Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Need ideas to calm afternoon/evening chaos

Meema2Kids

Post Wed, Sep 27 2006, 2:42 pm
The late afternoon/evening at our house is very stressful. I'm trying to figure out ways to make it less so. Our schedule is basically:

1 pm - pick up at preschool, 3 younger kids take nap, I usually work at this time (at home)
3:30 pm - pick up DD at kindergarten
6 pm - DH gets home from work, and currently mincha is about 6:45
7 - 7:30 pm - bedtime (try to give each child 5 - 10 minutes)

From the time we get home from K pickup, all the kids are screaming, whining, demanding my attention and/or food. I try to have dinner for all of us to eat together, but that usually ends up even worse. Then by the time they are all in bed I'm exhausted, but still have to clean up the kitchen, pack up lunches, and get ready for the next day.

I'm looking for ideas on how to make this time more enjoyable, less stressful... What works for you?

Tovah

Post Wed, Sep 27 2006, 3:08 pm
have a specail snack ready for them on the table when they come home from school then they can all unwind at the table

Imhappy!

Post Wed, Sep 27 2006, 3:14 pm
I give my kids an ice pop when they come home from school. this pushes them to use the bathroom, wash up so they can get the ice pop.

I would also suggest you try giving dinner in shifts sounds like more work but its really much easier (for me) hungry kids are naggy kids and if you snack them up too much you'll have a hell of a meal.

maybe you can divide the meal time like you sit and EAT together with the little kids and your husband can eat together with the bigger ones.

gryp

Post Wed, Sep 27 2006, 3:50 pm
what works for me is to make plates for the kids before they are ready to eat. that way they just sit down and eat, and they dont have to ask a million times for what they want.

realeez

Post Wed, Sep 27 2006, 5:07 pm
Put PJs on as early as possible! Makes evenings much much calmer.

Sparkle

Post Wed, Sep 27 2006, 5:24 pm
Can you get a mother's helper for that one hour that is really difficult?

happymom

Post Wed, Sep 27 2006, 5:29 pm
when I was growing up, we ate supper right when we got home from school which was at 4. maybe u can have supper ready before u pick up your daughter from school so that when they come home they can eat supper right away... I think kids are so hingry after a full day of school. it is kind of early but a late snack would work cuz then they wont be hungry when they go to bed....

Tefila

Post Wed, Sep 27 2006, 5:43 pm
Quote:
have a specail snack ready for them on the table when they come home from school then they can all unwind at the table

Yep
For me I have snacks on the table like fruit and granola bars so if they r hungry they can munch on some till supper time.

tziviakayla

Post Wed, Sep 27 2006, 5:55 pm
Before my kids come home from school, I try to relax a little bit. I nap on the couch with my 4 year old or read to her. Sometimes I even take a quick shower to wake myself up. I feed the baby before the 3 big kids get home and make my toddler and 4 year old a snack. I also have a snack and a big glass of orange juice!

When the older kids get home, they have a snack of grapes, crackers and cheese. They can also finish leftovers from their lunch. I don't let them have any junk after school...it makes them too hyper before bed and ruins dinner!

After snack, they do their homework and play for a bit.

If dinner is done, they eat. I usually wait until later to eat. I feed the baby while they eat.

They get into pj's and put out their clothes for the next day.

If we are having a good, smooth evening they like to make their own lunches.'

They wash up and brush their teeth. I get my 2 year old ready for bed. I sing and read with my 4 year old and 6 year old who share a room. Then I do the same with my 8 and 9 year old.

Certain nights are bath nights, so the routine takes a little longer and is a little different. Genrerally, they are in bed by 7.

Then I get to relax! During the week, dh works very late. So, I have dinner, clean up a bit, and read! I make a plate for dh. Depending on how late he will return, I either wait up or go to sleep!

withhumor

Post Wed, Sep 27 2006, 7:30 pm
I tired a bunch of things and for now, the only thing that works is to mentally establish in my mind that after 3 o’clock, there is absolutely no ME time. No cooking, cleaning, laundry, bring in the mail… nothing! I sit there on my couch, and stare into space. This way, the kids know that I’m ‘there for them’ and if they know that, they actually don’t need me! They do not nag and whine because they know I’m there in mind and body! I actually enjoy doing ‘nothing’ and then I calmly give supper whenever they ask. I stopped giving supper at a given time because they weren’t always hungry at the same time each day.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics