Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Very long flight with children
1  2  Next

timeout

Post Tue, Mar 22 2005, 3:25 pm
I'll be going I'H April 20 to Israel with my toddler 3 and half and my 11 month old, we're making 2 stops and I did not order a seat for the baby.

I would love some advice to keep my sanity it will be about 20 hours total, and what seat would be best I'm still nursing totally no cup or bottle.

Thanks

Tefila

Post Tue, Mar 22 2005, 3:29 pm
20 hrs holding a baby Hatzlacha Rabbah don't envy you!
One minute will any adult be coming along coz maybe they can assist you

timeout

Post Tue, Mar 22 2005, 3:31 pm
my husband and my parents will be coming with.

Tefila

Post Tue, Mar 22 2005, 3:39 pm
Phew then not sooo bad, tell everyone to rest well b/4 hand and forget about sleep on the plane. Unless you all alternate!

And as far as your toddler what about having magnetic book games, aswell as coloring paraphnelia, favourite blanket or toy and tire tot out btw flights etc. The most I 've traveled on my own w/h 2 is 7 hrs and just about managed.

But since you have others hopefully it will be easier so Hatzlacha

1stimer

Post Tue, Mar 22 2005, 3:48 pm
if ur nursign baby - get a seat with room.... I nursed my baby almost the whole flight and seat was so tight it was so uncomfortable...

timeout

Post Tue, Mar 22 2005, 5:43 pm
1stimer....

where was your seat? window? aisle?

Rochel Leah

Post Tue, Mar 22 2005, 8:14 pm
Tovah you are lucky that you will have your husband and parents with you..at least you can all take turns holding the baby.

I am flying to South africa by myself with my 22 month old and I am not getting a seat for him because it is too expensive...it is two flights, flying through holland. 8 hours to holland and 10 hours to johannesburg and a 4 hour layover..I am dreading it as he is going to run around and not going to sit still for a minute. my grandparents are going to be on the flight from holland to johannesburg but they aren't going to be much of a help-they are old and the types that will be there only when he is in a good mood. I am praying for an empty seat, considerate seatmates and stewardesses and maybe a wonder drug that will knock him out fro the whole flight... Wink

BlumaG

Post Tue, Mar 22 2005, 9:06 pm
my baby, 14 months had a cold so I gave her pediacare to ease her sinuses n it knocked her out after we took off, it was 3 hrs n she slept the whole way, it wasn ight time, u cud always regive a dose
u cud try chamomile tea
on the way bak she had a stomach bug so to settle her stomache I gave her dramamine n she was knocked out in 15 mniutes

timeout

Post Tue, Mar 22 2005, 9:28 pm
Rochel Leah I thought I had it bad now I see I have it very good!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you Very Happy

raizy

Post Tue, Mar 22 2005, 9:56 pm
get a bulkhead seat . that what I usally do. it is in the middle of the first row. it is meant for parents with kids.

I traveled to london with 2 kids under 2 one was 18 months and one was 5 months. b"h I had my hubby to help me

also sometimes u have to walk a mile to get to your gate so request that someone take u there.

we had someone take us with their little golfcart to the gate it is easyeir then walking there with 2 kids.

indianamom4

Post Tue, Mar 22 2005, 10:33 pm
when we were living in Israel and had to travel with our kids our ped. told us that we could try giving benadryl. just make sure that you try giving it to them before the flight one time to make sure that it doesnt make them hyper instead of sleepy! LOL

ForeverYoung

Post Tue, Mar 22 2005, 10:46 pm
as you will be nursing, you will need to drink a lot - airplain air is very dry.
And you will need lots of frinks for your toddler.

Check in in advance to get the seat u want

IndyMom

Post Tue, Mar 22 2005, 11:00 pm
we are doing the isral for pesach thing too. We have a 3 year old, a 2 year old and ill be 7 months pregnant. WE have a 12 hour stopover in amsterdam and will be traveling for thirtysomething hours before my kids get to a real bed. I don't know how we aer going to survive it, but hopefully it will all work out. I know I am taking dramamine with us since my kids get carsick on logn trips and I dont want to risk it on the plane.

indianamom4

Post Tue, Mar 22 2005, 11:24 pm
Good luck Indymom! you will certainly need it. tell us how it went when you get back!

Liba

Post Thu, Mar 24 2005, 12:57 am
When I went to Israel last it was just me and my baby. My husband was home with the big girls. My baby was 4 months old and sleeps well at night so we went on an evening flight and she slept right through. It was wonderful. I had a regular window seat since I feel less exposed nursing in a window seat than on the isle. embarrassed I feel like half the plane can see me when I am on the isle nursing and I can't not nurse for that long! I don't generally nurse when there are men around so even if I am completely covered I am uncomfortable. I also liked the regular seats because besides the privacy they were squishy enough that my knees were pressed into the seat in front of me so when I feel alseep there was no where for the baby to fall LOL It was a totally unintended fringe benifit but it worked well. I had a wonderful lady sitting next to me as well. The whole flight was very pleasant.

Since I had my carseat with me and there was an empty seat they let Esther Rivka have her own seat on the way home. It wasn't that much easier on me than the way there. Since she had a safety seat I wasn't comfortable holding her during take off and she was tired and wanted to nurse. It was a little frustrating. Smile It all worked out well though!

Pickle Lady

Post Thu, Mar 24 2005, 1:28 am
You know what I really hated when we traveled over sees was....customs and passport control. Thats real torture with kids. Bring umbrella strollers and beg the stewardess to store it on the plane when you get off. The worst is holding a baby forever while your doing passport control and holding all your bags from the plane. I cried when they told me I would only get my stoller in the luggage claim. Also be prepared for the worse...like long lay overs.

curlyhead

Post Thu, Mar 24 2005, 4:41 am
I flew about 18 hours alone with a 18month old and one stop. The best is the bulk head. My son slept on the floor for like 8 hours ALso good because he got to move around. Window will be better for nursing. Get a poach for the baby.
Ask now for the seet you want. Also try to get an empty seet next to you. The trick is to ask when you check in and if they don't give you one then ask by the gate and ask again as tehy are boarding the plane. By then they could free up seet of people who did not yet come. For 5 out of 6 flights I got am empty seat next to me even though the plane was full and it was high season.

Tefila

Post Thu, Mar 24 2005, 6:17 am
You know I was just thinking if you ask for middle seat then if the plane is packed most normal people wouldn't mind switching w/h mother and infant. However if it's not then you also stand a chance of having an empty seat for free!
So take along your carseat just in case! Coz we were sooo lucky officially the twins were supposed to sit on both my and my husbands laps but since plane was empty they got to sat in their carseats next to us free of charge! And they will only let infant seats by the window! Hatzlacha

chanab

Post Thu, Mar 24 2005, 5:43 pm
When you check in, ask if theres an empty seat they could block off for you. BEG! If there isn't, or they say they don't know yet, then ask what time check-in closes and right away go ask at the gate if they have an extra seat and shuffle around your seats for you. This has worked for me MANY times. Also find something that you can complain about, so they will give you that extra seat as a courtesy. Once my kosher meals weren't on the plane and I made quite the fuss (even though I had my sandwiches with me Wink ...) and was given all 5 extra seats on the plane. And INSIST on gate delivery with your stroller. *some* countries don't have it, I think Israel is one, so insist on stowing the stroller on board. My husband gets embarrassed by my antics on the plane, believe me,but later is VERY thankful.......Its not fun carrying the carry-ons, babies etc etc thru passport control. If all else fails ie, no stroller--INSIST on assistance .I've also done this.the plus is that they speed you thru passport-control.
Make separate ziploc bag pekelach of activities and nosh for each kid and cheap video games (which I never give my kids excpt on a plane) work wonders during check-in, passport control etc
And remember, you will probably never see the people on the plane again, so don't worry how your kids behave.
HATZLOCHA!

Pickle Lady

Post Sun, Mar 27 2005, 2:18 am
Quote:
When you check in, ask if theres an empty seat they could block off for you. BEG! If there isn't, or they say they don't know yet, then ask what time check-in closes and right away go ask at the gate if they have an extra seat and shuffle around your seats for you. This has worked for me MANY times.

I have to try this. This sounds like a good tactic.

Quote:
And INSIST on gate delivery with your stroller. *some* countries don't have it, I think Israel is one, so insist on stowing the stroller on board. My husband gets embarrassed by my antics on the plane, believe me,but later is VERY thankful.......Its not fun carrying the carry-ons, babies etc etc thru passport control. If all else fails ie, no stroller--INSIST on assistance .I've also done this.the plus is that they speed you thru passport-control.

I made the mistake of not insisting. Bad mistake and I had to hold my son for 30 min during passport control. I cried and cried to the flight attendents. My husband also gets embarresed. They forgotour kosher food on one of our flights and I made my husband go around to all the other yidden and get their leftovers. I was nursing a 4 month old at the time and I had a real appitite.

Quote:
And remember, you will probably never see the people on the plane again, so don't worry how your kids behave.
HATZLOCHA!

So true.

This thread is bringing back memories of when we went to south africa. I hated that flight. It was such a nightmare. And now my inlaws want us to go back there this summer....ummmm We are still thinking about it.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics