Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Frum woman faces jail for planting a vegetable garden??
1  2  Next

intrigued

Post Sun, Jul 10 2011, 10:17 am

crbc

Post Sun, Jul 10 2011, 10:33 am
The woman who speaks against it (they only show legs, and her voice is changed) also appears frum. I am curious if the city noticed the garden on their own, or if someone reported it ? Smile

grin

Post Sun, Jul 10 2011, 11:04 am
yeah, it sounds like a "neighborly" feud to me. I actually don't understand why ti's so important to her that she hasn't just backed down and made it into such a principle.

[side-point: I noticed that people in LA are moving away form "standard" lawns towards a more eco-friendly look, inc. cacti - so why not veggies? they have flowers too.]

willow

Post Sun, Jul 10 2011, 11:22 am
I think it is unfair.
1- It looks wonderfully maintained and neat.
2-What an excellent way to educate the neighbor kids
3- A lot of those plants are flowering and so one could think they are not vegetables. I really don't understand unless they are doing this because they want an uniform block look. However if this is the case it looks like the houses and gardens showed are all different anyways.

Shopmiami49

Post Sun, Jul 10 2011, 11:48 am
I'm sorry, but that is the cheesiest way I have ever heard someone define the word "suitable".

I would understand "suitable for planting" to mean that the soil is good for planting, there is room for the plants to grow, and to appease the city, that it doesn't get in the way of the sidewalk and/or others' property. But to say that it's not suitable because it's not the same as everyone else? That's absolutely ridiculous IMHO.

faigie

Post Sun, Jul 10 2011, 11:49 am
there is a petition that they have up to sign. I was sent a copy on fb.

YALT

Post Sun, Jul 10 2011, 12:05 pm
http://apps.facebook.com/petit.....gies/

auntie_em

Post Sun, Jul 10 2011, 12:46 pm
I do think it looks kind of barren, judging from the video. I don't know much about gardening or landscaping, but could she plant grass around the boxes? I think that would look much nicer.

Seraph

Post Sun, Jul 10 2011, 1:17 pm
I think its totally cuckoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YALT

Post Sun, Jul 10 2011, 1:22 pm
actually, the reason something had to be done with her front lawn, is because the city dug it all up because they decided to change some pipes. They shouolod have replanted grass, but they left it to her expenses. She decided to atleast make the expense something which will save her a bit of money in the long run.

grin

Post Sun, Jul 10 2011, 1:25 pm
YALT wrote:
actually, the reason something had to be done with her front lawn, is because the city dug it all up because they decided to change some pipes. They shouolod have replanted grass, but they left it to her expenses. She decided to atleast make the expense something which will save her a bit of money in the long run.
ahh - I knew there had to be more to the story - now I understand her position better.

crbc

Post Sun, Jul 10 2011, 1:55 pm
Of course someone reported her! Amazing!

LINK

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Jul 10 2011, 2:04 pm
I dont understand something. I dont think shes doing anything wrong, but obviously someone does and she was told so. why did she not just move it to the back? her kids, as well as all of the neighborhood kids, can see it and watch it and all that. once it got serious, she should have done something about it, not just ignored it because they didnt think they were doing anything wrong.....

faigie

Post Sun, Jul 10 2011, 2:23 pm
she didnt dig it up on principle. brave lady....... and its up to all of us to sign that petition and back her up

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Jul 10 2011, 2:41 pm
Incredible. We've grown veggies in the front yard for years, because our back yard is too shady. Good thing we don't live in Oak Park.

YALT

Post Sun, Jul 10 2011, 5:36 pm
akivachaya wrote:
I dont understand something. I dont think shes doing anything wrong, but obviously someone does and she was told so. why did she not just move it to the back? her kids, as well as all of the neighborhood kids, can see it and watch it and all that. once it got serious, she should have done something about it, not just ignored it because they didnt think they were doing anything wrong.....

because her whole reason for planting something was to fix up the yard which THEY messed up. They didn't mess up the back.
Trust me. they would've complained that her yard was unkempt if she left it the way the city left it for her.

tzipp

Post Sun, Jul 10 2011, 6:26 pm
Funny I came across this today:

"The Case Against the the American Front Lawn"
http://www.apartmenttherapy.co.....50531

mummiedearest

Post Sun, Jul 10 2011, 6:45 pm
akivachaya wrote:

do you know how much time/work/money it takes to move something like that? she'd have to dig up all her plants, transport the extra heavy soil, take apart the garden boxes, level the soil, and relandscape. her garden looks neat and orderly, and if she paid to have that done, that's a lot of money down the drain.

I have tomatoes growing in front of my house, and unfortunately I can't seem to keep the rest of the lawn area looking nice. I wish my front yard looked like that...

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Jul 10 2011, 9:24 pm
crbc wrote:
Of course someone reported her! Amazing!

LINK

Omgoodness. I didn't know about this thread till I saw it on the immediate reactions thread.
A few points:
Many Oak Parkers have had to have their pipes replaced. The original pipes were clay, the roots of the oaks and trees that give the city its name get into the cracked pipes and that's the way it goes. That so many people find they have to do it after the city redoes some work has given many pause but very few people have been able to prove that the city's to blame. Even I have to say that I don't know how likely it is for everyone. I don't know about this family in particular.

And throwing in "heavily democratic" seems irrelevant and ad hominem.

Now to finish the thread.

grin

Post Mon, Jul 11 2011, 7:14 am
what do you think about this:

Turf Grass Madness:
Reasons to Reduce the Lawn in Your Landscape
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics