Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Help!!!How do you make GOOD rice?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Sunshine

Post Thu, Mar 17 2005, 3:50 pm
Freilich doesn't rinsing the food make it cold?

Tefila

Post Thu, Mar 17 2005, 3:51 pm
Hello everyone w/h hot boiled water from my kettle

Rivk

Post Thu, Mar 17 2005, 6:08 pm
If you rinse white rice all the added vitamins and minerals go right down the drain!

RedVines

Post Thu, Mar 17 2005, 9:23 pm
I need to know how to make my plain yucky rice tatse yummy... my kids love rice which is why I probably should make brown rice....recipies for rice would be great too. I am taking all these tips VERY seriously!!

Tefila

Post Fri, Mar 18 2005, 5:35 am
Quote:
rinse white rice all the added vitamins and minerals go right down the drain!

Isn't white rice junk anyway, think brown rice is the good one for us Confused

Rivk

Post Fri, Mar 18 2005, 9:19 am
You're right - there's no problem with rinsing brown rice.

lucy

Post Fri, Mar 18 2005, 11:51 am
I always rince my rice before cooking.
Usually saute some onion with a little oil, then add rice for 1-2 min.
Then 2 Cup water/1 Cup rice (for brown I find you need a little more than one cup). Cook on very high once the water is boiling for 5-10 min. I put it on very low and then another 5 min. I turn off the flame and keep it covered for 15-20 min.
Always comes out good.

Last edited by lucy on Fri, Mar 18 2005, 11:55 am; edited 1 time in total

lucy

Post Fri, Mar 18 2005, 11:54 am
mommyoftwo: My kids also love rice so what I do alot is I cook it together with my chicken in the same pan, that way all the juices of the chicken give the rice great flavor and it has the nourishment from the chicken!

Also It's great to add tomatoe sauce, granulated garlic, oregano or basil.

1stimer

Post Sun, Mar 20 2005, 1:35 pm
what's the recipe for spanish rice?

IM-MA

Post Sun, Mar 20 2005, 7:11 pm
Bring the rice to a boil, then cover the pot, and turn off the flame--works for pasta and boiled eggs too. Rice can also be baked-add an extra cup of water and margarine.

Tila

Post Wed, May 18 2005, 8:47 am
Orange uncle bens....it is 2cups of water to one dry measure(not glass measuring cup) of rice. Boil H2O as soon as H2O boils dump in rice IMEDIATELY put lid on and reduce heat to extreamly low. Set a timer for 20 mins. and DO NOT peek until the timer goes off. Est Voila...superb rice!!

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sun, May 22 2005, 7:50 pm
I use a rice cooker (as someone else suggested) and it's great!!
Sometimes I add a drop of oil, crushed walnuts and craisins for an interesting yummy dish!

TzenaRena

Post Thu, Jun 23 2005, 12:23 pm
lucy wrote:
I always rinse my rice before cooking.

So do I. I also check the rice. The first time I came across this concept was in my early years of marriage when I visited my sil's family in Jerusalem, and saw her mother checking the rice, and I began to do it too. Since then I've learned that this is the norm from my Israeli Tishrei guests too. It seems that it's customary -mandatory? in Eretz Y. to check the rice. What I wonder is why I never heard about it till then. Is American rice very different, maybe cleaner? Or was I just ignorant? I look for discolorations, and black spots, and hope I know what I'm looking for Confused Anyway, it takes an awful long time to get through an entire package,(enough to feed the whole family), so I don't make it that often anymore. Is there a way to speed it up? I go grain by grain.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Thu, Jun 23 2005, 6:44 pm
it's not a bad idea to check through rice in the US, too.
I don't think you have to sift it, though.
I was making a cholent the other week with rice, for a change, but I found several crawling bugs....so out it went and I had to stick with the barley and beans instead.
so especially an open bad (even if in a ziploc!) should be checked through somwhat

RedVines

Post Thu, Jun 23 2005, 10:06 pm
Last week I wanted to sprinkle some sesame sees onto my challah and there was dead bugs in there!! How in the world could that happen in a totally sealed container, hmmmm.

I know off topic of rice.

hisorerus

Post Fri, Jun 24 2005, 7:46 am
It says on many packages of rice not to rinse because it rinses off all of the vitamins (which are removed in processing and added as an afterthought).

STRONGMOM

Post Mon, Sep 19 2005, 8:03 am
I have a rice cooker and its just amazing. the rice comes out stunning Very Happy . You also have to be careful not to put too much water and not to let it cook for too long. even with a rice cooker.

Tovah

Post Mon, Sep 19 2005, 8:07 am
I use a steamer.

lucky

Post Mon, Sep 19 2005, 8:18 am
Checking is important in the US too. I've found many things in rice over the years.

TzenaRena

Post Mon, Sep 19 2005, 8:39 am
lucky, what's your method for checking rice?
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes