Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Yiddish Names in Israel (non chassidish)
1  2  3  Next

amother

Post Thu, May 05 2011, 3:02 am
Would you give a yiddish name to a kid in Israel if you're not in chassidish circles?
Does it make a difference if its a more "typical" name versus a less common name?

Like I can understand not giving less common names like "Dobba" and "Tsharna" and "Shprintza" and Aibish in Israel, because those names would probably get mocked in non chassidish circles.
But names like Gittel (Gity) and Raizel (Raizy) and Leib (Aryeh Leib), I can see flying a bit more.

grace413

Post Thu, May 05 2011, 3:14 am
What "circles" are you in? I have a Yiddish name which some people find difficult to pronounce or to understand, especially over the phone. I find this annoying.

I don't think people mock names but if the kid is going to be the only one around with a Yiddish name it might be uncomfortable. If you are in Charedi circles, probably not a problem.

Possible solution - give a Yiddish name and a Hebrew middle name, the kid can always switch if they want.

shalhevet

Post Thu, May 05 2011, 3:37 am
It really depends on the circles. If you live somewhere like Geula or Mattersdorf or with a heavy American strong yeshivish population, it is more acceptable. The more modern areas do not really use those names, but I doubt anyone will make fun. Very few girls around here (non-chassidish) have Yiddish names, but one of my daughters has a Gitty in her class and I don't think anyone ever laughed about it.

Over the years I've discovered several girls with names like Ayelet Hinda or Tova Gittel who kept their middle names a deep, dark secret.

TzenaRena

Post Thu, May 05 2011, 3:44 am
Quote:
Like I can understand not giving less common names like "Dobba" and "Tsharna" and "Shprintza" and Aibish in Israel, because those names would probably get mocked in non chassidish circles.

what's with this mocking business? Since when is mocking Jewish names considered Jewish?! Why is this accepted in ANY circle? Please don't treat the name as a problem.
It's the (anti -Jewish/religious/chareidi/chassidus) mockers and whatever they stand for that's the problem (and those that excuse them) and who should be ashamed, not you.

The first chapter in Shulchan Aruch gives us the instruction that is the foundation and baseline of the entire SA and indeed our entire Jewish lives: "Al Yeivosh mpnei hmaligim" Do not be ashamed ie. take heed of the mockers!

Hold your head high, think about the family members you cherish,love, and esteem, and their everlasting values of Yiddishkeit which they upheld and gave over to you, and give the name you want to, it has JEWISH meaning and value, (unlike the silly, immature hangups these people have).

Last edited by TzenaRena on Thu, May 05 2011, 3:47 am; edited 1 time in total

amother

Post Thu, May 05 2011, 3:46 am
shalhevet wrote:
It really depends on the circles. If you live somewhere like Geula or Mattersdorf or with a heavy American strong yeshivish population, it is more acceptable. The more modern areas do not really use those names, but I doubt anyone will make fun. Very few girls around here (non-chassidish) have Yiddish names, but one of my daughters has a Gitty in her class and I don't think anyone ever laughed about it.

Over the years I've discovered several girls with names like Ayelet Hinda or Tova Gittel who kept their middle names a deep, dark secret.
We live in a very mixed area and travel between circles. There are a decent number of Americans here and I've definitely heard some non chassidish Perry's and Gitty's and the like, but it's definitely not common.

Seraph

Post Thu, May 05 2011, 3:47 am
TzenaRena wrote:
Quote:

what's with this mocking business? Since when is mocking Jewish names considered Jewish?! Why is this accepted in ANY circle? Please don't treat the name as a problem.
It's the (anti -Jewish/religious/chareidi/chassidus) mockers and whatever they stand for that's the problem (and those that excuse them) and who should be ashamed, not you.

The first chapter in Shulchan Aruch gives us the instruction that is the foundation and baseline of the entire SA and indeed our entire Jewish lives: "Al Yeivosh mpnei hmaligim" Do not be ashamed ie. take heed of the mockers!

Hold your head high, think about the family members you cherish,love, and esteem, and their everlasting values of Yiddishkeit which they upheld and gave over to you, and give the name you want to, it has JEWISH meaning and value.
Whatever the reason, you don't want to make your child stick out like an oddball, so even if there's nothing wrong with the name, it might not be the best idea to give it.

TzenaRena

Post Thu, May 05 2011, 3:51 am
It's this scared attitude that lets the bullys take over...

mandksima

Post Thu, May 05 2011, 3:53 am
3 out of 4 of my kids have Yiddish middle names (named after people - I don't like to change the name from how it was used originally by our relatives) and Hebrew first names. I never heard anyone say boo about it even if it might not be so common. The kids use their first names mostly anyways but they are not embarrassed to say their whole name. We are in a mixed Dati Leumi and secular area with some Anglos but mostly Israelis. I don't know if I would have named a Yiddish name as a first name because I didn't like them enough but if you want to and are naming after someone, then go ahead. You can also name in Hebrew and use the Yiddish as a nickname if you prefer.

amother

Post Thu, May 05 2011, 3:56 am
mandksima wrote:
3 out of 4 of my kids have Yiddish middle names (named after people - I don't like to change the name from how it was used originally by our relatives) and Hebrew first names. I never heard anyone say boo about it even if it might not be so common. The kids use their first names mostly anyways but they are not embarrassed to say their whole name. We are in a mixed Dati Leumi and secular area with some Anglos but mostly Israelis. I don't know if I would have named a Yiddish name as a first name because I didn't like them enough but if you want to and are naming after someone, then go ahead. You can also name in Hebrew and use the Yiddish as a nickname if you prefer.
The person I'd want to name after had 2 yiddish names and we wouldn't add a hebrew name, and we'd call the kid by the nickname the namesake was called, which is also yiddish, I think.

Seraph

Post Thu, May 05 2011, 3:57 am
TzenaRena wrote:
Easy for you to say, but you don't want your kids to hate you for life if you give them a name that causes them problems.

shalhevet

Post Thu, May 05 2011, 3:58 am
TzenaRena wrote:

I seem to remember there's a halacha somewhere that you are not allowed to give your child a name he will be mocked for.

I really don't understand your quote from the SA - it's about keeping halacha, not which names to choose for your children. This isn't about the OP deciding whether to give a Jewish name - it's about her deciding whether to call her child a Yiddish Jewish name or a Hebrew Jewish name. There is no halacha to not call your child Sara, Rivka, Rahel, Leah, Elisheva, Yael or Devorah Confused .

TzenaRena

Post Thu, May 05 2011, 4:03 am
Seraph wrote:
TzenaRena wrote:
Easy for you to say, but you don't want your kids to hate you for life if you give them a name that causes them problems.
it's not the name that cause them problems.

Seraph

Post Thu, May 05 2011, 4:10 am
TzenaRena wrote:
Seraph wrote:
TzenaRena wrote:
it's not the name that cause them problems.
Certain names in certain societies definitely cause problems. I know someone in a very modern circle who was called isser, and everyone nicknamed him isser the pisser or isser ben mutar ben patur... and this person really resented the name his parents gave him.

TzenaRena

Post Thu, May 05 2011, 4:10 am
shalhevet wrote:
TzenaRena wrote:

I seem to remember there's a halacha somewhere that you are not allowed to give your child a name he will be mocked for.

I really don't understand your quote from the SA - it's about keeping halacha, not which names to choose for your children. This isn't about the OP deciding whether to give a Jewish name - it's about her deciding whether to call her child a Yiddish Jewish name or a Hebrew Jewish name. There is no halacha to not call your child Sara, Rivka, Rahel, Leah, Elisheva, Yael or Devorah Confused .
naming for parents IS in the realm of halacha. Besides, minhag yisrael Torah hi. These names are minhag yisrael, and naming for parents and gandparents, and tzaddikim is minhag yisrael. Discouraging it is not just wrong, but against minhag yisrael. Minhag is even stronger than halacha in many ways.

Seraph

Post Thu, May 05 2011, 4:12 am
TzenaRena wrote:
Minhag is even stronger than halacha in many ways.
Huh? If the two contradict...

Minhag spelled backwards is gehenom.

shalhevet

Post Thu, May 05 2011, 4:21 am
TzenaRena wrote:
shalhevet wrote:
TzenaRena wrote:

naming for parents IS in the realm of halacha. Besides, minhag yisrael Torah hi. These names are minhag yisrael, and naming for parents and gandparents, and tzaddikim is minhag yisrael. Discouraging it is not just wrong, but against minhag yisrael. Minhag is even stronger than halacha in many ways.

You still haven't explained why it is against the Torah (or minhag) to call a daughter Esther, Tamar, Miriam, Avigail or Heftziba as opposed to Shprintza or Yenta. No one here is discussing using Christine, Madeline or Suzanne.

TzenaRena

Post Thu, May 05 2011, 4:25 am
--

Last edited by TzenaRena on Thu, May 05 2011, 4:28 am; edited 1 time in total

TzenaRena

Post Thu, May 05 2011, 4:27 am
Seraph wrote:
TzenaRena wrote:
Minhag is even stronger than halacha in many ways.
Huh? If the two contradict...

Minhag spelled backwards is gehenom.
yes, minhag ooisiyos gehennom is about so called minhagim that go against halacha, like the one that "allows" women to show part of their hair. this is a quote of the Tzemach Tzedek in his psak about how the hair must be entirely covered.

The "minhag" to mock Yiddishe kinder for their Yiddish names, named for their grandparents could be a prime example

TzenaRena

Post Thu, May 05 2011, 4:29 am
Quote:
You still haven't explained why it is against the Torah (or minhag) to call a daughter Esther, Tamar, Miriam, Avigail or Heftziba as opposed to Shprintza or Yenta.
I never said it was. But it's against the Torah to mock Jewish children and Jewish names.

merelyme

Post Thu, May 05 2011, 4:46 am
Rav Moshe has a teshuvah that it's assur to give a child a name that will be made fun of.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names