Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Daughter going into first grade and behind

simcha007

Post Sun, Jun 05 2011, 6:16 am
my daughter is going into 1st grade next year.I'm getting nervouse that she's behind in knowing her alef bet , numbers...
does any one know of a good website . that she can p;ay games on and learn at the same time. she loves playing games on the comp and I figure that would be a good way to sneak in the learning.

suggestions of work books or any thing else that worked for you are very welcome

thanks

Isramom8

Post Sun, Jun 05 2011, 7:33 am
TES Aleph Bet Trainer CD helped my son enter first grade. He used it to teach himself all the letters in the summer. It's engaging without distractions. It focuses on skills - does not "sneak in" the learning. But I found it exciting enough to keep my son's attention. Till then he just wasn't getting it.

Some YouTube clips:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWN8W690lZg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v.....lated
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v.....lated

lizard8

Post Sun, Jun 05 2011, 7:55 am
Would you want to hire a tutor? Where do you live?

amother

Post Mon, Jun 06 2011, 9:22 am
I have the exact same problem. After discussing it with the teacher we've decided to leave her back especially since she's the youngest in her class right now. Next year she'll be the oldest. She had some hearing issues that probably contributed to her problems so even though it's all good now, she's not very focused on learning. I figure we can always push her up later instead of her struggling the whole time and feeling bad about herself.

An excellent website though which taught my other kids to read at a very young age is Starfall.com for English. The kids love it, it's not a boring website at all. The Electric Company is also something that teaches them alot while having fun but it's probably for kids a little bit older.

Barbara

Post Mon, Jun 06 2011, 9:38 am
Are you *nervous* that she's behind, or is she behind?

If she is behind, talk to her kindergarten teacher, and the school administration, about whether they think it is a problem and, if so, if there is anything they recommend. Reading -- putting together the alphabet (aleph bet) sounds into words -- has a developmental component. Some kids are just ready a little later. It doesn't mean they're not smart.

The most important thing that you can do is to read to her. Ask her to bring you particular items from the pantry, or get something from the shelf in the supermarket. Play word games

In English, I'd recommend the BOB books, or (if you're serious about this) Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons. There are probably Hebrew equivalents.

For numbers, I think I remember a game called Hop to 100. Also use math in practical ways. Bring me 3 cans of tomato sauce. I need 2 more, how many is that. You may have 10 jellybeans, let's count them out. You ate 3? How many do you have now?

Again, for English and math, try a store like Lakeshore Learning (in the US), which will have all kinds of fun things. I've never seen Hebrew there. I'm sure every country has similar stores.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers