Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Sweet lukshin (noodle) kugel
Previous  1  2

mother48

Post Thu, Oct 05 2006, 10:11 am
Easiest kugel ever!! no boiling pasta first.

in a pot boil:
4 1/2 c water
1 cup sugar
2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1/2-1stick margarine

bring to a boil. turn off flame. add in 1 pk XTRA FINE LUKSHIN. let sit one min, pour into pan, bake covered 45min, uncover last 10.

the rest of the recipe I skip-after put in lukshin add 2 eggs, brown sugar an oil. I find a waste and my eggs would then cook in the hot water

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Oct 05 2006, 10:47 am
I never had luck with not boilingthe noodles first, is it b/c yours are thin?

DefyGravity

Post Thu, Oct 05 2006, 10:47 am
Same here.

IBR

Post Thu, Oct 05 2006, 12:43 pm
I M GONNA try to easy recepie sounds interesting

amother

Post Thu, Feb 01 2007, 3:08 pm
Anybody have an EASY and GOOD sweet noodle kugel (I like it with pineapple pieces but without is also fine). Thanks! Very Happy

mumof1

Post Thu, Feb 01 2007, 3:13 pm
I just make a regular recipe but add a box of instant vanilla pudding. its out of this world.

amother

Post Thu, Feb 01 2007, 3:27 pm
mumof1 wrote:
I just make a regular recipe but add a box of instant vanilla pudding. its out of this world.

What's a "regular recipe"? I am looking for exact ingredients/directions. Thanks!

cindy324

Post Thu, Feb 01 2007, 3:51 pm
half pack med. noodles
half pack thin noodles
1 cup sugar
2 vanilla sugar
3/4 stick margarine melted
3 eggs
1 can pineapple pieces or rings broken in halves( save a few pieces to place on top of kugel for decoration, can also add maraschino cherries on top)

Cook noodles

Mix together all other ingredients in a bowl, including juice of pineapples. When noodles are cooked, add to bowl, mix well, pour into 9x13, or smaller if you like a thicker kugel (I use the rectangular kugel pans) bake on 350 about an hour or until golden on top.

cindy324

Post Thu, Feb 01 2007, 3:52 pm
Oh, also, if you like a more intense vanilla flavor, you can add some vanilla extract to the mixture, too!

amother

Post Thu, Feb 01 2007, 3:52 pm
Anybody? Sad I need to make it tonight

amother

Post Thu, Feb 01 2007, 3:55 pm
Thank you, Cindy. I posted before I saw your reply.

Couple questions:
- when you say package of noodles, how big? 12oz or 16 oz etc?
- I don't have vanilla sugar. Can I skip that part or just add more regular sugar?

Thanks!!

cindy324

Post Thu, Feb 01 2007, 4:11 pm
I think the noodles I buy are 12 oz. I don't know where you live , but most of the kosher brands come in the same size package.

Like I said you can use all vanilla extract if you have it, I would add like 2-3 tsp, it's pretty strong. If not, you can also substitue almond extract, I've done that in a bind and it came out very good. You can always add more sugar, too. I actually made it last week, and I found that I should have added more sugar , it wasn't as sweet as I would've liked.

amother

Post Fri, Feb 02 2007, 9:42 am
Cindy,

I made this kugel last night and it came out yum (l"kavod shabbos kodesh)! The only thing is, the noodles got dried out on top and are crunchy (and hard to eat). Do you keep it covered for some time? How do you prevent it from drying out on top? Thanks! Help

shopaholic

Post Fri, Feb 02 2007, 9:53 am
The Balabusta cookbook has a Beginners Lokshen Kugel that is easy & delicious.

cindy324

Post Fri, Feb 02 2007, 12:38 pm
That's OK. When you reheat it just keep it covered with foil. It's only on top, I wouldn't worry about it, a lot of people like that crunch on top, but reheating it covered, and keeping it covered until you serve it should help some.

cindy324

Post Fri, Feb 02 2007, 12:40 pm
Also, one variation you might like to try next time, is sprinkle some cornflake crumbs and brown sugar on top. Bake it covered for about 45 minutes, then uncover for the topping to get a bit crusty for about 15 minutes or until done.

greenfire

Post Fri, Feb 02 2007, 12:55 pm
I never use butter or margarine in anything I make and I add enough oil without making it feel oozed in oil. I put raisins & cinnamon in mine and cover the top so that it doesn't get unbearably crunchy.

slushiemom

Post Sun, Sep 23 2018, 4:50 am
Chen, don't know if you're still around, but thanks for this recipe!! Just made it for Sukkot, it was super easy and smells amazing.

Chag sameach!!

chen wrote:
Let's hear it for sweet lokshen kugel, yessss!
I'm not at home and am quoting from memory, so YMMV.

12 0z. egg noodles
3 eggs
1/3 c. oil
1/4 c - 1/2 c. sugar depending on your taste
6-8 shakes of a cinnamon jar (really, that's how I do it.) maybe a teaspoon.
1 tsp. vanilla (I don't use vanilla any more, it's gotten so expensive, and I refuse to put artificial stuff in homemade food. But if your budget allows the real thing, go for it.)
1/2 c. raisins

cook the lokshen per package directions. drain. mix in the rest of the ingredients. add the eggs last so the lokshen have time to cool a bit, else if you put eggs into boiling hot lokshen you'll get scrambled egg!
If it's too wet for your taste, throw in a tablespoon or three of bread crumbs, matzoh mehl, or parve cornflake crumbs.

bake in a greased baking dish, about 9-inch round or equivalent, 350 degrees F. until golden brown on top.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes