Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Teaching 9 yr old son to ride a bike in Lakewood

amother

Post Mon, May 30 2011, 7:49 pm
Anybody know of a/o who can teach my 9 yr old son to ride a two wheeler (for pay, of course)? I tried to teach him a few years ago and he got so frustrated that he wasn't interested until now. I think it would be best for s/o else to teach him but it's got to be s/o with references and experience doing this. I'm sure he'll catch on really quickly as he's really athletic. We live in Lakewood. TIA.

amother

Post Tue, May 31 2011, 12:01 am
OP here. I guess I should've mentioned that I actually had seen an ad about a year ago in one of the community's weekly mailings about such a service.

If you've never heard of something like this but you have good suggestions about how I can help or teach my son how to ride a two-wheeler, I'd greatly appreciate your reply. Thanks.

anonymrs

Post Tue, May 31 2011, 2:20 am
Send him over to my mom's house, my little brother's will teach him!

amother
Peach

Post Mon, Jul 23 2018, 7:26 pm
Did you find someone? I am looking for the same!

SingALong

Post Mon, Jul 23 2018, 7:48 pm
Avi dror in lakewood teaches bike riding in 1-2 lessons. 718-3099403. He taught my son to ride and we left with him really riding well but he refused to practice, just didn’t enjoy it, so we lost his skills. Avi said as soonas he’s interested he’ll pick up where he left off. He taught my daughter who was also stubborn about not riding and now she’s zooming up and down the block

amother
Peach

Post Mon, Jul 23 2018, 8:49 pm
Thank you soooooo much. Was it an older child? Like above 6? Do you know approx how long it took, and how much he charged?

amother
Green

Post Mon, Jul 23 2018, 8:53 pm
Avi Devor also taught mine. 2 or 3 times is all it took. I highly recommend him.

amother
Puce

Post Mon, Jul 23 2018, 9:24 pm
I'm curious, because this is new to me.

Do your kids not want to ride bikes? I taught myself, and so have all of my children. The story about the child with no motivation to practice is very surprising to me. Is bike-riding such a necessary life skill that we must teach it to kids even if they don't want to know how? And if they do want to know how, is it that difficult that we must hire a professional to teach?

Or am I missing something?

SingALong

Post Mon, Jul 23 2018, 9:38 pm
My son (5 1/2) is not coordinated, more of the academic, bookish type. But all the boys in the neighborhood spend time after school riding bikes together, so he’s left out of that. He doesn’t love sports/movement type things is much happier with a workbook and a story tape. But I wanted him to ride a bike so he can join the kids his age. He demonstrated that he knows how, this bike teacher was able to get him that far, but he just didn’t enjoy it and refused to bike. So I’ll wait till next year hopefully he’ll be more interested then. My daughter that he taught us 7.

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Jul 23 2018, 9:56 pm
I've been pushing my (roughly the same age) dd. She's learned and lost the skill twice already. She's extremely apprehensive and puts up a huge fight. It's a skill that I'd really like her to have. I think it's impt for balance, exercise, independence. I also think it is impt for her to know that something can be difficult aND she can overcome her fears. Unfortunately dh does not agree and I simply can't fight with her alone. I'd love suggestions or to outsource to someone experiences.

amother
Puce

Post Mon, Jul 23 2018, 10:00 pm
Thank you, I've learned something new!

mfb

Post Mon, Jul 23 2018, 10:07 pm
amother wrote:
I've been pushing my (roughly the same age) dd. She's learned and lost the skill twice already. She's extremely apprehensive and puts up a huge fight. It's a skill that I'd really like her to have. I think it's impt for balance, exercise, independence. I also think it is impt for her to know that something can be difficult aND she can overcome her fears. Unfortunately dh does not agree and I simply can't fight with her alone. I'd love suggestions or to outsource to someone experiences.

To learn balance have her use the bike like a scooter. Don’t use the pedals. Just push with the feet and then lift them up and see how far you can go before losing balance. Once they can balance well then start with the pedals

Good luck

amother
White

Post Mon, Jul 23 2018, 11:05 pm
No kids yet but back in the day I taught my younger brothers. Work on flat ground. Just hold onto the back of the seat while they ride slowly and walk with them. Eventually let go a little bit but catch on quickly so they trust you'll be there. Eventually they go fast enough and they ride by themselves and then they put their foot down as soon as it gets wobbly. Stay with them a few times while they do this, holding onto the seat until they get the hang of it and build up the confidence to know they can catch themselves.

Then you just have to tell them about using the brakes.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children