Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Help!!!How do you make GOOD rice?
1  2  3  Next

RedVines

Post Thu, Mar 17 2005, 12:31 am
I just cant seem to ever get it right....My mother in law makes such great rice and I try and try, Cmon I know some of you must have a great way to do it?

hisorerus

Post Thu, Mar 17 2005, 12:43 am
What makes her rice "good"?

When I follow the instructions on the box precisely, my rice comes out nice and soft and fluffy. When I don't (most of the time) it doesn't.

Adding some oil and salt to the water gives the rice a nice flavor.

Are you talking about a rice recipe, not just basic rice?

Rivk

Post Thu, Mar 17 2005, 6:17 am
Don't uncover the pot while cooking - this makes the rice gummy.

AweSumThenSum

Post Thu, Mar 17 2005, 7:51 am
I use "uncle ben's" rice in the orange box, and I follow the instructions. it works like a charm.

Tefila

Post Thu, Mar 17 2005, 8:42 am
Quote:
When I follow the instructions on the box precisely, my rice comes out nice and soft and fluffy.
Adding some oil and salt to the water gives the rice a nice flavor

Thats what I do Exclamation

micki

Post Thu, Mar 17 2005, 9:14 am
don't add salt to the uncooked rice, but you could add 1 teaspoon white vinegar to fluff it.

shoy18

Post Thu, Mar 17 2005, 9:17 am
my mother seems to have the same problem as you no matter what she does it never comes out right. She finds that if she adds mushroom soup mix to the pot before the rice it somes out normal but thats the only way she can make rice, its a problem if you dont like mushroom soup mix. Thats the only way we ever had rice in our house LOL

Last edited by shoy18 on Thu, Mar 17 2005, 9:19 am; edited 1 time in total

miriam

Post Thu, Mar 17 2005, 9:17 am
I tried to imitate Near East Rice Pilaf the other day. While the rice was cooking I added garlic, parsley, soy sauce, salt, tumeric, pepper, and paprika. Because I took the cover off while it was cooking, I had to cook it for longer and add more H2O. It was so tasty and colorful.

gryp

Post Thu, Mar 17 2005, 9:43 am
funny, I never cover the rice while its cooking. it did take me a while to figure out how to make a good pot of rice but I dont do any fluffing or spices and it comes out fine.

RedVines

Post Thu, Mar 17 2005, 11:02 am
my mother in law always adds chicken boullion MSG big time, which I dont mind using some of the time but why on earth cant I make a stinking batch of rice....the only time it comes out good is if I use the minute rice, :oops:

thebestmommy

Post Thu, Mar 17 2005, 11:37 am
This is what I do sometimes when I cook brown rice:

I saute canned mushooms, diced green pepper (you can also put in yellow and red pepper to add color) in a little bit of oil. When they are browned, add the cooked rice, with a drop of soy sauce and spices (onion powder, garlic powder, pepper and salt). Mix it all up. it is delicious.

mushmom

Post Thu, Mar 17 2005, 11:45 am
buy a rice cooker!! cheap -20 bucks- and perfect rice every time-u can buy it anywhere

Rochel Leah

Post Thu, Mar 17 2005, 12:06 pm
the bestmommy, I do something similar. I fry onions, carrots, green and red peppers- cut into small pieces then I add raw rice with 2 cups water per one cup rice and let cook till water gets boiled out.if I see that there isn't enough water as it is cooking I add more..I just add a little salt and it is delicious

ForeverYoung

Post Thu, Mar 17 2005, 12:38 pm
add water 3 to 1
(not 2 to 1, as reccomended) and cover pot after the water boils

Also, add more oil

micki

Post Thu, Mar 17 2005, 1:13 pm
ok- you need to explain- does the rice you make come out sticky, undercooked and not right? or do you need recepies for making bland rice taste good?
I have lots of recepies but don't want to waste my time if thats not what you want...
let me know and I'll be happy to share if you DO want!!

Tefila

Post Thu, Mar 17 2005, 1:19 pm
Spanish rice, rice pilaf or stir fry is not what is being asked here ladies! Mommyoftwo wants to know how to make good ol plain rice 8)

P.S. I also don't cook it totaly! Tell you why some stuff still cooks after youv'e turned off flame e.g. fresh fish, macaroni and rice etc So I undercook it very slightly, turn off flame let sit for a couple secs then put in colander and rinse w/h water.

ForeverYoung

Post Thu, Mar 17 2005, 1:27 pm
ou rince RICE???? shock

1stimer

Post Thu, Mar 17 2005, 4:22 pm
I put 2 cups of water to one of rice, add spices and cook for 15 min. then cover and let stand for 15 min. comes out good.

but I want recipes to combat the blandness. thx

Tefila

Post Thu, Mar 17 2005, 4:23 pm
Quote:
ou rince RICE????

Yep plain rice and plain pasta too!!! Tongue Out Tongue Out Delicious, seperates and gets rid of added starch oh whatever Wink

Tefila

Post Thu, Mar 17 2005, 4:38 pm
Quote:
but I want recipes to combat the blandness. thx

1st timer Spanish rice or rice w/h chicken is delicous coz u use the sauce that u put on chicken for the rice. Rice pilaf is also good, fry vegtables b/4 hand for great taste!!!
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes