Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Summer ideas for 13 yr. old dd?

amother

Post Sat, May 28 2011, 3:44 pm
My 13 yr. old daughter is not particularly talented or communicative. She doesn't really have friends (and doesn't mind it) and needs tutoring help for school.
Her strong points are - she's good at cooking and loves babies & little kids.

Here in Israel the standard bais yaakov "camp" for this age is a few days scattered here & there during the summer. She doesn't want to be bored, would wish to make money or at least to do something fun. We're tight on money right now ourselves, so we couldn't afford to send her to an expensive camp. Even if we would, she probably would enjoy the ruach, but would be a loner anyway.

Can anyone give me suggestions to positively occupy her this summer?

TIA

grace413

Post Sat, May 28 2011, 4:01 pm
Maybe she could volunteer to help out a home based camp run by somebody for younger kids? My DD did this last summer and it was great for her.

She could also advertise to be a mother's helper - spend some time with the kids to give the mom a break.

SingALong

Post Thu, Jun 09 2011, 11:25 pm
ditto on the mothers helper, does she enjoy babysitting?

or maybe you would let her do an activity at home where kids can come bake with her for an hour after school/camp, for a small charge?

RachelEve14

Post Fri, Jun 10 2011, 2:28 am
Yes, or kaytanot imahot. Tell her to put up signs around the neighborhood that she will help the mother for a low fee (last year young girls here were taking 20 - 40 NIS for the morning). If you are local to me, PM me, I have FOUR DAYS to do with kitah aleph / bet girls.

amother

Post Sat, Jun 11 2011, 3:05 pm
Thanks for your ideas. I do have to be selective for her babysitting jobs - I couldn't have her babysit 6 tough kids or a really small baby, so I guess I just have to ask around and hope to find someone.

RachelEve - Your kaytanat imahot is in Maale Adumim? That could be a little far, though Jerusalem itself could work. And honestly, wouldn't you as an organizer prefer someone a little older & more responsible?

c.c.cookie

Post Sat, Jun 11 2011, 3:15 pm
Are you in Yerushalayim? I'm due in August, and would love a mother's helper for my kids - aged 2 and 3.5. They're adorable, and not at all difficult! PM me if you're interested.

amother

Post Sun, Jun 12 2011, 4:30 pm
I PM'ed cookie and we're talking about a few afternoons a week. I'm open to more ideas if there are any!

RachelEve14

Post Mon, Jun 13 2011, 1:06 am
amother wrote:
Thanks for your ideas. I do have to be selective for her babysitting jobs - I couldn't have her babysit 6 tough kids or a really small baby, so I guess I just have to ask around and hope to find someone.

RachelEve - Your kaytanat imahot is in Maale Adumim? That could be a little far, though Jerusalem itself could work. And honestly, wouldn't you as an organizer prefer someone a little older & more responsible?

Yes, it's not practical for her to come out here, but maybe if she puts up signs locally.

I don't think you need someone older, just someone good with kids. My friend's 10 year old dss' helped out a lot of people last year by playing with the kids. The mother is home and in charge, but a helper is good to keep the kids more involved in games, lead davaning, help with projects, etc.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)