Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Baby's testicles are dark??

amother

Post Thu, Jun 02 2011, 4:16 pm
They're brown. Why would this be? We're otherwise a pretty fair-skinned family (we have some blondies and many blue-eyes) and none of my other boys (or my dh for that matter) have this.

I just had him at the (frum) pediatrician today and when he looked in the diaper he said "Which side has sephardi blood?" The answer is neither side!! We're straightforward eastern European from both sides, for generations!

I'm about to sound really wacky, but I wonder if it's possible that this baby is not mine. Even in the hospital, (not immediately after birth, but later) I thought that he really didn't look like any of my other babies at all, and I still think that a couple of weeks later. When I look at pictures of the baby in delivery as opposed to in maternity, I think that they could easily be different babies.

I know that I sound like I'm crazy, but do you think it's possible that I have the wrong baby? What can/should I do to be sure?

Isramom8

Post Thu, Jun 02 2011, 4:40 pm
If he is Sefardi, wouldn't all his skin be dark, not just the testicles? I'd worry more about the testicles, although maybe dark ones are normal, I have no idea.

But if your gut feeling has you worried, you might want to look into DNA testing. It might be a question for a rav - not sure.

Seraph

Post Thu, Jun 02 2011, 4:44 pm
In Israel, babies have a tag on their wrist that identifies them so they don't get mixed up, and the tag doesnt come off till you're home. (Actually 2 tags, one on their ankle and one on their wrist, I think.)
Does nothing like that happen where you are?

Isramom8

Post Thu, Jun 02 2011, 4:52 pm
Seraph wrote:
In Israel, babies have a tag on their wrist that identifies them so they don't get mixed up, and the tag doesnt come off till you're home. (Actually 2 tags, one on their ankle and one on their wrist, I think.)

Once in the hospital we were 3 English speaking moms with the same last name, so they tagged us and our babies with extra tags - and still once brought me the wrong baby in the middle of the night. The nurses told us to be careful.

(Yes, I'm sure my teen is mine - he and two of his younger brothers look just like me and one another.)

fruitsalad

Post Thu, Jun 02 2011, 4:53 pm
embarrassed didnt ur baby have identity bracelets? where are u from?

amother

Post Thu, Jun 02 2011, 4:55 pm
Seraph wrote:

You dont know what goes on in the nursery, unless you keep baby with you at all times.

amother

Post Thu, Jun 02 2011, 5:43 pm
Seriously if u are worried id do a dna test ASAP. that way u can either be relived or start really freaking out but at least ud know for sure.

amother

Post Thu, Jun 02 2011, 6:00 pm
Honestly, I think your doctor is an idiot. number 1, I would get a new doc and find out if it could be something medical, like extra blood there or something.

2) Both Dh and I are AShkenaz Jews from all the way back - Him, Germany and Poland, Me, Germany, Poland and Russia. Both of our children have a rare genetic blood "disorder" - B"H not a problem, but it does limit who they can marry, because of potential problems with their children, and it only shows itself in Chinese, African and randomly, the Netherlands....None of which applies to us. Sometimes there is a genetic anomaly. Just like the family that has a random kid with BRIGHT RED hair, and no one for many generations has red hair. There could have been a person with darker skin in your family way back. For example, my father while having light eyes has dark skin, but is Russian and Polish. It's random, and/or it could be from a family member way back.

If you want, go for DNA testing, though realize that's opening a HUGE can of worms. And, more likely, the kid just looks different than the rest.

And, my sil who has 8 children? They all look different, from the skinny blond hair, blue eyes, to the chunky dark brown hair, dark brown eyes, to the auburn hair with green eyes. And everything in between.

Good luck and see a new doctor.

amother

Post Thu, Jun 02 2011, 6:01 pm
Oh, and btw, last amother here,

My father has dark skin and my mother has darker skin (she's 100% german) and both my brother and I are PALE. Like ghostly. You never know.

Isramom8

Post Thu, Jun 02 2011, 6:14 pm
True, none of us really know if an ancestor from way back (or more recently) converted, was raped, had an affair, or whatever.

I'm trying to understand what a DNA test could complicate. Maybe if it shows that the mother is likely the mother but the father is not likely the father, OP's dh could doubt her fidelity?

Anyway, I'd wonder if the different coloring on one body part can suggest infection or is just a normal variation.

amother

Post Thu, Jun 02 2011, 6:44 pm
op here-

I'm glad that no one thinks I'm insane, but I don't know why someone thinks my Dr. is an idiot. I googled it and found that the most common reason for it would b a mixed-race baby, so my doc was perfectly logical. (BTW, he is also a very well-known, highly respected doctor, and one of the best diagnosticians around, so there is no way I am switching from him.)

I'm in the US where of course they tag all of the babies, but as someone else said, you never know what goes on when your baby isn't with you, plus his id tag fell off a couple of times (his security tag also fell off once) so you really never know.

Not that I really want to do DNA testing, but I also don't understand what "can of worms" it might open. I certainly don't have a question about my fidelity. What else could happen? I just don't know how to even go about getting the testing done.

eschaya

Post Fri, Jun 03 2011, 3:40 am
My second son had very very dark testicles after birth. It seems that some extra blood was squeezed there during birth and the color gradually normalized after a few months. Take your son to a more knowledgeable doctor though. It is most likely innocuous (like my son) but there are a few possibilities and it should be checked out. Please don't start worrying about mixed up babies. It is highly unlikely.

Ruchel

Post Sat, Jun 04 2011, 7:08 pm
For info some sefardi are blond and some ashkenazi very dark...

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Jun 05 2011, 2:13 am
If it doesnt go away you can see a pediatric urologist.

amother
Black

Post Thu, Jun 07 2018, 8:53 pm
Amother, did you end up getting the dna test?

hello321

Post Thu, Jun 07 2018, 11:29 pm
Im pretty sure its normal. My son had it and I was alarmed and I asked the pediatrician and he said it was fine and they got lighter over time.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Jun 07 2018, 11:46 pm
I'm pretty sure that 7 years later her son is fine... she doesn't need to know now that it's normal!!

amother
Peach

Post Thu, Jun 07 2018, 11:59 pm
Lol! I was wondering why they didn’t tag his belly button. I guess they didn’t use that technology back then 😂

Ruchel

Post Fri, Jun 08 2018, 3:53 am
Tag a belly?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics