fire department but was able to cancel the cleaning. My son said that he did see fire behind the screen

Mommy3.5

Post Mon, May 02 2011, 10:11 pm
sounds like you might have had an oil spill at the bottom of the oven. Call a repair guy, see what it would cost to fix it then decide,

saw50st8

Post Tue, May 03 2011, 8:59 am
How old is the unit?

Look online and see if this is a common complaint about the unit. If it is, call the company and see if it has been recalled or what they can do for you.

DrMom

Post Tue, May 03 2011, 10:49 am
Why did you post this under "Intellectual stuff"?? Is Are we supposed to engage in some deep philosophical contemplation to arrive at the answer?
Confused

chocolate moose

Post Tue, May 03 2011, 10:58 am
good one, dr mom !!!!

shstreich

Post Tue, May 03 2011, 3:03 pm
Yeah I realized after I posted the first post that I was in the wrong forum. Sorry. I didn't know how to change that.

greatful

Post Tue, May 03 2011, 11:42 pm
scary Surprised

chocolate moose

Post Wed, May 04 2011, 12:41 pm
it is scary. ours can be run on a timer, and suppose that happened in the middle of the night, or when you weren't home?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics