Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Very Unsure-Immunize
1  2  Next

amother

Post Wed, Sep 27 2006, 12:17 am
We had a very tragic experience with our child, following MMR shot. He regressed and from being"normal" is now on Autistic spectrum. Coming from a very traditionaly medicaly oriented family myself I "know" all the research proving no link etc plus I see some showing some POSSIBLE scanty link. The point is I know with no doubts that this shot pushed him over the edge so to speak.
My huge dillema is our younger son also needed a MMR which even my conservative paediatrician appreciates my delaying this or possibly not giving it, BUT the MENINGITIS shot that I am totaly unsure and in a quandry about what to do.
I am feeling unsure about doing it and scared to do it. I know its a lot safer than MMR but I would like some feedback from ALL sides on specificaly this shot for a 1 year old. He is about 6 months overdue anyway.
(We have a friend whos child got this illness at 2 years of age, almost left this world, C"V, and has no hearing because of the disease. B"H she is now otherwise healthy besides hearing impaired.)

shopaholic

Post Wed, Sep 27 2006, 9:31 am
I was always worried about the MMR & I'm big on immunizing & medications etc. Not the natural type. DH has a 1st cousin who started regressing too, after his MMR & now is severly mentally disabled. Still, my doctor convinced me that studies have been done & it's fine. BH all my kids have had it & all are fine.

Having said that, if your older child is showing signs of autism since the MMR, I'd be very nervous to give it to your younger one.

JMto2

Post Wed, Sep 27 2006, 9:40 am
I have a friend who when she had a baby she did not want to give shots she is very natural in everything her husband was very for shots so what she did is went to the library and read up a lot of giving and not giving shots and she was able to see both sides and then made her decision doing this might help you in making your decision. I give my kids shots but they get them late always.

Shimmysmom

Post Wed, Sep 27 2006, 9:48 am
JMto2 wrote:
I have a friend who when she had a baby she did not want to give shots she is very natural in everything her husband was very for shots so what she did is went to the library and read up a lot of giving and not giving shots and she was able to see both sides and then made her decision doing this might help you in making your decision. I give my kids shots but they get them late always.

how does "giving them late" help?

Shimmysmom

Post Wed, Sep 27 2006, 9:50 am
amother- I am not asking to be mean, I am really wondering: how old was your child when this happened? is it possible that he was too young to really be displaying these symptoms before the immunization?

amother

Post Wed, Sep 27 2006, 4:12 pm
In terms of him being too young to display these symptoms, it was more like he had very specific skills, especialy language, dialouge etc. Example he would speak to me like" mommy go get treat up there" or I want to go sleep ..no more chicken, tummy full". He would answer my questions, he was advanced sometimes in language. After the shot he became non verbal, other than crying for something frustratedly, could not even answer a question, like what is your name.

amother

Post Wed, Sep 27 2006, 4:14 pm
OP here again...further he clearly did not have sensory issues, like loud noises, wanting shirt off, that came after shot. It was not even a progression, it was obvious and sudden.

amother

Post Wed, Sep 27 2006, 5:25 pm
im so sorry to hear that Crying thats so sad!

amother

Post Wed, Sep 27 2006, 5:28 pm
Not so sad because the good news is he is improving!!!
IY"H we will have somewhat of a recovery with time so he can be integrated etc:)))

Thats our tefilla!

carrot

Post Wed, Sep 27 2006, 5:57 pm
Shimmysmom wrote:
JMto2 wrote:

how does "giving them late" help?

They are older and bigger and their immune systems are stronger.

ChavieK

Post Wed, Sep 27 2006, 7:22 pm
I wanted to give each immunization separately. My dr office had trouble finding the mmr separated. She gave me one option which was complicated ,sorry I can't remember the source, so I relented. But you could ask ypur dr to do the research & get it separate.I think I did read that it may be the combo that does the damage.It's a tough choice.

LubavitchLeah

Post Wed, Sep 27 2006, 10:01 pm
May this year be Full of Brachas for healthy yiddishe children and bring us all peace and hatzlacha in every area of our lives!

Last edited by LubavitchLeah on Wed, Sep 27 2006, 11:41 pm; edited 2 times in total

amother

Post Wed, Sep 27 2006, 10:02 pm
I blew my cover:((
Please erase that from your mind.

Esther01

Post Wed, Sep 27 2006, 10:34 pm
I don't know who you are so you didn't blow your cover to me. I'm sorry about what happened to your son. he should have a refuah sheleima bekorov!!

anyway this is my point of view.

I did a lot of research AND the MMR are childhood disease that DOES NOT LEAVE A PERMANENT DAMAGE ON A CHILD. IT IS JUST LIKE CHICKEN POX. so I don't give that.

with meningitis, it's a sickness that is very scary but the shot does not guarantee you. my cousin got meningitis with the shot and unfourtunetly lost her hearing. my opinion is that a mother needs to be educated and know what to look out for. if you catch meningitis in the very beginning then nothing should happen. of course we need 'siyata dishmaya'. but I found that the biggest problem is that mothers are not educated and don't know anything about any sickness.

I hope I answered you a little bit.

hatzlacha with the decision.

anon

Post Wed, Sep 27 2006, 11:10 pm
OP, you can edit your post to become anonymous. Some of us saw you, but lots of ppl still didn't.

Go to the post where you blew your cover, press the edit button on the right, and then you can make yourself anonymous. If there's no option to make yourself anonymous, there will definitely be an option to delete the post entirely.

amother

Post Wed, Sep 27 2006, 11:42 pm
THANK YOU ANON:))))
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

JMto2

Post Thu, Sep 28 2006, 9:58 am
My mother is very into that we should give our children shots if we can prevent something my mother has MS and she said if tere was a shot to prevent it she would urge everyone to take it she said regarding the polio ask someone that has it if you should take it. I feel with the meningitis one we are doing our best to prevent it by giving our children the shot. Also for the one who asked why I give late shots I feel there bodies are stronger and would tolerate it better.

downsyndrome

Post Thu, Sep 28 2006, 10:04 am
My medically fragile daughter got the chicken pox vaccine in '04. She now has chicken pox on top of bronchitis! Go figure...

Jo

Post Thu, Sep 28 2006, 10:55 am
Esther01 wrote:
anyway this is my point of view.

I did a lot of research AND the MMR are childhood disease that DOES NOT LEAVE A PERMANENT DAMAGE ON A CHILD. IT IS JUST LIKE CHICKEN POX. so I don't give that.

with meningitis, it's a sickness that is very scary but the shot does not guarantee you. my cousin got meningitis with the shot and unfourtunetly lost her hearing. my opinion is that a mother needs to be educated and know what to look out for. if you catch meningitis in the very beginning then nothing should happen. of course we need 'siyata dishmaya'. but I found that the biggest problem is that mothers are not educated and don't know anything about any sickness.

I have to disagree with this post

MEASLES CAN KILL!!! It is NOT just like chicken pox. We have seen a lot of serious long term complications and deaths from measles in the UK since MMR uptake fell and incidence of measles has therefore gone up. Please everyone, take the threat of measles seriously.
Rubella although it is not a serious illness can cause very significant effects on the fetus, especially in the first few weeks of pregnancy, even before you might be aware that you are pregnant. Congenital rubella syndrome is something you want to avoid!
I will now get of my soapbox (and wait for the bashing that I am sure I will now get - but that's ok, I can take it...)

chavamom

Post Thu, Sep 28 2006, 11:01 am
downsyndrome wrote:
My medically fragile daughter got the chicken pox vaccine in '04. She now has chicken pox on top of bronchitis! Go figure...

A pediatrician told me this summer 'We've pretty much accepted that the chicken pox vaccine doesn't keep people from getting chicken pox, but it prevents the worst complications'. So much for the reasoning that we were going to vaccinate everyone to keep those who are immunocompromised (and can't get the shot) from getting chicken pox....
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics