Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Order of the morning for kids??

amother

Post Thu, Oct 12 2006, 1:08 pm
I don't know if there is a thread on this yet but I would really like to know what other people do.
I grew up pretty modern and I'm married now with 2 children and 1 on the way IY"H. My husband comes from a pretty yeshivish family and every time my in laws come over I feel like I have no idea what I'm doing w/ my kids. What exactly is the way things should go? Do they wake up and say modeh ani in bed, then go to bathroom and brush teeth, then wash negal vaser where and how? in bathroom or kitchen when done? w/ a bracha or w/o? how many times do they wash?, then do they get dressed? and then eat breakfast? I wish I knew what the right thing to do is. My MIL and FIL tend to critisize indirectly sometimes directly, I usually just feel stupid:( and I would like my kids to know what to do. Can I assume anything after that will be said during davening in school? is there anything else that I'm supposed to be doing in the morning? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Oct 12 2006, 3:35 pm
maybe a teacher at one of your kids' schools would help you.

mummy-bh

Post Thu, Oct 12 2006, 4:21 pm
Here's what my younger kids do. Obviously their ages and maturity levels play a big part
amother wrote:
Do they wake up and say modeh ani in bed,

Yes

then go to bathroom and brush teeth, then wash negal vaser where and how?

Younger ones wash in the bathroom, older ones wash by their beds.

w/ a bracha or w/o?

Without - the bracha is part of the davening they do at school.

And don't worry about your in-laws are thinking. Just concentrate on doing what you're best at - excellent chinuch for your children!

how many times do they wash?,

Six altogether - right left right left right left. My oder kids wash again after dressing.

then do they get dressed? and then eat breakfast?

Yes

Can I assume anything after that will be said during davening in school?

Ask the teachers what they daven. I always like to know what my kids daven so that I can do the same on non-school days.
Try not to worry about what your in-laws are thinking and concentrate instead on providing excellent chinuch for your children. You certainly seem to me to be doing a wonderful job!

mummy-bh

Post Thu, Oct 12 2006, 4:23 pm
Whoops!
I think I just realised that I have absolutely NO idea how to quote properly!! Sorry!!!!

amother

Post Thu, Oct 12 2006, 6:04 pm
To mummy-bh, thank you for your reply

Annie

Post Thu, Oct 12 2006, 7:27 pm
Here it depends how old the kids are. My 7 year old, wakes up, says modeh ani then washes neggel vasser and then gets dressed and then eats breakfast. In second grade in her school, they still do all the brochos and modeh ani in school in case someone hasn't said it at home.

With my 4 year olds, when they wake up, we do neggel vasser in the bathroom and then they get dressed. After breakfast, either we "daven" with "I open one eye, I open two . . . etc" on a non-school day, or we get all our stuff together and then go to school where they daven.

Sometimes the 4 year olds will say Modeh Ani with their sister if they're in her room, but it's nothing consistent.

We don't do the neggel vasser by the bed (a yekke thing), and I think it's better that way for us b/c I can only imagine what my kids would do with water in their room.

busymom

Post Thu, Oct 12 2006, 7:52 pm
mummy-bh wrote:
Whoops!
I think I just realised that I have absolutely NO idea how to quote properly!! Sorry!!!!

I finally figured it out, so here goes: ya know that quote thing that appears at the beginning (the word "quote" inside [ ] ) and at the end ("/quote" inside [ ] ) when you press the quote button? well, when you want to quote several times in one post, you gotta put those beginning and end things around each quote separately, otherwise, the entire thing appears as one big quote, as it did in your post! hope this helps... Very Happy
and amother, in my house it's done pretty much the same way as mymmy-bh wrote.

shoy18

Post Thu, Oct 12 2006, 8:07 pm
why dont you ask your hub how he did it as a kid? That way he can tell you if you have the minhag to wash by your bed

amother

Post Fri, Oct 13 2006, 12:27 pm
thanks again everyone. have a good shabbos and yom tov!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics