Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Sloppy joe recipe from Binah mag

ceo

Post Thu, May 05 2011, 10:43 am
Last week (I think?) there was a sloppy joe recipe in the Binah magazine, one of Brynie Greisman's recipes. It called for a box of penne in it. I accidentally gave it away before copying it down! can someone post it for me?

thanks.

Tova

Post Thu, May 05 2011, 11:13 am
I think Brynie writes for Mishpacha?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, May 05 2011, 11:42 am
It was in mishpacha.

It basically was what I do (but don't call sloppy joe) -- brown meat, add seasoning, tomato sauce, fill up can of tomato sauce with water, add pasta, cover and cook, stirring often.

yo'ma

Post Thu, May 05 2011, 11:52 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
It was in mishpacha.

It basically was what I do (but don't call sloppy joe) -- brown meat, add seasoning, tomato sauce, fill up can of tomato sauce with water, add pasta, cover and cook, stirring often.

To help make it taste manwich, the one from the can, I add a little ketchup to it.

ttbtbm

Post Thu, May 05 2011, 11:54 am
It looked good in the picture, but has anyone made it and tasted it yet?

deena19k

Post Thu, May 05 2011, 12:02 pm
Yes, I just made it last night for supper. Not so impressed. Very heavy. Everyone was only able to eat a little bit. Good as a side dish, not as a main dish.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, May 05 2011, 12:25 pm
The version I make is fine as a one dish meal. My whole family likes it. I don't use penne though. I use macaroni.

Our family doesn't do ketchup in foods...
Growing up, that's how my mother made sloppy joe: brown meat with ketchup and onion powder.

Not sure why this was called sloppy joe...sloppy joe is sloppy and eaten on buns.

Liba

Post Thu, May 05 2011, 12:34 pm
Hashem Yazor we had a whole conversation about that recipe at my house. It was not a sloppy joe... plus it called for jarred sauce and tomato paste. Sloppy Joes are spicy, this was pasta with half strength meat sauce.

I may still have my copy of the magazine with the recipe, if I remember to look for the magazine after I get the kids to sleep I will IY"H share, but I have no intention of making it. Smile

Last edited by Liba on Thu, May 05 2011, 12:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, May 05 2011, 12:35 pm
I must have missed the thread Smile

Liba

Post Thu, May 05 2011, 12:36 pm
HY, I just edited so it made more sense. Smile We had a talking conversation, not a typing one. LOL

fiddle

Post Thu, May 05 2011, 12:52 pm
I have a recipe for sloppy joes on my blog, feel free to check it out.

http://fiddlinginthekitchen.bl......html

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, May 05 2011, 1:17 pm
LOL Liba.... Smile

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, May 05 2011, 2:11 pm
ttbtbm wrote:
It looked good in the picture, but has anyone made it and tasted it yet?

I tried it, because the picture looked great, but. . . not worth a repeat, imo. First, I don't like the taste of pasta and sauce cooked together. Since the starch isn't rinsed off after cooking the pasta, you taste it and feel it while eating. It's very heavy. And it's really not a big deal to make a separate pot of pasta while the meat sauce is cooking. That way, you can put as much or as little sauce as you want on the pasta, and it's much lighter.

Also, the sauce was really nothing special- watered down tomato sauce and marinara. I prefer making my own sauce. Motek has recipe posted here for meat sauce/sloppy joes, and I love that one. It's a mix of tomato sauce, ketchup, and spices. I also add a bunch of veggies to saute with the onions for extra flavor and nutrients.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics