Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Economical, healthy and quick suppers ideas

wereafamily

Post Tue, Jun 14 2011, 9:58 am
Economical, healthy and quick suppers ideas.... I know that's asking for a lot, but... DH is trying to diet... we can't afford expensive food.... I come home 45min before DH.

Any ideas?? I am really looking forward to them!!!

greeneyes

Post Tue, Jun 14 2011, 12:59 pm
Magedara - Egyptian Lentils & Rice

1 large onion, chopped
3 T. oil, for sauteing
1 cup lentils
1 cup rice
1/2 tsp. allspice
1/2 tsp. tumeric
1 tsp. salt

Saute onion in oil until translucent. Add lentils and saute approximately 1 minute. Add 2 1/2 to 3 cups water and cook for approximately 20 minutes. Drain lentils, reserving water in a measuring cup. Add water to measuring cup to equal a total of 2 1/4 cups. Boil water. Add rice, lentils, and spices. Cook until rice is done (approximately 20-25 minutes). (I serve it topped with plain greek yogurt or any plain yogurt. I make a big salad to go along with it.)

Variation: Substitute 1 cup brown rice, increase water to 3 cups and increase cooking time as needed.

How about omlettes? A big vegetable omlette, (can replace some whole eggs with egg whites to lower calories & fat), served with baked potato or sweet potato or a filling soup like split pea or mushroom barley.

Veggie burger sandwiches & salad or soup. You can buy the frozen kind or make & freeze your own if you want to be more economical.

This thread might be helpful to you:
http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....art=0

greeneyes

Post Tue, Jun 14 2011, 1:07 pm
Another great quick healthy dinner:

http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....lafel

Post Tue, Jun 14 2011, 1:41 pm
In a pinch, you can make wraps (You can use Lafa pitas as wraps) with vegetables, cold cuts or tuna. I like to use lettuce, tomatoes & pickles.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus