Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Do Names ending in "y/I" sound weird with middle n
1  2  Next

amother

Post Wed, May 18 2011, 8:01 pm
For ex: Orly. That's not a nickname, but a real name. So I think it sounds weird to have a regular nickname after a nickname-ish type name. Orly malka sounds weird , right???? But Ora Malka sounds fine!

Are there any names that sound nice after an "ee" sounding name? Do you agree or disagree with this?

THANKS!

amother

Post Wed, May 18 2011, 8:51 pm
I think there are "y" names that go with other ones...like Shani, for example

zaq

Post Wed, May 18 2011, 9:02 pm
amother wrote:
Orly malka sounds weird , right???? !

wrong. It sounds fine. But it's hard to say b/c it has too many consonants. It would end up as Ory malka, or, worse, orly makkah, if people don't enunciate very carefully.

I don't get your point about an -ee name followed by a nickname. malka is a real name, not a nickname. Dd you mean "orly Malkie"? that isn't exactly weird, it's just too-too. It has nothing to do with being a nickname, it has to do with too many ee sounds, making her sound like a couple of dwarfs. Orly Shirli or Shirley Daphne or Mary Lily or Sneezy Sleepy, take your pick.

LiLIsraeli

Post Wed, May 18 2011, 10:06 pm
I don't like how a name ending with y/I sounds before another name.

I agree with you in that sense.

Like Shani Esther doesn't sound good, but Shoshana Esther sounds fine.

maofboys

Post Wed, May 18 2011, 10:20 pm
you can make the ee name the middle name and then just use it instead of the first. many people go by their middle name.

zaq

Post Wed, May 18 2011, 10:43 pm
LiLIsraeli wrote:
I don't like how a name ending with y/I sounds before another name.

I agree with you in that sense.

Like Shani Esther doesn't sound good, but Shoshana Esther sounds fine.

Totally disagree. Shani Esther sounds fine. Shoshana esther is way too long and also has too many consonants. Staggers off the tongue instead of flowing.

zaq

Post Wed, May 18 2011, 10:47 pm
I take it back. Shani esther sounds like something you make tablecloths out of, or am I confusing her with her sister Polly?

LiLIsraeli

Post Wed, May 18 2011, 11:23 pm
zaq wrote:
I take it back. Shani esther sounds like something you make tablecloths out of, or am I confusing her with her sister Polly?

Lol but that wasn't quite what I meant. Smile

I agree with the OP that names ending with y/I don't sound good before another name. Maybe it's just something that we've been socialized to and people from other cultures don't see it. Like Mary Jane sounds fine - but compare Esther Malka (a very typical Jewish combination) with Esti Malka.

zaq

Post Wed, May 18 2011, 11:57 pm
I must be slow, but I'm not seeing the problem with Esti malka. except for the fact that I'm not into nicknames and diminutives in general, and nicknames/diminutives ending in ee in particular. Not because there's anything wrong with them but because that's all you hear. Scout's honor, I once called somebody whose answering machine said "You've reached the house of Mr. and Mrs. X, Sammy, Joey, Yaeli, Racheli, Sruli, Tamari, Davidi and Max." I'm joking of course--they didn't have a kid named Max. But that's just too much EEgotism for me.

Isramom8

Post Thu, May 19 2011, 7:41 am
What name other than Orlee naturally ends in y/i/ee?
I also don't like the sound of Orly Malka and similar.

zaq

Post Thu, May 19 2011, 7:58 am
Isramom8 wrote:

Shirley, Molly, Polly, Stacey,Brandy, Brittany, Daisy, Maisie, Normandy...ok, I'm kidding, there's no girls' name Normandy. Yet.

Shirli (not Shirley but sheer-li, "a song to me"), Ori (my light), Uzi (masculine) Uri (masculine), Libi (not diminutive for Elizabeth or Liebe, but "my heart", Nili (rashei tevot for Netzach Yisrael Lo Yishaker and a Hebrew feminine given name), Nisi (my miracle or my banner) and pretty much any modern Israeli name that means "My_______"

amother

Post Thu, May 19 2011, 9:25 am
amother wrote:
Orly malka sounds weird , right?

No, to my ears "Orly Malka" sounds lovely, and I don't think it is hard to pronounce. My own English name, which is not a diminutive, has a similar cadence - as do the names of others in my family (hence the "amother"). Not a problem.

Ruchel

Post Thu, May 19 2011, 9:45 am
I don't think I names sound weird with middle names.

amother

Post Thu, May 19 2011, 11:54 am
Isramom8 wrote:
Nomi

Mommy3.5

Post Thu, May 19 2011, 7:38 pm
amother wrote:
Isramom8 wrote:
Nomi
Nomi, is a nick name for Naomi/Neaami depending on how you pronounce it. (we have a thread debating that out somewhere...)

amother

Post Fri, May 20 2011, 1:51 am
Mommy3.5 wrote:
amother wrote:
Isramom8 wrote:
Nomi
Nomi, is a nick name for Naomi/Neaami depending on how you pronounce it. (we have a thread debating that out somewhere...)
Actually, my daughter's Hebrew name is Nomi. (Some pronounce it Ni ah mee, but Nomi is my daughter's given name. Her nickname is Naomi.

Isramom8

Post Fri, May 20 2011, 4:02 am
Other than Nomi, I can't think of any original Jewish name that ends in y/ee. Okay, Shimi ben Gera.

Nomi should technically be pronounced N' oh mee (3 syllables) because the shva under the nun is a shva na being part of the first syllable, and the kamatz is like in Mordechai. (I didn't see the debate thread.) And the last syllable should be accented.

Lert's all listen when the baal koreh reads Megilas Rus this year, if we can get to shul!

Ruchel

Post Fri, May 20 2011, 9:42 am
I wrote an article on that. There are definitely Jewish names ending in -I, and traditional nicknames too (very old ones like Yossi etc), but most used today are pure trend, no history.

zaq

Post Fri, May 20 2011, 10:46 am
Isramom8 wrote:
Other than Nomi, I can't think of any original Jewish name that ends in y/ee. Okay, Shimi ben Gera.

Yechezkel ben Buzi
Mal'achi
Yiftach haGil'adi (ok, that's cheating, "Gil'adi" meaning "of Gil'ad")
The Kohen Gadol Eli.

ETA
Ben-Oni
Ben-Ami

Granted only his mother called him Ben-Oni and she died when he was born, but it was still his name,.

Last edited by zaq on Fri, May 20 2011, 11:24 am; edited 1 time in total

zaq

Post Fri, May 20 2011, 10:53 am
Isramom8 wrote:
the shva under the nun is a shva na being part of the first syllable, and the kamatz is like in Mordechai. (I didn't see the debate thread.) And the last syllable should be accented.

Don't think so. It's a kamatz followed by a chataf kamatz and correctly pronounced as kamatz katan, or Naw-aw-mi like in Mordechai. Good one, I was thinking like the O in a New yorker's coffee, but the o in Mordechai is exactly right, being also a kamatz katan.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names