Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Sensitive child

amother

Post Wed, May 11 2011, 8:57 pm
4YO DS has always been tough. He is incredibly smart and his teachers suspect he is gifted although he hasn't been formally evaluated. He's always had behavior issues but we tested him for EVERYTHING under the sun and B'H isn't SPD, autistic, ADHD, ADD, BPD or any kind of psychological disorder. He's just... difficult. And emotional.

VERY emotional in fact. The older he gets, and the more I get to know him, I see exactly how emotionally sensitive he is. And by that I mean, he takes everything SO personally... Like time outs are a personal unforgiveable affront to him. When I get upset at him for hurting his brother he cries bitter tears bc I yelled at him. If dh has to tuck him in bed once in a while bc I'm busy helping his sister with her homework he throws himself on the floor, crying bitterly and tells me how his feelings are hurt bc I NEVER tuck him in bed...

I've also noticed he's very sensitive to the general ambiance. In the sense that if people around him are stressed, happy, upset, excited, he picks up on it RIGHT away and sort of appropriates it. I don't know if that's sensitivity though.

So here's my question. How do I parent him? He does tend to be oppositional, but every time I try to discipline him he breaks down...

And also, will his sensitivity turn into empathy one day? or are those 2 different qualities? if so, how do I foster empathy?

StrawberrySmoothie

Post Wed, May 11 2011, 9:17 pm
I am in middle of reading an amazing book. It was recommended to me by professionals and has been known to work. I am only up to the first stage and already seeing results.

Transforming the Difficult Child: The Nurtured Heart Approach By Howard Glasser

You can buy it on amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Transfor.....dpt_1
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)