Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets
Picking poo up on Shabbos

amother

Post Mon, Jun 27 2011, 12:34 pm
We have a dog and just moved into an apartment. It is highly frowned upon to not clean up after one's dog in the complex. Might also be in the rules, I just don't know definitively or not as I sit here and type this. But I have not had the issue before of cleaning up after the dog on Shabbos because previously we had a fenced yard and did not have to clean up after the dog on Shabbos.

We do live within an eruv. I would think carrying the poo is not a problem but the fact that one has to pick it up off the grass/dirt, etc is a problem because one may inadvertently pick up grass or sticks on Shabbos.

What do you other dog owner's do?

bwaybabe85

Post Mon, Jun 27 2011, 12:40 pm
I don't take my dog out on Shabbos (she's small and wee wee pad trained). Perhaps you could bring a newspaper and stick it under your dog when you see him/her ready to go?

shoshina

Post Mon, Jun 27 2011, 1:13 pm
Depending where you live, not picking up after your dog could easily get you a $50-$200 fine. It would also make you the most hated person in your neighborhood (I, for one, cannot stand people who do not pick up after their dogs in our area, its so inconsiderate!!!!!!!) I suggest piddle-pad training, that is what we did and it was successful. I also know people who successfully use the astro turf pad. I still take the dog for a walk, just only after a number 2, it is easy to still take him to number 1.

amother

Post Tue, Jul 05 2011, 10:20 pm
I pick it up, I can't afford the ticket!

amother

Post Wed, Jul 20 2011, 10:46 am
Original OP here: Well, I think I figured it out. I still take the dog out. I don't have the inclination to sit at home with him nor time to train him to go on pads.

So, I take him out and take along a sheet or two of old newspaper and plastic grocery bag. When he crouches to go #2, I put the paper under him which he goes on then I can just pick up the paper easily and put it in the bag and throw it away.

I can't think of any reasons it would not be halachically acceptable.

gp2.0

Post Thu, Jul 28 2011, 11:57 am
My first thought: Isn't the poop muktzeh?

There's some interesting and relevant information here. http://www.chabad.org/library/.....s.htm

amother

Post Wed, Aug 10 2011, 12:06 am
According to this, it can be moved. The public place the dog is taken is a place where people walk.

http://torah.org/learning/hala.....html#

happyone

Post Wed, Aug 10 2011, 8:01 am
amother wrote:
Original OP here: Well, I think I figured it out. I still take the dog out. I don't have the inclination to sit at home with him nor time to train him to go on pads.

So, I take him out and take along a sheet or two of old newspaper and plastic grocery bag. When he crouches to go #2, I put the paper under him which he goes on then I can just pick up the paper easily and put it in the bag and throw it away.

I can't think of any reasons it would not be halachically acceptable.

If you are picking up the paper and discarding it, is there an Eruv in your area?

happyone

Post Wed, Aug 10 2011, 8:02 am
amother wrote:
According to this, it can be moved. The public place the dog is taken is a place where people walk.

http://torah.org/learning/hala.....html#

This says nothing about pets.

amother

Post Thu, Aug 11 2011, 8:34 pm
This is an excerpt from the link. Do you think it also needs to say "pets" specifically when talking about repulsive things such as feces from human or chickens?

Chapter 88:17
Laws of Muktzeh on Shabbos

17. [The following rules apply] to repulsive things, such as feces or vomit - whether of humans or of chickens: If they are located in a house or a courtyard where people are sitting (1), they may be taken out to a trash heap on Shabbos (2).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets