Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Hypospadias

amother

Post Wed, Jun 29 2011, 5:07 pm
I cannot find any postings about hypospadias. Does anyone have any sons who have/had it and received corrective surgery? Was it a severe or mild case? How was the recovery?

Did anyone choose not to do the surgery with a more mild case?

Thanks!

abound

Post Wed, Jun 29 2011, 5:15 pm
My son had it the surgery done. What would you like to know about it?

amother

Post Wed, Jun 29 2011, 5:25 pm
Basically, what to expect. How long was the recovery? Was he in pain for awhile after? Is everything normal now?

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Jun 29 2011, 5:27 pm
My son had a mild case and surgery was not recommended. It never effected him in any way (he is now married).

abound

Post Wed, Jun 29 2011, 5:31 pm
Everything depends on the age of the child. Most surgeons will only do it when the child is around 1 years old. I had a surgeon that agreed to do it by 6 months but my son was not feeling very well so it had to be pushed off.
If he is in pampers and not crawling around much then it does not bother him too much.
The surgery itself is around 1/2 hour to an hour. They allowed one of us all the way in and we were with him till the anesthesia took effect. We were back next to him before he woke up so he did not miss us.
I do not remember the recovery being too hard since he was not crawling.
The hardest part for my son was that the day of the surgery he had to fast and that age child is not used to that.
Good Luck, it feels scary putting your child under the knife but it is done a lot and it is quite a routine surgery.

amother

Post Thu, Jun 30 2011, 9:25 am
My son had the surgery when he was 14 months old (his dr said its best between 10 - 18 months)

He had a mild case BH, but most ppl we spoke to (both rabbanim and medical professionals) recommended we do it anyway.

The surgery is an out-patient surgery and took about an hour. we were also with him until he was anesthetized, and back with him when they woke him. He didnt seem to be in any pain after the surgery - I was back at work, and he at the babysitter the next day!
The hardest part was changing his pampers - we had to make a hole in one pamper, stick his p*nis through, and put another pamper over it. (I made dh do it most of the time!)

He had a urinary stent put in during surgery, and had it removed in the doctor's office a week later. (I think thats what the double-pamper was for)

B'H it really wasnt a big deal at all!

abound

Post Thu, Jun 30 2011, 9:32 am
amother wrote:
My son had the surgery when he was 14 months old (his dr said its best between 10 - 18 months)

He had a mild case BH, but most ppl we spoke to (both rabbanim and medical professionals) recommended we do it anyway.

The surgery is an out-patient surgery and took about an hour. we were also with him until he was anesthetized, and back with him when they woke him. He didnt seem to be in any pain after the surgery - I was back at work, and he at the babysitter the next day!
The hardest part was changing his pampers - we had to make a hole in one pamper, stick his p*nis through, and put another pamper over it. (I made dh do it most of the time!)

He had a urinary stent put in during surgery, and had it removed in the doctor's office a week later. (I think thats what the double-pamper was for)

B'H it really wasnt a big deal at all!

My son also had a stent put in, but I just did double diapers, Can't imagine how you did it with the hole... Oh well.

amother

Post Thu, Jun 30 2011, 10:47 am
The surgeon did mention they might need to leave a stent in and that it would take about an hour and a half. My pediatrician questions though whether it is really neccesary to do the surgery. He said there is no downside to doing it but if it is a cosmetic issue then we probably should not but if it is a functionality issue than he sees the need and he defers to the surgeon on that question.

My son does have a mild case and also slight chordee. It just seems like such a fine line in his case between doing the surgery and not doing the surgery and I am not sure which is better.

amother

Post Sat, Jan 19 2013, 9:37 pm
Not OP

How do I know how severe it is?
He does have a chordee.
The pediatrician at the hospital said not to do the bris because "the urethra is very ventrally located". It ended up that the Rav had a technique for the bris which he had worked out with a top urologist (who will be doing the surgery imyH when my baby is 6 months).

annasday7

Post Tue, Mar 11 2014, 1:30 pm
Hi everyone. Can anyone please suggest a good pediatric urologist who repaired your sons' hypospadias and who was your Rav with whom you consulted? Tia!

abound

Post Tue, Mar 11 2014, 1:36 pm
where are you located? city, country....

annasday7

Post Tue, Mar 11 2014, 1:40 pm
NYC

amother

Post Tue, Mar 11 2014, 8:28 pm
I'm the original poster of this thread. I posted in the other thread you asked on today:

http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....48279

amother

Post Tue, Mar 11 2014, 8:33 pm
Dr. Stock

Beth Israel/Mount Sinai

amother

Post Tue, Mar 11 2014, 8:41 pm
My son had the procedure done at arnd 10 months. The surgery took abt an hour or so. He woke up groggy but bh everything went well. He had to have a catheter in for a week which was annoying but I didn't have to change any diapers:) his was a severe case and his bris was unique but bh everything went well and looks great.

annasday7

Post Tue, Mar 11 2014, 11:22 pm
Thank you for responding. I hope your child is doing well now.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics