Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Washington DC

Ambassador-to-KJ

Post Mon, Oct 16 2006, 1:11 pm
Dh and I are planning on taking a 2-3 day vacation to washinton dc in a week or two. Last time I was there was on my 8th grade graduation trip LOL. Dh was never there and we are both excited to go. I have a few Qs

1. Anybody know any nice Bed and Breakfasts in the area, or where have you stayed when going there. (we cannot stay at the Farbreng Inn)

2. If youve gone there what would be your recommended list of MUST SEE things?

3. Is there anywhere Kosher to eat down there?

Post Mon, Oct 16 2006, 1:49 pm
1. Places in d.c. itself are going to be $$$$$$

2. Air & Space Museum, The Spy Museum, Holocaust Museum, White House, Mall, Capitol, etc

3. Not much to eat in D.C. - there may be something at the DC JCC. You can take the short drive to silver spring for some other places or to baltimore for a few more.

busymom

Post Mon, Oct 16 2006, 2:13 pm
when dh and I made the trip some yrs ago, we stayed in motel near shul in silver springs. kosher places to eat there too, and we took train every morning to d.c. Wasn't a long ride (don't remember now exactly) and the rail system there is fantastic, very easy and uncomplicated. in d.c. you can also take train from one location to another. or taxi. driving and finding parking may be hard...

we went to supreme court, capital (if you first go to your state's rep/sen office, you can get pass to see congress in session from gallery. pays to get it I think) there are many smith. museums along the mall nearby. take a walk. great photo ops with washington monument, capitol.. in background, and check out some museums along the way.
holocaust museum was incredible. the mint is next door, so go there too. (we couldn't get in b/c they had school tours scheduled, but I've heard it's very interesting) FBI has very interesting tour, but we missed it cuz gotta go very early in morning to get in. limited amount of ppl per day. get info.

hope the above helps. have a great time!

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Oct 16 2006, 2:15 pm
I grew up there!

Are you driving? You can stay in Richmond or Silver Spring/Baltimore Area.

I adore the ZOO.

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Oct 16 2006, 2:24 pm
Eli's Restaurant
Address/Phone: 1253 20th St., NW [map]
Washington, DC 20036 UNITED STATES
phone: (202) 785-4314 fax: (202) 659-1331
Neighborhood: DuPont Circle
Metro Area: Washington D.C. Metro area
Cuisine: American, Continental
Price Range: $$
Category: Meat, Vegetarian, Pareve
Additional Kosher Info: Glatt
Hashgacha/Supervision: RCW - Rabbinical Council of Greater Washington - Capital K
Last Updated By: Michael Fleischhacker (mfphoto@surfglobal.net)
Last Updated On: 2/5/2006
Hours: Su-Th: 11A-9P, Fri 11-3P

amother

Post Tue, Jan 16 2007, 9:46 pm
I'm planning a trip to DC in April, can anyone recommend any good tour books? I looked on half.com and don't know which books to buy. Does anyone know any good books?

elisecohen

Post Wed, Jan 17 2007, 1:37 am
We live in the DC suburbs (Rockville). You can pm me if you have specific questions about food, shuls, entertainment/sight seeing and so on.

Mirabelle

Post Wed, Jan 17 2007, 8:38 am
chocolate! I grew up there as well!
Everytime I go back there now I am amazed at how many more Kosher places there are! When I was growing up we had ONE pizza place and that was it. Going to Baltimore to eat out was always something really special...

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Jan 17 2007, 9:04 am
If you're a member of AAA, you can get some guidebooks for free from them.

Chayary

Post Wed, Jan 17 2007, 9:11 am
The restaurant in the DC JCC is excellent, in my opinion. The food is delicious, and the prices are reasonable for the quality of the food (meaning a nice sit down meal). FYI, Richmond is 2 hours from Washingtonso probably it's not a good place to stay

Also, if you end up staying in a suburb, like Rockville or SS, there is plenty of kosher food around, but be aware of the traffic. Rush hour in the DC area is brutal, so the suggestion to take the metro is excellent. It is clean and convenient, and there is parking at the stations. On the other hand, parking within DC is not usually teribbly difficult, compared to NY, let's say. We love the zoo also, especially the pandas. And it's the national zoo, so it's free, so (and this is the case with all the smithsonians) you can check them out for as little or long as you want, without any guilt that you need to get your money's worth.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Jan 17 2007, 10:11 am
I know, Shosh! If only we had back then what ppl hve now . . .I'd never have come to NY!

btMOMtoFFBs

Post Wed, Jan 17 2007, 10:36 am
Contact Congregation Kesher Israel in Georgetown, they may have a deal with a hotel close to them so hubby can catch a minyan.

The new Air and Space museum near Dulles Airport (in Virginia suburbs) is amazing. Also, Great Falls Park in Potomac, MD (in Maryland suburbs) is beautiful. You can see historic B&O canal (how freight was transported before trains were invented) and see the most amazing waterfalls - right on the Potomac River. A beautiful place to walk and picnic if you like outdoor activities.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 17 2007, 2:12 pm
Thanks for the help, I'm going to plan the trip now, before Pesach cleaning starts. Rolling Eyes Exploding anger

mtb18

Post Wed, Jan 17 2007, 2:35 pm
My husbands cousin owns a bed and breakfast in the baltimore area which is not far from washington. Its not a kosher place but my cousins are becoming frum and can get kosher food for you on request. If you are interested, please pm me.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics