Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cookbooks
POLL: Which is better?
1  2  Next

Where do you find most of your recipes?
Cookbook  
 40%  [ 44 ]
Cooking Magazine  
 6%  [ 7 ]
Cooking Website/Blog  
 30%  [ 34 ]
Other, such as Ima Mother ;)  
 22%  [ 25 ]
Total Votes : 110

thekosherchannel

Post Thu, Jul 07 2011, 10:16 pm
Besides, friends and family, what is your favorite cooking resource?

yo'ma

Post Fri, Jul 08 2011, 5:36 am
I love using my cookbooks the most, but I also expand on my own cookbooks with printing recipes I find/look for online either on imamother or googling.

ChaniH

Post Fri, Jul 08 2011, 7:02 am
b"h when I got married my student bought me 5 beautiful cookbooks and a few that I got as gifts but my favorite one is Suzie Fishbein 30 min meals everything in there is easy and yummy

bigsis144

Post Fri, Jul 08 2011, 8:58 am
Many of my Shabbos salad dressings are from cookbooks, because I can't use the internet, but otherwise, I'm mostly an allrecipes.com girl -- I like seeing other people's ratings.

de_goldy

Post Fri, Jul 08 2011, 9:02 am
I am an allrecipes fan too. when a recipe has fifty+ reviews you can really get a good idea of what to do, change, leave etc.

aidelmaidel

Post Fri, Jul 08 2011, 9:12 am
You didn't give an "all of the above" option!

My best recipes come from all different sources.
- My savory breaded chicken came from my rebbetzin and I modified it (I have people tell me mine is better then hers Wink )
- I love Vegetarian Times Magazine. If you can get past the propaganda there are a lot of GREAT healthy recipes that are parve, dairy, or easily made parve.
- I very rarely make recipes out of the frum magazines, but when I do, I find them worthwhile
- I have an ENTIRE bookshelf of cookbooks (4 shelves). It's a sickness.
- Some great websites I use for recipes: www.Epicurious.com (owned by the publisher of Gourmet, Bon Apetit, etc.) and www.supercook.com (a search engine type website where you enter the ingredients you have and it searches the web for recipes that have those ingredients - it's an EXCELLENT resource for when you have a ton of ______ that you need to use).\
- I also trust myself to experiment - a recipe is a guideline (baking excepted), you can change things and still have them come out delicious!

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Jul 08 2011, 9:22 am
aidelmaidel wrote:
You didn't give an "all of the above" option!

My best recipes come from all different sources.
- My savory breaded chicken came from my rebbetzin and I modified it (I have people tell me mine is better then hers Wink )
- I love Vegetarian Times Magazine. If you can get past the propaganda there are a lot of GREAT healthy recipes that are parve, dairy, or easily made parve.
- I very rarely make recipes out of the frum magazines, but when I do, I find them worthwhile
- I have an ENTIRE bookshelf of cookbooks (4 shelves). It's a sickness.
- Some great websites I use for recipes: www.Epicurious.com (owned by the publisher of Gourmet, Bon Apetit, etc.) and www.supercook.com (a search engine type website where you enter the ingredients you have and it searches the web for recipes that have those ingredients - it's an EXCELLENT resource for when you have a ton of ______ that you need to use).\
- I also trust myself to experiment - a recipe is a guideline (baking excepted), you can change things and still have them come out delicious!

Yes
I go to the internet if I want to find out how to make xy or z or I have some ingredients, or something's tickling my brain. BTW, imamother is a great resource for those kind of hunts. I tend to google, and find myself following recipes from epicurious and some of the other recipes that make it there on the list.

I'll make stuff from the frum magazines, or secular if interesting, but probably least on the list.

I love books. I go to the library and take out a few at a time and often find I like a lot of stuff, photocopy a lot. If there's a Cooks Illustrated/America's Test Kitchen new book on anything I'll certainly get it out.

I buy cookbooks too, but garage sale finds, so I have stuff like "The Hot Dog Cookbook", "The Popcorn Cookbook", a small book just on potatoes, various incarnations of Betty Crocker, etc. Recently a local frum organization had a garage sale and I actually found a few cookbooks, mostly sisterhood type things. They often have great, great recipes.

spring13

Post Fri, Jul 08 2011, 9:32 am
I love allrecipes.com, its my first stop just about any time I'm looking for a recipe.

Blueberry Muffin

Post Fri, Jul 08 2011, 3:38 pm
another allrecipes.com fan here!

or ill google an ingredient or type of dish and then click on images and open the links of the pictures I think look yummy!

yaelinIN

Post Fri, Jul 08 2011, 5:12 pm
food.com for me -- I found an AMAZING General Tso's tofu recipe there a couple of weeks ago. I have gotten such good recipes from there.

I also have four bookshelves of cookbooks (this after Hurricane Katrina -- I had more and better cookbooks before), but chose not to bring any cookbooks with me for this three month stint in Honolulu, knowing we would not eat much chicken/meat (only for Shabbos) and a lot more fish and tofu and vegetarian foods. I figured that between the internet and Imamother I would be fine. I have not needed any of my cookbooks (although I have checked some out of the local library for ideas I could peruse when I am not on the computer). I wonder if I will bring any cookbooks to Japan (should our family go in a year)?

random

Post Sun, Jul 10 2011, 7:35 am
Yael - could you post the General Tsao tofu recipe? I'm always looking for good things to do with tofu!!

I love allrecipes.com, because, like everyone else says, the ratings and the reviews give you great ways to change and better the recipes. For Jewish stuff (like kugels, etc.) I use imamother - you guys are awesome! I make a whole chicken recipe that I got here which is super easy and unbelievably delicious! DH says it tastes like it's made with butter...Wink
(It's here: http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....icken - sneakermom's recipe)

For fun, I read smittenkitchen.com, but I don't use her recipes that often (I don't have the ingredients she uses around the house usually...). When I do, though, they're yummy! And she's just really enjoyable to read.

thekosherchannel

Post Sun, Jul 10 2011, 1:45 pm
This is very interesting, thanks ladies.

I'm surprised the magazines don't get more votes. I mostly taught myself to cook with Food and Wine recipes, adapting them for kosher. Much easier now with the kosher columns and magazines. Cookbooks? I have too many for my own good, and like old friends, I wouldn't part with one of them. Most have not one photo.

For inspiration I often hit allrecipes to see what's rated highest, read and incorporate the comments. I had one winner, margarine-free chocolate crinkle cookies and one dud, also marg-free, oatmeal craisin cookies this Shabbos from allrecipes. So it goes.

Anyone else care to weigh in?

Tre's Chic-ka

Post Sun, Jul 10 2011, 2:04 pm
My best friend who is a cookbook author swears by her cooking magazines - she literally subscribes to every one known on the planet along with cookbooks and the internet. Me a regular - mom who cooks for her family goes prefer websites and the occasional recipe magazine - they are cheaper than cookbooks and more current as far as new ideas - the internet - hit or miss - I check out the chefs I love on food network, cook america, and of course www.kosherstreet.com - all recipes.com is ok but have tried a few recipes that I was not thrilled with - yet had high marks - so a little wary now.

these latest "kosher" attempts at cooking magazines - in theory a great idea - but they dont hold a candle to the non-kosher as far as directions and good information - and they are not diverse enough -

kosher inspired is getting better first two really missed the mark in my opinion - third one was much better

jamie gellers joy of kosher - not a huge fan - seen all those recipes in the non-kosher version - much better written I was looking to be inspired for new ideas - I expected more

bitayavon - is trying hard - also mass improvement from the first to their 3 rd attempt as far as pics and layouts - recipes and content still need work

bits and bites - hate the pics - they all look gray - very unappetizing - so I have never picked up one - even though the $1 price tag is great

The question is can these guys stay in business long enough to make a mark in the magazine world?

I think with the ease of internet and getting good recipes - the day of the magazine is maybe numbered - cookbooks- I think will always be here - but I think you will see them get cheaper and cheaper - and now anyone can write a cookbook and have it published - so only those that are tried and true and cheap will survive...

just an opinion Smile
Effie
visit me tre's chic-ka

aidelmaidel

Post Sun, Jul 10 2011, 2:07 pm
thekosherchannel wrote:
This is very interesting, thanks ladies.

I'm surprised the magazines don't get more votes. I mostly taught myself to cook with Food and Wine recipes, adapting them for kosher. Much easier now with the kosher columns and magazines. Cookbooks? I have too many for my own good, and like old friends, I wouldn't part with one of them. Most have not one photo.

For inspiration I often hit allrecipes to see what's rated highest, read and incorporate the comments. I had one winner, margarine-free chocolate crinkle cookies and one dud, also marg-free, oatmeal craisin cookies this Shabbos from allrecipes. So it goes.

Anyone else care to weigh in?

I find the magazine recipes hard - I have zero organization skills and if I want to see a recipe I saw previously, I just go to the magazine website to get the recipe. But the frum mags don't have websites - and I hate taking pages out of magazines.

Cookbooks are more like food p0rn for me. Especially ones with pictures.

In general I find anything on epicurious.com is good.

skymile

Post Mon, Jul 11 2011, 1:18 pm
it depends. if I'm looking for a specific recipe I A) post on fb and ask friends, B) post on imamother, C) search online.
usually my friends post pics on fb and they attach recipes. I bookmark them and use them at a later date.

I also have a few AMAZING recipes from my father, like his stuffed chicken, peasach lokshen, spinach, lasagna...

shnitzel

Post Mon, Jul 11 2011, 4:38 pm
I like reading cookbooks but rarely cook from them since I find it a pain to take them out and search through them. I use allrecipes.com for more basic recipes and foodblogsearch.com for more interesting recipes.

thekosherchannel

Post Sat, Jul 16 2011, 9:46 pm
luv2cook4eva wrote:
I also have a few AMAZING recipes from my father, like his stuffed chicken, peasach lokshen, spinach, lasagna...

Can you share the stuffed chicken and/or another of your father's recipes?

skymile

Post Sun, Jul 17 2011, 12:32 pm
stuffed chicken;

ingredients;
4 bottoms
1 large bilkeleh (or any leftover challah/bread)
1 small parsnip
2-3 stalks of celery
1 large onion- diced
1 large onion- cut in rings
parsley flakes (dry)
parsley leave- fresh and checked
1 cup oil
salt/pepper to taste
9x13 pan

preheat oven to 450
dice parsnip, and celery. saute with onion till it gets glassy and parsnip gets soft. add some parsley flakes and some salt/pepper to taste.
soak challah in cold water (if you are using frozen challah, it will defrost within a minute once you soak it). remove hard crusts and squeeze out any water. mix challah with vegetables. make sure to have small chunks of challah. taste and add necessary spices.
wash and cut off fat from chicken (leave skin)
spread onion rings on the bottom of the pan. add raw chicken. put approximately a handful of stuffing under the skin
in a small bowl, mix oil with paprika powder. baste chicken well. garnish each piece of chicken with a parsley leaf. cover and bake for 2 hours and 10 minutes. uncover and lower oven to 150 till you're ready to serve.
serves 4-5

tip: you can use about 12 chicken wing instead
tip: if you have leftover challah mixture, put it in the pan and make it like a kugel
tip: you can sub any vegetables but do not compromise on the onions or the parsley.

thekosherchannel

Post Mon, Jul 18 2011, 2:33 am
luv2cook4eva wrote:
stuffed chicken

sounds yum! thanks~

Soul on fire

Post Mon, Jul 18 2011, 11:07 am
I'm also an all of the above. I leisurely flip through cookbooks and magazines when I'm bored or hungry and use the internet when I am looking to use specific ingredients. Allrecipes is one of my faves too.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics