Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
How long can eggs last for in the fridge?

gryp

Post Thu, Oct 05 2006, 10:54 am
We're going away for about 2 weeks. Should I leave my (15) eggs in the fridge and hope they'll be okay when I get back, or should I give them to a neighbor to use?

mummy-bh

Post Thu, Oct 05 2006, 11:02 am
Should be ok depending on how old they are to start with.

I bought a case of eggs for Pesach (30 dozen) and had a few doz left over afterwards. They lasted all the way till lag beomer! That was 3 weeks out of the fridge and 3 weeks in the fridge.
I must admit, towards the end I didnt use them to boil; I wanted to open them and sniff them before I used them!

mali

Post Thu, Oct 05 2006, 11:17 am
I think two months. In Israel, they have expiration dates on eggs. One for eggs left out of the fridge, about a month, and an additional month for refrigerated ones.

When I have a lot of eggs that are about to expire, I bake few cakes and freeze them.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Oct 05 2006, 11:36 am
GR, why not make hard boiled eggs sandwiches for the trip?

ny21

Post Thu, Oct 05 2006, 11:44 am
you should never keep eggs on your refrigerator door.

chen

Post Thu, Oct 05 2006, 1:36 pm
the expiration date is a "sell by" date, not a "use by" date. it is assumed that the eggs will be stored in your fridge for some time after purchase. ditto for cheese, yogurt and so on. If the mfr. intends a "use by" date, it will say so on the package.

mali

Post Thu, Oct 05 2006, 1:38 pm
chen wrote:
the expiration date is a "sell by" date, not a "use by" date. it is assumed that the eggs will be stored in your fridge for some time after purchase. ditto for cheese, yogurt and so on. If the mfr. intends a "use by" date, it will say so on the package.
Not in Israel!

chen

Post Thu, Oct 05 2006, 1:40 pm
no need to sniff your eggs. just place them in a bowl or tall glass of water. if they sink, they are quite fresh. If they stand up, they are not babies any more but are perfectly ok to use and in fact easier to peel when hardboiled than very fresh ones. if they float, they are goners. dump 'em.

chen

Post Thu, Oct 05 2006, 1:43 pm
momoftwins wrote:
you should never keep eggs on your refrigerator door.

not so. storage on the door will shorten their life expectancy and make them more likely to absorb odors from other foods, but will not do them any harm.

Milk, on the other hand, being much more perishable than eggs, really should not be stored on the door.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen