Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets
Cat Food

Debbie

Post Mon, May 16 2011, 12:43 pm
Purely out of interest what do cat owners here feed their felines?
There is a school of though that says that raw food is best but others say that they are better off with a commercial food that has all the nutrients provided.
Also does anyone else find that some of the commercial foods smell awful?

I'm asking because there is so much hype about cat food and it is now said that the cat foods that have been around for decades are really no good.

cookie1

Post Wed, May 18 2011, 7:57 pm
I go to Petsmart and but the best dry food they have. Dry is much better, especially in the summer. It doesnt smell and is always fresh. Ask them there what they recommend. Good luck!

shaini

Post Wed, May 18 2011, 10:56 pm
My cat gets raw in the morning. In the summer before I go to work I usually get rid of the uneaten part so it doesn't attract insects/smell. In the evening she gets some tinned food. I also leave her some dry food and a container of water (essential) for during the day because I'm out at work for approx 9-10 hours a day. In reality with a cat they choose what they want to eat. Many a time I have bought what was her favourite flavoured tinned or dry food yesterday only to find today it's not her preferred flavour and therefore she will eat the dry food and not the tinned or vice versa. Also with my cat some of the more disgusting smelled tinned food is her preferred option. It is also recommended but my cat will not eat them is raw chicken wings. I have always found that a mixture of commercial and raw is best.

Debbie

Post Thu, May 19 2011, 3:01 am
cookie1 wrote:
I go to Petsmart and but the best dry food they have. Dry is much better, especially in the summer. It doesnt smell and is always fresh. Ask them there what they recommend. Good luck!

I give wet and dry as cats are known not to drink enough.
I agree about dry not smelling as much.

Debbie

Post Thu, May 19 2011, 3:07 am
shaini wrote:
My cat gets raw in the morning. In the summer before I go to work I usually get rid of the uneaten part so it doesn't attract insects/smell. In the evening she gets some tinned food. I also leave her some dry food and a container of water (essential) for during the day because I'm out at work for approx 9-10 hours a day. In reality with a cat they choose what they want to eat. Many a time I have bought what was her favourite flavoured tinned or dry food yesterday only to find today it's not her preferred flavour and therefore she will eat the dry food and not the tinned or vice versa. Also with my cat some of the more disgusting smelled tinned food is her preferred option. It is also recommended but my cat will not eat them is raw chicken wings. I have always found that a mixture of commercial and raw is best.

The raw feeding is really popular but would my cats want the best hecksher?
You are so right that they choose what they want and it's said that a cat would rather starve then eat something that wasn't to their taste and as for turning their noses up at a food they liked on the day before,I've had that on a few occasions and one time I bought them some more expensive food and they turned their noses up at that!

shaini

Post Sat, May 21 2011, 8:17 am
Debbie,

Cats sure have a mind of their own don't they. I guess that's why those of us that own cats like them.

Debbie

Post Sat, May 21 2011, 6:04 pm
shaini wrote:
Debbie,

Cats sure have a mind of their own don't they. I guess that's why those of us that own cats like them.

Shaini I rather think that the cats own us hence the saying:A dog has owners and a cat has staff.

persephonefalls

Post Wed, Feb 22 2012, 11:36 am
Coming to this post way late, but I just wanted to add what I've learned. When I adopted my cat, I had to sit through a cat care seminar from the adoption people, who told me under no uncertain terms that dry food is bad for cats, cats MUST have wet food, and any wet food that has grains in it (most of the not too pricey ones) are bad for your cat too.

When I asked my vet, and then discussed with another friend of mine who is a vet, they both disagreed. They said unless your cat is super picky and won't eat dry, dry food is absolutely fine, and better for your cat's teeth. And even if your cat has kidney issues and needs more moisture, there is even a moisture-enriched dry food you can buy!

They both agreed that wet food is for cat owners, and dry food is for cats. We used to give my cat mostly dry and a bit of wet every day, but we've since cut the wet out of her diet completely, and she hasn't missed it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets