Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
What's your go-to easy shabbos cake?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

jewishmom6

Post Thu, Sep 06 2018, 1:02 pm
sure looks like it.

imasoftov

Post Fri, Sep 07 2018, 1:13 am
lkwdlady wrote:
Anyone know if you mix the ingredients after you pour the liquids on top? I’m assuming you do...
Tranquilityandpeace are you still on here??

yes, mix until everything is combined

lkwdlady

Post Fri, Sep 07 2018, 4:56 am
imasoftov wrote:
yes, mix until everything is combined

Thank you!

glamourmom

Post Fri, Sep 28 2018, 8:31 am
lkwdlady wrote:
I have a recipe for chocolate brownies. It’s only 5 ingredients. No mixer, no bowls... just pour everything in a 9x13 and mix with a fork. They are so good.. I’ve tried adding things like vanilla, baking powder but they taste great with just these 5 ingredients. Sometimes I make 1/2 the recipe and use an 8x8 pan. Let me know if you’re interested.

yes, please share, lkwdlady

lkwdlady

Post Fri, Sep 28 2018, 9:35 am
glamourmom wrote:
yes, please share, lkwdlady

First of all, thank you for bumping this up! I was searching for a recipe from this thread yesterday I couldn’t find the thread at all!

Here is the in pan brownie recipe:

2 cups sugar
1 cup flour
1 cup oil
4 eggs
6 tablespoons cocoa

Mix all ingredients with a fork in a 9x13 pan

Bake for 45 minutes at 350

flowerpower

Post Fri, Sep 28 2018, 10:55 am
1 cup oil
14 oz granulated sugar
10 oz chocolate chips
3 eggs
3 cups flour
3/4 tsp bp
1/2 tspn baking soda
1 1/2 tsp vs

Bake on cookie sheet for 20 minutes on 350 and cut into squares

ludicrous

Post Mon, Oct 01 2018, 2:09 pm
flowerpower wrote:
1 cup oil
14 oz granulated sugar
10 oz chocolate chips
3 eggs
3 cups flour
3/4 tsp bp
1/2 tspn baking soda
1 1/2 tsp vs

what is vs?

Teomima

Post Mon, Oct 01 2018, 4:44 pm
ludicrous wrote:
what is vs?

Maybe vanilla sugar? I see no vanilla extract in the recipe, so that'd be my guess.

Eta: then again, there's also no salt. I'm so confused by this, lately I've seen a bunch of baking recipes that don't call for any salt. Do people really not use it in their cakes/cookies/etc? I mean, I know you don't want sweet things to taste salty but the right amount of salt really brings out the other flavors. Without it, baked goods tend to taste too sweet.

livinginflatbus

Post Tue, Oct 02 2018, 6:29 pm
The liquor cake posted here is so amazing !

oneofakind

Post Tue, Oct 02 2018, 6:55 pm
Are these bundt cakes heavier than regular ones?

gold21

Post Tue, Oct 02 2018, 7:43 pm
Melt chocolate chips and peanut butter over low flame, stirring constantly.

Add rice crispies

Mix all together

Pour evenly into pan

Refrigerate

The end.

That's my quickest dessert recipe.

etky

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 1:09 am
allrgymama wrote:
This uses margarine and oil (what's with all the margarine hate?) and is from a really old Chassidish cookbook that my mother has for the last 20-some-odd years.

Crumb Cake

Ingredients

• 4 cups flour
• 2 cups sugar
• 1 ½ sticks margarine
• 1 TBSP vanilla sugar or extract
• ½ cup oil

• 4 eggs
• 1 cup orange juice
• 1 pinch cinnamon
• 4 tsp baking powder mixed with 3 tsp flour

Directions

• Pre-heat oven to 350
• Cream first five ingredients. Reserve 1 cup of this mixture for the crumb topping. Add remaining ingredients and pour into bundt pan, tube pan or a 9x13 aluminum tin. Sprinkle with crumb mixture and bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.

(I'm not sure why the first five ingredients are in that order. Everyone knows you cream sugar and margarine together first and then add everything else.... *shrug*)
[b]

Actually, this is a legitimate method called "reverse creaming" whereby you 'coat' the flour with fat before exposing it to the liquid. The traditional creaming method calls for adding the flour after the liquid and then you have to be careful not to create too much gluten by overmixing the batter. Reverse creaming inhibits gluten formation by creating a barrier between the flour and the liquid. This produces a cake with a more tender crumb. I make an almost identical cake to this that I got off a different thread here (the main difference is that it calls for parve creamer or milk instead of juice) and indeed the texture is very fine and soft.

etky

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 1:14 am
Teomima wrote:
Maybe vanilla sugar? I see no vanilla extract in the recipe, so that'd be my guess.

Eta: then again, there's also no salt. I'm so confused by this, lately I've seen a bunch of baking recipes that don't call for any salt. Do people really not use it in their cakes/cookies/etc? I mean, I know you don't want sweet things to taste salty but the right amount of salt really brings out the other flavors. Without it, baked goods tend to taste too sweet.

I also never omit the salt in baking (if the recipe calls for it). It balances the sweetness and also adds depth, especially in chocolate cakes.

dancingqueen

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 5:59 am
chocolate chips wrote:
either that or 4-3-2-1 marble cake : 4 eggs, 3cup sr flour, 2cup sugar, 1cup juice, 1 cup oil and then mix in some cocoa (2 tsp) to last bit of mixture. dead simple takes 30 mins including baking!

I don’t think this poster is here anymore but I tried this recipe for yt and the middle came out with a very “wet” texture. Any ideas what went wrong? What’s sr flour?

lkwdlady

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 6:17 am
dancingqueen wrote:
I don’t think this poster is here anymore but I tried this recipe for yt and the middle came out with a very “wet” texture. Any ideas what went wrong? What’s sr flour?

Sounds like it needed to bake longer.
Everyones oven is different

etky

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 6:30 am
dancingqueen wrote:

I would venture that it is self-rising flour and that is why your cake flopped. It had no leavening.

etky

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 6:33 am
lkwdlady wrote:
Sounds like it needed to bake longer.
Everyones oven is different

This too.
I make a nearly identical recipe all the time (using regular flour + baking powder) and it needs to bake at least 50 min.

dinatov

Post Wed, Oct 03 2018, 7:39 am
etky wrote:
I also never omit the salt in baking (if the recipe calls for it). It balances the sweetness and also adds depth, especially in chocolate cakes.

A caterer once told me that e/t with salt gets a little sugar and e/t with sugar gets a little salt. They just enhance each other.

dancingqueen

Post Fri, Oct 05 2018, 2:27 pm
etky wrote:
I would venture that it is self-rising flour and that is why your cake flopped. It had no leavening.

Ohhh. Yup that would do it lol. Thanks!

dancingqueen

Post Sat, Oct 06 2018, 6:28 pm
flowerpower wrote:
1 cup oil
14 oz granulated sugar
10 oz chocolate chips
3 eggs
3 cups flour
3/4 tsp bp
1/2 tspn baking soda
1 1/2 tsp vs

Thanks for this recipe! We liked it.
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins