Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
B"H I'm getting to know my child again.

amother

Post Wed, May 18 2011, 7:24 pm
Ds is extremely bright/gifted but he's 4 and has not been tested yet. He also has speech, PT, OT and a SEIT. I was also told that he might be/have ODD, and he has a bunch of sensory issues - he's a seeker.

A few months ago, life was REALLY challenging. I was calling all over to get him a neruopysch eval, which most people won't do for 4 yos, getting his screened for ODD, getting him a psychotherapist that he could talk to about his ANGER.

B"H while things are certainly not consistently good, life is so much better. He's doing so well (much more at school than home, but that's ok with me, at least he'll have friends), that his teacher called me today to tell me how well he did today. And she never calls anyone for anything...even if they call her first Smile

So, what have I learned? 1) Read "Boris Bad Enough" by http://www.amazon.com/Boris-Ba.....68951 2) Obviously our behavior affected him a lot, but really, because he's so sensory sensitive, it affected him much more than other kids. 3) After talking to someone, I think a lot of it is stimulus/sensory overload issues. He would be doing great and we'd cheer and reward him and then he's be awful. We realize cheering, lots of praise, all of that would set him off. So, we do less, we smile and have a treat, and he's so much better. No bad behavior after the good.

I guess I'm writing this because a few months ago, I wanted to run away from home because I couldn't deal with it anymore and now, life is just so much better.

lollygirl

Post Wed, May 18 2011, 7:44 pm
Very Happy Glad to hear! May the good only continue and you shep lots of naches!

gryp

Post Wed, May 18 2011, 8:02 pm
Thank you for sharing.
May you have lots of nachas from him and easy times ahead.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)