Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets
Spaying a dog

amother

Post Thu, May 19 2011, 7:48 pm
We took DS to adopt a dog from our local shelter. The dog DS selected had just had puppies and had just finished nursing her babies when we brought her home. One of the contracts we signed was that we would bring her back to be spayed and at the time I just totally forgot it mite be a halchic consideration. She is scheduled for surgery next Wednesday. Is it really so bad to spay a female? I know males are not allowed, but I think I remember that spaying is against Tzur Baalei Chayim. Any way around this? We really don't need to her to have any more puppies.

amother

Post Sun, May 22 2011, 5:19 pm
Bump, bump! HELP!

amother

Post Sun, May 22 2011, 5:19 pm
Bump, bump! HELP!

amother

Post Sun, May 22 2011, 5:31 pm
I think it might be ok. My mother spayed our cats once they had one litter. (she felt bad depriving them of motherhood lol) She did not get males for this reason.

But.......ask a rav.

michal817

Post Sun, May 22 2011, 5:48 pm
Definitely AYLOR. Our rav gave us a heter to spay our cat, but not all rabbis hold that it's allowed.

Mirabelle

Post Sun, May 22 2011, 6:17 pm
All my dogs have been spayed...it's also the law in the US to spay dogs from shelters.

I actually think if I want to be specific that all of the dogs that we have adopted were technically already spayed before we got them....

marina

Post Sun, May 22 2011, 6:46 pm
people do the whole sell-it-for-a-dollar to the vet before the operation so it is technically not yours.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets