Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
My oldest....!

Sofia2

Post Thu, Sep 28 2006, 3:25 pm
Speaking of Upsherins, we are cutting our sons' hair on Erev Succos!
This is my oldest and I am really excited.
I'm not sure how to celebrate, though. Since his birthday falls out on Succos night, I cant really make a whole party on his birthday. And who cuts the hair? A Rabbi, family, a barber...?
And are we ALLOWED to do the haircut if his birthday is only that night?
I dont know what to plan!
Anyone experienced in this?

su7kids

Post Thu, Sep 28 2006, 7:16 pm
As for "allowing" when to cut the hair, ask your rav or wherever you get your Minhag from.

Our son's birthday is on Rosh Hashana and 13 years ago he had his upsherenish and we did it Motzei RH, because his 3 years weren't fully up yet.

Just ask.

shalhevet

Post Thu, Sep 28 2006, 7:20 pm
I also heard not to do it before the 3 years are completely up, just like you can't eat the fruit of an orla tree till the 3 years are finished.

shalhevet

Post Thu, Sep 28 2006, 7:25 pm
Oh and our first son's upsheren was the first in the family, which means you don't HAVE to do anything. Do whatever minhagim which you like. You can decide who cuts his hair / what you do etc. Ask your rav if there's anything he particularly suggests and, apart from that, ask other people what they've done and choose what appeals to you.

gryp

Post Thu, Sep 28 2006, 7:38 pm
cant you do the upshernish the night before when his bday begins? I know a few people who did that since their sons bdays are erev yomtov.

there are really no rules about who cuts what where and when. in Lubavitch we hold that a choshuve person should be the first one to cut and he should start right next to where the peyos will be left, to teach the child about leaving his peyos untouched. and also, whoever gives the first (full) haircut should be Jewish.

ask your Rav how it works in your circles.

shopaholic

Post Thu, Sep 28 2006, 9:06 pm
DS was born Erev Shavuos so DH cut a piece of his hair on his birthday (I put it in his baby book) & 3 days later, on Isru Chag, we made the party & cut the rest. We felt it was important to cut SOMETHING on his b-day.

Yael

Post Thu, Sep 28 2006, 9:35 pm
but if his birthday is on sukkos- the yom tov itself, you wouldnt be allowed to cut until after yom tov is over.

shanie5

Post Thu, Sep 28 2006, 9:42 pm
not necesarily. When my dd cut her hair erev succos, and there was no way to have it fixed b4 yt, the rov said I could get her a haircut on yt. I think I was also told that children can have their hair cut on yt in general, but not sure.-ask your LOR.

Yael

Post Thu, Sep 28 2006, 9:51 pm
What???
Cut hair on Yom Tov??? shock

never heard of it......
and I'm pretty sure its assur.

unless you mean take her to a [gentile] who would cut it for her.
but in this case we are talking about an upshernish boy, who should not be getting his first haircut from a [gentile] anyway.

Sofia2

Post Thu, Sep 28 2006, 9:52 pm
I actually did ask a Rav a few hours ago...he said to cut it on Erev Yom Tov before chatzot.
Taking him for pictures tommorow!
Thanks alot everyone.

shanie5

Post Thu, Sep 28 2006, 10:02 pm
I thought it was assur also, but obviously not........
(at least thats what I learned 2 yrs ago)

Tefila

Post Thu, Sep 28 2006, 10:03 pm
Quote:
When my dd cut her hair erev succos, and there was no way to have it fixed b4 yt, the rov said I could get her a haircut on yt. I think I was also told that children can have their hair cut on yt in general, but not sure.-ask your LOR.

Yael I have a feeling shanie5 must've meant chol hamoed Confused please confirm shanie coz it sounds the way you wrote it........ OYYYY shock

shanie5

Post Thu, Sep 28 2006, 10:04 pm
yes, I meant chol hamoed-not yt itself-sorry about that!!!!! embarrassed embarrassed
(thanx tefila)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics