Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Trip to Israel
1  2  Next

leahj

Post Tue, Sep 26 2006, 9:11 pm
We are planning a trip to Israel Mid December. going with 5 kids 6 and under. We want to rent an apt ouside of Jerusalem and Tzfat each for a week. Any tips, travel ideas, daytrip ideas. I've never been so open for any advice!

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Sep 27 2006, 6:24 am
there is a yahoo group called flathunting that has many rental listing and you can post something as well there to find a place to stay.
if I can think of anything else, I will write again.

amother

Post Wed, Sep 27 2006, 9:36 am
going to israel with 5 kids under the age of 6?!!!?!!!! Are you nuts????

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Sep 27 2006, 10:02 am
amother wrote:
going to israel with 5 kids under the age of 6?!!!?!!!! Are you nuts????

why is whe nuts?

shalhevet

Post Wed, Sep 27 2006, 10:11 am
There are plenty of families who live here with 5 children under the age of 6 and they manage just fine .... Very Happy

Some suggestions for trips:
In Yerushalayim: - the Biblical zoo
- the Old City, Kotel, walk on the walls
- the science museum is great even for small children (lots of hands-on exhibits etc)
- if you are here over Chanuka, just walking around and spotting chanukiot in any frum neighbourhood; many people light outside

In Tzefat area: - candle making factory in Tzefat
- if you rent a car there is a wonderful picnic area with an adventure playground on the road between Tzefat and Meron

mom3boys

Post Wed, Sep 27 2006, 11:40 am
Quote:
There are plenty of families who live here with 5 children under the age of 6 and they manage just fine .... Very Happy

Traveling and living are two very different situations. I wouldn't envy the flight and airport time or the jet lag and the adjustment.

lisaj, you are one brave mommy, Good luck

Smile

leahj

Post Wed, Sep 27 2006, 11:50 am
Maybe you think I'm crazy - I think excited! - just wanting to get there - we kept putting the trip off before and if not now when? - wait 5 -10 years?!!!

We are trying to be realistic about not doing too much in a day, and staying in an apt as opposed to a hotel. We are also taking along a teenage girl (17) with experience with large families (guess ours is considered small to medium!) We just went away on a trip with our kids for a week this summer and had a blast. It was a lot of work because we could not get kosher food anywhere so had to pack up for the day with lots of food and snacks- not a problem in Israel!

A little worried about the flight - but have been on 6 hour flights with them before. This is just double :lol:

We are renting a car so love the picnic idea. The biblical zoo sounds great too. Thanks for the tip on the yahoo group! Please keep ideas coming!

rainbow baby

Post Wed, Sep 27 2006, 12:11 pm
Two years ago I went with a 4 month old baby a 18 month old and a nearly 3 year old for a month. We never stayed in more then one place longer then 10 days. Everyone said it would be hell especially seeming the baby was breastfeeding. Well we had the most amazing time. The kids loved it. We had no routine and we just went with the flow.
That's my advise go with the flow if you want to go to bed late then do but stay in bed later. Let your routine go out of the window and just relaz and you will have an amazing time.

As for trips:- rosh hanikra there are cable cars with loads of activities to do at the top. The kids loved them.

Hamat Gader the crocodiles farm is amazing definately worth a visit.

I've forgotton the other places we went to but I'll ask my dh and I'll let you now later.

Good luck happy planning and enjoy!!!!!

Marion

Post Wed, Sep 27 2006, 2:59 pm
Since you'll have a car, Tveria. Haifa. There's a "Luna Park" (amusement park and water park), but I'm not sure where.

Imhappy!

Post Wed, Sep 27 2006, 3:02 pm
kibutz chofetz chaim is a fun waterpark

mali

Post Wed, Sep 27 2006, 3:12 pm
LisaJ, you can expect cold, rainy weather, especially in the Tzfat and Yerushalayim areas. I can help you with apt. rentals, if you're interested. You might like:
Mini-Israel
Manara - chairlift and other activities (I think a rocket damaged it this summer, but it'll be fixed by the time you come).
Massada and Dead Sea - that's the perfect season to go there.
Enjoy!!

shalhevet

Post Wed, Sep 27 2006, 3:35 pm
Imhappy! wrote:
kibutz chofetz chaim is a fun waterpark

But not in December. (It's closed anyway)

rainbow baby

Post Wed, Sep 27 2006, 3:46 pm
My dh is back and he suggested the cable cars at Manara near Kiryat Shamona.

Banyas it is beautiful in the summer don't know what it will be like in the winter.

Near the Dead Sea there are the Flour Caves, they are amazing to walk near, we never went into them but the kids enjoyed running around near them. If you want to go in then take torches with as there is no electricity so hence no lights.

The sound and light show at night at Massada was also amazing.

I can go on and on. We loved the Desert and had loads of days out there. If you want any more ideas then PM me.

Last edited by rainbow baby on Wed, Sep 27 2006, 3:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

rainbow baby

Post Wed, Sep 27 2006, 3:47 pm
mali wrote:

Manara - chairlift and other activities (I think a rocket damaged it this summer, but it'll be fixed by the time you come).
Enjoy!!

Sorry Mali I did not see that you had already written Manara.

leahj

Post Wed, Sep 27 2006, 8:21 pm
Getting more excited by the minute!!! :lol:

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Sep 28 2006, 3:21 am
just remember that in december time the outdoor things will probably be off limits because the rainy season starts after succot (sometimes on succcot:>) so take that into consideration.

BeershevaBubby

Post Thu, Sep 28 2006, 3:42 am
Due to the war over the summer, between the shelling and the rampant forest fires in the north, the Banyas have been virtually destroyed.

For a similar experience, go to Nachal David, near Ein Gedi.

I would plan both indoor and outdoor trips, since the weather is unpredictable in December.

There is the Mitzpe Ramon Crater in the Negev (south of Beer Sheva) which is supposed to be gorgeous.

sarahd

Post Thu, Sep 28 2006, 4:00 am
Kmelion wrote:
Due to the war over the summer, between the shelling and the rampant forest fires in the north, the Banyas have been virtually destroyed.

Crying It was so beautiful.

BeershevaBubby

Post Thu, Sep 28 2006, 4:33 am
you also might want to join Janglo at Yahoo groups. People are always posting about trips and such.

rainbow baby

Post Thu, Sep 28 2006, 5:09 am
Kmelion wrote:

There is the Mitzpe Ramon Crater in the Negev (south of Beer Sheva) which is supposed to be gorgeous.

They were totally amazing and breath taking and the kids had excellent fun running around them and climbing up the staris.. It is worth going into the visitors centre. There are many different craters.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics