Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Should I try a synthetic wig? I want to try a color change.

Mevater

Post Fri, May 20 2011, 3:15 pm
Ive heard of Paula Young, but Id prefer to go somewhere to see the colors.

Any places for buying decent quality synthetics in NYC where I can see a good selection of colors?

suzyq

Post Fri, May 20 2011, 3:50 pm
I bought a wig for Purim once at Beauty 35 - it's a beauty supply shop on the corner of 8th Avenue and 35th Street. They had lots and lots of synthetic stuff for cheap prices. I don't know if they were the best quality, but it can't hurt to check them out.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, May 20 2011, 5:49 pm
Synthetic color can be garish. You know where you should look - in Boro Park or Williamsburg, where (some of the) ladies don't wear customs; they get the better synthetics there.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, May 20 2011, 5:53 pm
Ye olde beauty supply shop.
BTW, have you checked out Paula Young's Especially Yours division?

Maya

Post Fri, May 20 2011, 5:59 pm
suzyq wrote:
I bought a wig for Purim once at Beauty 35 - it's a beauty supply shop on the corner of 8th Avenue and 35th Street. They had lots and lots of synthetic stuff for cheap prices. I don't know if they were the best quality, but it can't hurt to check them out.

Some of these stores also sell human hair wigs for slightly more money than the synthetics. Maybe those are worth a try.

Mevater

Post Fri, May 20 2011, 7:31 pm
Maya wrote:
suzyq wrote:

Some of these stores also sell human hair wigs for slightly more money than the synthetics. Maybe those are worth a try.
Then there's the Hechsher problem (Indian etc).

real

Post Tue, May 13 2014, 8:20 pm
Hi,

try this store- they have a ton of real looking synthetic wigs and I have bought a few. They are very nice feeling and I have gotten major compliments on them

they also started selling human hair wigs- and some new company named Ahuva wigs-it seems to be a less expensive kosher European hair wig

stores.ebay.com/qualityforless1

Happy18

Post Tue, May 13 2014, 8:21 pm
This thread is from years ago

Dolly Welsh

Post Tue, May 13 2014, 8:41 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
Synthetic color can be garish. You know where you should look - in Boro Park or Williamsburg, where (some of the) ladies don't wear customs; they get the better synthetics there.

The quality of construction is good for all synthetic wigs. The feel of the hair can vary but it's all what it is designed to be. Some are thicker-haired than others. The thinner ones look more natural.

Yes, costume or party wigs don't pretend to look natural.

Yet you can get a presentable dark brown wig even in a store that sells party wigs. But their blond ones may not look as natural. If you like black, they may well have that too.

A softer effect, with mixed shading, and highlights, can be got online. You may be returning some.

Somebody ought to sell them privately in homes. You can get them wholesale from Alibaba.

Last edited by Dolly Welsh on Tue, May 13 2014, 8:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

mizle10

Post Tue, May 13 2014, 8:48 pm
Am I the only one who noticed this poster pulling up old synthetic wig posts to promote this one ebay seller??

real

Post Tue, May 13 2014, 8:55 pm
that's because I really like this store and feel like the frum community could benefit from having a wig store that doesn't rip them off

mizle10

Post Tue, May 13 2014, 8:58 pm
Maybe just start a new post saying that rather than pulling up 4 threads from years ago...

Happy18

Post Tue, May 13 2014, 8:58 pm
mizle10 wrote:
Am I the only one who noticed this poster pulling up old synthetic wig posts to promote this one ebay seller??

Nope you're not the only one.

real

Post Tue, May 13 2014, 8:59 pm
ok- sorry- don't go on this site too much- as you can tell by my lack of being an active poster. it seems more complicated to start a new thread than to add to an old one

Dolly Welsh

Post Tue, May 13 2014, 9:01 pm
So what new color are you considering?

Mevater

Post Tue, May 13 2014, 10:44 pm
Im still looking for a place in Brooklyn or Manhattan where I can see and feel the synthetic wigs in my hand. Otherwise its hit or miss.... and people usually miss. I cant believe I havent heard of one big store with selection of synthetics in NYC. In the blondes matching the color is not easy. The swatches the mail order companies send are too small to judge color well and then you have to pay for the return shipping. Any ideas for a good selection in blonde (my color is lighter than 16/10 but darker than 24/14/12, so in human I take 16/10 and highlight)? Any ideas?

TIA

Dolly Welsh

Post Tue, May 13 2014, 10:56 pm
Mevater, you just have to look good, and look like yourself. You don't have to exactly match your own hair. Well that's my viewpoint, anyway.

You might want to have a phone call, or computer chat session, with Paula Young or Vogue Wigs websites' customer service people, to discuss the shade you want. They do that, I think.

You might also ask them if they have a showroom, factory outlet, or retail site where you can see their merchandise in person.

But the wigs are all made in China from Japanese fiber.

Kitten

Post Tue, May 13 2014, 11:06 pm
They have many beauty supply stores in Manhattan that carry cheap sheitels. Once, I really wanted to try blond and I thought it could look good. I even brought my DH to the store. I will always remember his reaction, and mine too! Yes, you need to try. Also, don't go from one extreme to the other, like if you have black hair, don't go for blond.
Meanwhile, I don't think those beauty supply stores have so many different kinds of blond.

Mevater

Post Tue, May 13 2014, 11:37 pm
Dolly Welsh wrote:
....You might want to have a phone call, or computer chat session, with Paula Young or Vogue Wigs websites' customer service people, to discuss the shade you want. They do that, I think.

You might also ask them if they have a showroom, factory outlet, or retail site where you can see their merchandise in person......
I dont want to change my color, I want to get similar to what I wear. Its funny to wear different colors different days. I think the only way to buy online is to choose five and hope that of the five youll like one. It would be much easier if there were a showroom. I think I called Paula Young years ago, and there are no showrooms in NY. Anyhow, Renne of Paris and Raquel Welch are better quality, Ive heard. AFAIK theres no place with a large selection, to try on different styles and see the different colors of any brand of synthetics in NY.

Dolly Welsh

Post Wed, May 14 2014, 12:05 am
Order a few from Paula Young, after talking to a rep. Measure very carefully so the length is no surprise (people's heads vary widely: it doesn't matter how long it looks on the model, it might be short on you).

Having found one you like, return the others unopened (you can see the color without taking it completely out of the package).

Then get a few of the one you like.

Then, that's your look. Retire the other one or wear it to simchas only, or whatever you want.

Four wigs at sixty dollars apiece is $240.

You will also need some synthetic wig shampoo (five or six drops in the sink) a few open wig stands, and a very wide-tooth plastic comb with a handle. Comb only when quite dry.

17101 is a subdued low-key blonde that is not showy or yellow. It isn't all that light. You will get away with it. Nobody will know you are wearing a wig.

People fiddle with their natural hair all the time, so why should you have to look consistent from one week to the next.

I agree with the poster up there who said that a complete change will startle. We do not want to scare the horses.

Look carefully at the customers' photos of themselves in the wigs, if available. You will see what it does in the wild.

You can make them smaller or larger. I have one I had to cut in several places because the cap was very small. No problem.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels