Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Would You Tattletale On Ur Workmate?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Mon, May 16 2011, 11:43 pm
My workmate is really fooling around at work & isnt getting anything done. I am being bombarded with work cuz she is amazing at pretending that she's busy. I have a little evil voice inside of me that says I should snitch on her. I cringe watching her chat online & shop online & talk on her cell. AGGGGGGHHHH!

canada

Post Mon, May 16 2011, 11:45 pm
You have the exact same job as her?

amother

Post Tue, May 17 2011, 12:09 am
Not the same "exact" but similar. It's a very stressful job in a very busy company. She is older than me & laughs me in the face when I ask her to do a job taht I was given cuz I'm falling apart while she's snacking & chatting online! Seriously! Out of 6 hours of work she maybe worked 25 minutes...

Happy 2B

Post Tue, May 17 2011, 2:24 am
I think it would depend alot of the other worker was a Jew or a frum Jew. If it was a non Jew and I thought my bosses would listen I would definitely report her lack of action. If it was another Jew I'd ask a sheila because I would be inclined to yes report the lazy coworker. It is not right for you to have to work soooooo hard!!!!! Standing up for yourself is really important but I'd ask a sheila first if it was another Jew.

ally

Post Tue, May 17 2011, 3:15 am
Happy 2B wrote:
I think it would depend alot of the other worker was a Jew or a frum Jew. If it was a non Jew and I thought my bosses would listen I would definitely report her lack of action. If it was another Jew I'd ask a sheila because I would be inclined to yes report the lazy coworker. It is not right for you to have to work soooooo hard!!!!! Standing up for yourself is really important but I'd ask a sheila first if it was another Jew.

How would you feel if a non-jew wrote that post and switched around the terms Jew and Non-Jew?
I'm not asking about the halacha of Moser. I'm asking if it wouldn't bother you a little to read that about yourself.

r_ch

Post Tue, May 17 2011, 3:58 am
Musar tells us to mind what's our business and concentrate on what we can do in the situation given. Like, it's her problem and you should mind the side of it, that comes unto you. Sometimes it helps, but mostly I have the same question, as you do. There's another problem though. If you tattletale on someone, they should try to improve their working attitude, and probably even fire the lazy one, but they should fire you afterwards as well. Please, remember that. Although I'm interested what the others've got to say on this one. I'm always at a loss, when something like that happens, and it happens quite often.

mimivan

Post Tue, May 17 2011, 4:10 am
ally wrote:
Happy 2B wrote:

How would you feel if a non-jew wrote that post and switched around the terms Jew and Non-Jew?
I'm not asking about the halacha of Moser. I'm asking if it wouldn't bother you a little to read that about yourself.

also if a frum or non frum Jew is blatantly wasting the company's resources like this in a way that is noticeable, it is not a kiddush Hashem

could you speak to her first at a quiet time. Maybe meet her outside of work. A coffee shop. And have a heart to heart about it. Just say it like "I care about you and I don't want you to get in trouble (not a veiled threat) it isn't fair to the rest of us. I understand you have things to do and I want to talk to you before the manager does. You are fun to work with and be around etc...and I'd like to see you keep your position...just some advice.

Shopmiami49

Post Tue, May 17 2011, 4:44 am
At my mom's workplace, she had the same scenario. She was bombarded with TONS of work in addition to her regular share b/c a co-worker of hers (frum woman) was fooling around most of the day. Afer my mother tried several times to talk some sense into her co-worker, who also happens to be a good friend of hers, the situation got to a point were it was not manageable any more. My mother went to the boss and told him "Listen, I am being bombarded with lots of extra work and I have been staying overtime to do it. Most of it is not my regular workload and it;s making me wonder if there are other employees who are slacking off, causing me to pick up the tab. Can you make a general announcement at our next meeting?"

Sure enough, the boss called together a meeting and mentioned that he has noticed several people slacking off, breaking the rules, doing personal things on the computer, and the office would start cracking down on them. He warned all the employees to stick to their work and that the computers would be monitored. Well, what do you know? My mother is back to regular time at work with her regular workload. Her co-worker is much more careful and did not suspect a thing.

amother

Post Tue, May 17 2011, 5:46 am
I just snitched on a co-worker and feel a little bad about it. Especially since I have no idea if it will help.
I work for a company, management is all frum. One of the non-Jewish employees messes up all the time, it makes me and the company look unprofessional and stupid. She deletes evidence of doing things and does not document anything. It makes work impossible.
I called the office manager and told her all this. A person can mess up all the time, but if in one day I speak to 6 clients and they tell me about a conversation they had with her that she did not document and messed up- it is crazy! I feel bad because she was a nice woman but she has way too much responsiblity than she can handle.

Kayza

Post Tue, May 17 2011, 9:04 am
r_ch wrote:
Musar tells us to mind what's our business and concentrate on what we can do in the situation given. Like, it's her problem and you should mind the side of it, that comes unto you.

Not exactly - if the OP winds up doing the other person's work, it IS her business. Musar would say to work on yourself not to feel resentment, but in terms of taking practical action, that's another issue. I think asking a Rov is not a bad idea.
Quote:

Sometimes it helps, but mostly I have the same question, as you do. There's another problem though. If you tattletale on someone, they should try to improve their working attitude, and probably even fire the lazy one, but they should fire you afterwards as well.

Why should they fire her too?

intrigued

Post Tue, May 17 2011, 9:20 am
Happy 2B wrote:

The Halalcha has nothing to do with being Frum. Since when is a non frum jew not part of our religion?

Chayalle

Post Tue, May 17 2011, 9:21 am
I had this situation a few years ago, with a coworker who was on the same project as me and I did 80% of the work. I didn't do anything about it but I think Shopmiami49's advice is excellent.

In the end, my boss picked up on who was worth keeping and who wasn't. The guy was let go.

auntie_em

Post Tue, May 17 2011, 9:32 am
intrigued wrote:
Happy 2B wrote:

The Halalcha has nothing to do with being Frum. Since when is a non frum jew not part of our religion?

I think she mistyped and meant a non-Jew or a (frum) Jew. Regardless, I disagree with the sentiment.

I think Shopmiami's advice is really good!

Shopmiami49 wrote:
At my mom's workplace, she had the same scenario. She was bombarded with TONS of work in addition to her regular share b/c a co-worker of hers (frum woman) was fooling around most of the day. Afer my mother tried several times to talk some sense into her co-worker, who also happens to be a good friend of hers, the situation got to a point were it was not manageable any more. My mother went to the boss and told him "Listen, I am being bombarded with lots of extra work and I have been staying overtime to do it. Most of it is not my regular workload and it;s making me wonder if there are other employees who are slacking off, causing me to pick up the tab. Can you make a general announcement at our next meeting?"

Sure enough, the boss called together a meeting and mentioned that he has noticed several people slacking off, breaking the rules, doing personal things on the computer, and the office would start cracking down on them. He warned all the employees to stick to their work and that the computers would be monitored. Well, what do you know? My mother is back to regular time at work with her regular workload. Her co-worker is much more careful and did not suspect a thing.

Tziril Miriam

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 7:05 pm
I had an accounting job with a group where one person worked on own business (dressmaking) most of the day. She gave free custom clothing to our middle-manager boss, so boss-lady was happy, and expected the rest of the group to accomplish all tasks. This went on for years.

Then once the dressmaker was outside on a smoking break, and a personal call came in from her mother. (I just realized, this job was in the 1990's before we all had cellphones.) Someone in our accounting group told the mother that her daughter was outside smoking, but would take a message. Mother said that her daughter had stopped smoking years ago.

Well, the seamstress was there when I myself left, and she was still sewing, but her family life became much more complicated.

rednavy

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 7:34 pm
Don't tattle! It's bad etiquette and even if her work is examined, you will have been the (jealous) bearer of bad news.

Her lack of contribution will come to light on its own and you will be happy that you kept your integrity. Heck, if one thing leads to another you might even get her salary Dancing

Last edited by rednavy on Wed, Aug 27 2014, 8:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

justforfun87

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 7:56 pm
My husband had a coworker like this that drove him nuts. Difference was she had what seemed like a drug problem and slept all day, took hour long breaks. My husband wanted to tell on her but he asked his Rabbi first. This girl was Jewish. Since the amount of work did not increase for my husband due to her lack of work ethic he was told not to say anything. Whether she slept all day or not did not adversly effect his workload. I am assuming therefore if the work increases for you then that would be a different story. Ask your rav.

rising hero

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 8:03 pm
I'd just like to point out that this thread is three years old. Carry on if you like.

rednavy

Post Wed, Aug 27 2014, 9:21 pm
Madam F. wrote:
I'd just like to point out that this thread is three years old. Carry on if you like.

I didn't notice. Thanks

Ima Piano

Post Wed, Feb 05 2020, 11:56 am
My coworker snitched on me but it wasn't true..I was working she was snoozing I was so mad. But thank God my boss picked up on it and made it clear he knew the truth

Hatzlach

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Feb 05 2020, 11:58 am
Fraidelea wrote:
My coworker snitched on me but it wasn't true..I was working she was snoozing I was so mad. But thank God my boss picked up on it and made it clear he knew the truth

Hatzlach

This thread is 6 years old, I'm sure the issue is resolved by now. Why are you bringing it up now?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette