Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Openminded chareidi girls high school
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

cinnamon

Post Sun, Dec 15 2013, 12:36 pm
Isramom8 wrote:
B"H we now have a girls' high school in Raanana. It's the continuation of Chorev elementary school here. The high school is run as a Bet Yaakov and is geared especially for girls who grew up in a mixed environment like our city. My daughter is in 9th grade. She is happy because she didn't want a more modern school, nor a less modern one.

There are BY rules but they listen to the girls. For example, they just allowed backpacks instead of side shoulder bags because the side bags were heavy for the students to lug around.

The uniform blouses are really nice and almost fashionable.

They don't forbid sleepovers, etc. They suggest that gathering in large groups at a pizza shop isn't appropriate, but they don't forbid it.

You as the mother can be modern, as long as you don't interfere with the rules your daughter would be told to adhere to.

About half the girls are from other cities.

This year there is a 9th and 10th grade. A grade is added every year. This year there are about 30 girls in the whole school. They plan on full bagrut.

Wow this is so nice to hear. I am not in the parsha yet (my oldest is only in first grade) but I still think about it a lot and it's a real problem. I am not comfortable with sending to the bnei brak high schools (I might get more used to the idea if I see my daughter grow that way but not yet) Current schools out of town each have their own problems...
This new high school sounds a lot like Lustig. Is it's aim to be more Chareidi then Lustig, or about the same?
Are most of the girls from chorev? Is it the same type of girls like the chorev in Ramat Gan? Are there a lot of Anglos?
Can you share who the principal is and who built the school?
Thanks!

wispalover

Post Sun, Dec 15 2013, 12:57 pm
amother wrote:

Watch out. The principal is great but there are some seriously messed up girls there. Think boys, unfiltered internet and maybe worse. I will not go into detail but please be very careful.

Boys AND unfiltered internet? Oy Gevalt.

Isramom8 wrote:

They don't forbid sleepovers, etc. They suggest that gathering in large groups at a pizza shop isn't appropriate, but they don't forbid it.

What is wrong with sleepovers and meeting at a pizza shop with classmates?

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, Dec 15 2013, 2:12 pm
Why are people coming on this thread just to poke fun?

Isramom8

Post Sun, Dec 15 2013, 2:29 pm
Wispalover asked: "What is wrong with sleepovers and meeting at a pizza shop with classmates?"

I'm not judging it as right or wrong. I'm just saying that there are Israeli BY high schools that don't allow one or both of these things, and that my daughter's BY type high school doesn't forbid them.

There can be problems with these activities getting out of hand, I imagine.

Isramom8

Post Sun, Dec 15 2013, 2:36 pm
cinnamon wrote:
Isramom8 wrote:
B"H we now have a girls' high school in Raanana. It's the continuation of Chorev elementary school here. The high school is run as a Bet Yaakov and is geared especially for girls who grew up in a mixed environment like our city. My daughter is in 9th grade. She is happy because she didn't want a more modern school, nor a less modern one.

There are BY rules but they listen to the girls. For example, they just allowed backpacks instead of side shoulder bags because the side bags were heavy for the students to lug around.

The uniform blouses are really nice and almost fashionable.

You as the mother can be modern, as long as you don't interfere with the rules your daughter would be told to adhere to.

About half the girls are from other cities.

This year there is a 9th and 10th grade. A grade is added every year. This year there are about 30 girls in the whole school. They plan on full bagrut.

Wow this is so nice to hear. I am not in the parsha yet (my oldest is only in first grade) but I still think about it a lot and it's a real problem. I am not comfortable with sending to the bnei brak high schools (I might get more used to the idea if I see my daughter grow that way but not yet) Current schools out of town each have their own problems...
This new high school sounds a lot like Lustig. Is it's aim to be more Chareidi then Lustig, or about the same?
Are most of the girls from chorev? Is it the same type of girls like the chorev in Ramat Gan? Are there a lot of Anglos?
Can you share who the principal is and who built the school?
Thanks!

It aims to be more Chareidi than Lustig. In the 10th grade almost all the girls are from Chorev elementary. In the 9th grade about half the girls are from another local elementary school or nearby cities. There are a few Anglos, a few French families, etc. The principal is Mrs. Rachel Yujuk. Rav Yisrael Danziger of Bnei Brak built the Chorev Raanana elementary school and now the girls' high school. Chorev Raanana is a private school unconnected with any other school called Chorev.

Is the Chorev in Ramat Gan Dati Leumi/Zionistic? Tichon Chorev Raanana is apolitical. Not Zionist. Not anti-Zionist.

wispalover

Post Sun, Dec 15 2013, 3:16 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:

Was this directed at me? I was poking fun at the amother, who didn't even speak out under her own screenname.

As far as the pizza/ sleepovers, that was a genuine question. I have never heard of sleepovers or pizza being problematic.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Dec 16 2013, 8:38 am
I can see very old school families forbidding girls to go to a restaurant or café without an adult even during the day, or forbidding sleepovers because it's weird to them or "you never know". My mom wasn't allowed this, from her very modern but very old school parents. They saw it as "imposing your child on someone, why would you go you have a house here".

merelyme

Post Mon, Dec 16 2013, 9:12 am
op, there is an incredibly wide range of what people consider "modern," depending on who's doing the talking.

You might consider Bais Yaakov Batya (aka Dupark), Darkei Sarah in Givat Shaul, Peninei Chen in RBS, or Elite. Beit Shulamit might be a better fit, though it's not chareidi. There's also a new school connected with Neve Yerushalayim that's geared toward olim.

You can pm me if you'd like.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 19 2013, 10:35 pm
wispalover wrote:
MaBelleVie wrote:

Was this directed at me? I was poking fun at the amother, who didn't even speak out under her own screenname.

As far as the pizza/ sleepovers, that was a genuine question. I have never heard of sleepovers or pizza being problematic.

You made fun of the boys and unfiltered internet comment.

This may surprise you, but some parents want to bring up their daughters in a pure pure environment.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 19 2013, 10:38 pm
Ruchel wrote:
I heard from alumni that the demands in Ko Tomar are getting higher and higher.

Is it considered Chareidi? I would assume not based on the name.

out-of-towner

Post Thu, Dec 19 2013, 11:53 pm
amother wrote:
Ruchel wrote:
I heard from alumni that the demands in Ko Tomar are getting higher and higher.

Is it considered Chareidi? I would assume not based on the name.

Most definitely! The name is from the Passuk Ko Tomar L'Beit Yaakov.

But I know many alumnae and its very much a Charedi school

amother

Post Fri, Dec 20 2013, 1:10 am
Isramom8 wrote:
Chossidmom - what strong DL girls' high school? Maybe there's one you would consider to be in this category.

Yes, do share CM.

And what about what your community would say, and shidduchim?

The reality is, this is Israel. You try to fit in best where you can. But someone who lives in a purely Chareidi area does not send their child off to a DL school unless they haven't a clue about the social repurcussions.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Dec 20 2013, 6:47 am
KT? yes. It started yeshivish open but is increasingly charedi.

amother

Post Fri, Dec 20 2013, 7:07 am
Op- be aware that many open charedi schools have very charedi teachers and lots of not so great families. Talking from experience I'm leaning towards CM about sending to DL before open charedi BUT I can't think of one DL school id be comfortable sending to:(

Isramom you're making me reconsider raannana as a future option for us. We live in Israel and plan on staying and we're constantly thinking of where to send our kids to. They're still very small but the options do not look good.
The real problem is that renting/buying in raannana is so expensive! Plus we would need a car for DH to get to work. I guess maybe in the future...
Btw I've heard there's a new kolel program there - are you involved in it?

amother

Post Fri, Dec 20 2013, 7:18 am
amother wrote:
Op- be aware that many open charedi schools have very charedi teachers and lots of not so great families.

the eternal problem Sad

DrMom

Post Fri, Dec 20 2013, 7:39 am
amother wrote:
wispalover wrote:
MaBelleVie wrote:

You made fun of the boys and unfiltered internet comment.

This may surprise you, but some parents want to bring up their daughters in a pure pure environment.

What is "impure" about pizza or sleeping at a classmate's home?

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 4:06 am
Hi. I am currently trying to figure out this whole seminar thing for my oldest daughter. I could really use some guidance... We live in Yerushalayim and can't really move so I'm looking for a school here or possibly in RBS. The school has a counselor who is supposed to be helping us through the process but she has her own perspective and agenda. She suggested we try to get into Ma'alot (which she later told us is only accepting girls whose fathers are learning full time which my husband isn't) and Beit Bina. I really know next to nothing about these schools.
My daughter really needs a smaller, warmer school. She is quite shy and struggles with self-esteem issues. She does well academically but she has to work hard at it. Meaning, she is smart, but actually getting the work done is a big challenge for her. The biggest thing for me is that things at home are very challenging, even dysfunctional and it takes a big toll on her. A lot of her peers are very into going to a seminar that has a "good name" but for me it is less important. Maybe I am being naive but at this point in her life it's not a priority. She's not "off the derech" but she definately has some issues with Yiddishkeit. On the outside we look like a normal, somewhat quirky, Chareidi family and she looks like a normal, sweet, shy, good girl. But inside and at home, she's really really struggling.
And I can't tell any of this to the counselor from her school who's supposed to be helping us find her a school. So, does anyone have any insights as to what would be a good school for her? Thanks!

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 4:16 am
This is the previous amother: Forgot to add, all of the schools on the list of seminars we were given by her current school do not offer bagruyot. Are there good chareidi schools who do offer this? Any insights? Thanks!

2gether

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 4:32 am
This thread is ANCEINT! Why don't you start a new one?

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 5:03 am
Oh, does it make a difference? I would love some help with this. If a new thread helps, I'll start one.
Page 5 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions