Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Head lice-the miracle cure
1  2  Next

sandy

Post Mon, Oct 16 2006, 6:57 am
hi
I can't seem to find a thread on this topic already..is that possible??? Very Happy
I can't manage to get rid of the lice in my two daughters 4 and 2 year old..it's a daily struggle!!!!!
what I've been doing till now is putting tons of conditioner in their hair and then combing out their hair with a lice comb and then hand picking out the eggs-I also wash their linens every time!

pleeezz post some miracle cures!!! I've had nightmares over this!!never mind the time involved!!

Ruchel

Post Mon, Oct 16 2006, 7:12 am
You can buy shampoos against that in pharmacies. Good luck!

shoy18

Post Mon, Oct 16 2006, 7:53 am
Where do you live? if you live in the NY area you can just call a proffessional Lady who will take care of it. If you dont look online you may have a lice center in your area where you can take your kids

Mitzvahmom

Post Mon, Oct 16 2006, 7:56 am
well,I lived abovea family that got it all the time.. B"H my kids never got it!!

honestly, I give them salt water baths atleast once a week.

Raisin

Post Mon, Oct 16 2006, 8:08 am
I used a natural product called lice attack. It worked on one of my kids, but not the other, so I am trying it again. Plus combing, combing, combing, combing.

Also there should be a method to the combing. You have to do every 3 days, so the small ones can't grow and lay more eggs.

MyKidsRQte

Post Mon, Oct 16 2006, 8:14 am
All the "Miracle" recipes I have been given for lice included Vinegar. I found using tons of pantene conditioner(supposedly the slickest) and combing very well-worked. I then spray the hair with vinegar

faigie

Post Mon, Oct 16 2006, 9:15 am
my kid once had the motherload infection of lice
the cure was a full package of margarine gooped up into her hair.
apparently the margarine cap suofocates the little buggers.
then the stuff was washed out and hair was combed thru.
no more buggies, but ohhhhhhh was her hair silky soft!

Pickle Lady

Post Mon, Oct 16 2006, 9:29 am
faigie wrote:
my kid once had the motherload infection of lice
the cure was a full package of margarine gooped up into her hair.
apparently the margarine cap suofocates the little buggers.
then the stuff was washed out and hair was combed thru.
no more buggies, but ohhhhhhh was her hair silky soft!

my aunt is also dealing with lice in her house. she has been doing the same thing to kill the bugs and then picks out the nits.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Oct 16 2006, 9:43 am
The shampoos and lice ladies cna only help so much; you need regular damage control like Pantene, mayo, or marg in the hair.

Mommies too!

amother

Post Mon, Oct 16 2006, 10:01 am
Lice: my favorite occupation!

Conditioner is good for trapping the lice thereby aiding their removal, but does not kill them. Sometimes in a more persistent case, it's good to combine the conditioner treatment with something that also kills bugs. That's where the margarine would come in.

I heard of another interesting recipe a few years ago, however the measurements might be off. half a cup dishwashing lotion, half a cup olive oil, half a cup, or quarter cup(? forgot how much) baking soda. mix, and apply to scalp and hair, leave on a half hour, then wash out and comb. supposed to kill the critters.

Almost nothing kills the nits( except for certain medicated treatments available by prescription but considered toxic to some degree and therefore not recommended), which at certain points of their development are impervious to treatment and therefore must be removed.

I suspect that the reason you are having such a persistent problem, even though you are combing all the time is because you don't have a good lice comb. The teeth must be very close together. Not all combs in the pharmacies are good, some are seriously lousy (couldn't resist Wink) . Try the Assy 2000. And after combing, check the hair strand by strand, by separating the hair into sections, and checking each section thoroughly. A pencil is good for separating even sections, and they can be secured with spring clips, making it easy to unclip, check, and reclip. The nits are usually 1/4 to 1/2 inch away from the scalp.

I do this professionally, therefore annonymous.

Tefila

Post Mon, Oct 16 2006, 10:41 am
Weird is it the season 4 it now. Snce we have two cases like this in our preschool now. I wish parents when sending their kids to school would keep their kids hair tied up or cut for starters. It won't cause anything to spread then.
I like the margarine idea as prevention how do you wash it out though Confused Also those lice shampoos be careful their is controversy with them not if they work, but what side effects they can have on a child neurologically Confused It's strong stuff Exclamation

carrot

Post Mon, Oct 16 2006, 11:05 am
I read somewhere that lice shampoos are less effective than they used to be. The lice are developing immunity to them or something.

happymom

Post Mon, Oct 16 2006, 11:10 am
I heard mayonnaise works to kill the lice..

Mishie

Post Mon, Oct 16 2006, 11:36 am
The ONLY method that really works is:

You must comb the kids' hair EVERY SINGLE DAY!!!! (after their bath/shower)

It doesn't work any other way!!!

I also recommend using the Assy2000 Comb - works wonders!!!

Continue combing until the comb comes out completely clean!!! (warning - this might take over half an hour per child, but well worth it!!!)

It's really frustrating when you send your kids to school with perfectly clean hair, and they come home crawling.... it's just not fair!!!
Sometimes, I take my kids to the bath the minute they walk through the door... and then comb their hair until I'm absolutely sure there's nothing there....

cindy324

Post Mon, Oct 16 2006, 2:43 pm
I use the Nisska comb , which you can buy in the pharmacy here in Brooklyn. It's about $25. I was also at my wits end when my kids came home with a headful of lice(my worst nightmare). I took them to a lady , g-d bless her, she saved my sanity. She showed me how she shmears on the Pantene conditioner, takes the Nisska comb, combs through section by section, after each comb through she wipes the comb on a white tissue, so you can see all the buggers that come out and the nits too. Last time I discovered nits in my DD 's hair, I did what she did, but got a bit obsessive and combed and combed for probably an hour straight embarrassed Oh, and I also cut her hair to the top of her shoulder before I began. It's a lot easier to comb shorter hair.

also, Mishie's right. After the initial combing you must repeat every day after a bath or shower, no need to use the conditioner again, for about a week, then comb through occasionally for maintenance.

Sandy, you might also want to consider going to a pro. They charge about $60/head, and the lady I went to guarantees complete clean-out in one hour, and you can come back for up to ten days for recheck at no additional charge. If you'd like her name and number, PM me if you live in Boro Park/ Flatbush area. It's an investment that will let you stop washing sheets and going bonkers, it's well worth it, believe me.

mumoo

Post Sun, Nov 19 2006, 9:27 pm
I slathered on Vaseline and a plastic bag for 6 hours. the nits were definitely dead and easy to comb out. it was hard washing out the vaseline though, I used dish soap. None of the other 6 of us got it, b"H

I heard that mayonnaise does the same suffocating thing, also the vinegar in it kills any live lice (we only saw nits) and is much easier to wash out.

I spray tea tree oil (rosemary is good too) on fresh washed hair to repel lice. you can find it in the black hair care section.

Getting an expert in nit-picking is a great idea; a person can get bleary checking so many days in a row.

Sofia2

Post Sun, Nov 19 2006, 9:34 pm
I heard a great prevention is to put some garlic drops on the kids' hair every day.
Not thats its relevant for now, but I saw this article on a new invention- much like a blow dryer but like 200% stronger- that simply BURNS the little bugs and their eggs. Its not on the market yet and when it will be will cost close to $3,000- just thought that was interesting.

mumoo

Post Sun, Nov 19 2006, 9:41 pm
we used a flat iron every day-it works on wet hair so the temp gets high
and only cost 19.99

amother

Post Sun, Nov 19 2006, 10:46 pm
ZOFIT wrote:
that simply BURNS the little bugs and their eggs.
Just make sure it doesn't burn the child's scalp,ears, neck!

Blow drying is supposed to be effective. But the heat's got to be strong, and that could also be too strong for the scalp!

amother

Post Sun, Dec 24 2006, 1:08 pm
hi
I found the miracle product it's cold silicom it's 100%natural made with silicone no smell really great you put it at night and in the morning all the lice are dead on the bed you have to do the same 7 days later fantastic I think you can buy this on internet if not in the pharm
good luck
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics