Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Games
You do WHAT?!
1  2  3  4  Next

mirisimma

Post Tue, Oct 17 2006, 7:37 am
what cool intreresting (ok wierd) minhagim does your family have? have you traveled anywhere and seen interesting phenomenon?

heres one
we whack eachothoer on pesach with scallions as we sing dayeinu

chen

Post Tue, Oct 17 2006, 8:06 am
are you sefaradi? I have heard of this as a sefaradi custom.

de_goldy

Post Tue, Oct 17 2006, 9:24 am
lol. We dont even use scallions of pesach! Sounds funny though.

mirisimma

Post Tue, Oct 17 2006, 9:33 am
hello? can we please cease this discouraging behavior, if you "lol" at me nobody else will post their interesting minhagim Smile

ok heres another one, in europe, theres a kehilla that doesnt say amen, they say "amen-a"

also, at the pesach table, russians have the tradition to have an egg competition: two people push their eggs aginst eachother and the winner's egg doesnt break, they have a tournament till theres one egg left.

YOUR turn

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Oct 17 2006, 9:46 am
Is this to keep the kids occupied, or does it stem from halachah?

mirisimma

Post Tue, Oct 17 2006, 5:32 pm
I dunno

Ruchel

Post Tue, Oct 17 2006, 6:14 pm
My father doesn't say amen, he says oo-mine. (Polish chassidic)

My cousin always yells, because her husband doesn't give the bits of challa to the people on shabbes, but throw them at the people! He says it's his minhag, and their sons also do that in their house! I was quite surprised the first time my cousin threw challa at me (Persian) LOL

My grandmother cooks bemuelos for Pessach, we eat them with sugar water. Mmmmmm (Spanish)

Some people take their wife & daughters under the tallit during Yom Kippur, at the moment of the shofar. It created problems at shul last year, since it happens in the men section, and this year they were "asked" (forced) to do this outside of the room (in the hall). (Algeria)

Secbeb

Post Tue, Oct 17 2006, 6:19 pm
Quote:
My cousin always yells, because her husband doesn't give the bits of challa to the people on shabbes, but throw them at the people! He says it's his minhag, and their sons also do that in their house! I was quite surprised the first time my cousin threw challa at me (Persian)

I have heard of this. I was told its because handing bread to someone is a sign of mourning so its tossed or put on a plate instead.

mirisimma

Post Tue, Oct 17 2006, 7:13 pm
my family also does the challa tossing and the under the talis. my husbands family does the under the talis thing too

another one: iraqis have a huge hakafos party motzei simchas torah.

persians cover the table and food with tabke cloth when they list the makos at pesach

lybians dont let women in niddah in same room as sefer torah

persians stiil wont share dishes or clothes or chairs with women in niddah

I wasd told to put a knife under my pillow the night before my wedding, is that normal?

mirisimma

Post Tue, Oct 17 2006, 7:14 pm
yekkis do the wimple. do you know what the whimple is? ask me!

Ruchel

Post Tue, Oct 17 2006, 7:27 pm
Mirisimma, which country is your family from? Algeria?

Flowerchild

Post Tue, Oct 17 2006, 7:33 pm
my hubby syrian, during pesach, when we count the ten makos, only the men do it and women just listen and its done by pouring a bit of wine for each one in a samll bowl and after that it has to be spilled out before continuing. also during pesach the keara( im sure I spelled it wrong) is passed over each persons head and you say something like a blessing.

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Oct 17 2006, 8:50 pm
this is not a custom but every single dingle year during the seder when everyone bites into the matzah at thee same time at motzi matzah, resulting in a megaloud CCRUUNNCHH, all the women burst out laughing and some of us have to leave the room because we cant control ourselves.

my bobby has a 'thiing' that if you sneeze when someone is talking about a dead person, you have to pull your left ear.

bluesclues

Post Tue, Oct 17 2006, 8:56 pm
my bobby has a 'thiing' that if you sneeze when someone is talking about a dead person, you have to pull your left ear.[quote]

we pull our ear and lick a finger too

Last edited by bluesclues on Tue, Oct 17 2006, 10:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Oct 17 2006, 9:12 pm
The knife thing is al pi kabbalah, every lady is supposed to do that if they've toiveled and they can't have relations or their husband isn't home. They could also sleep wearing a garment of his.

The bread thing - is to show that it comes from HaShem, not man.

Ozmom

Post Tue, Oct 17 2006, 9:53 pm
my husband doesn't toss, but he won't hand it to anyone. He puts it down for the person to pick up. I think its something with handing bread, being like handing bread to a poor person

I have a feeling the tossing thing evolved from not handing the person the bread but is not the minhag itself. I could be wrong though but the reason I think so is because you are not allowed to throw bread. I think tossing is just a way that some men pass things they can't hand you. Its easier then walking over to your place or reaching out and putting it down respectfully.
somewhere along the way some people must have confused the tossing with not handing the bread so tossing became the minhag.

You have to treat bread and challah with respect. You aren't allowed to throw it out and if you have to (putting it outside for the birds attracts possums here and other unwanted creatures) then you need to wrap it up not to shame the bread.
also once when I did put it out for the birds my husband told me not to toss it at the ground but to place it. (and to break it into small pieces and not put out huge chunks

Tefila

Post Tue, Oct 17 2006, 10:08 pm
Quote:
You have to treat bread and challah with respect. You aren't allowed to throw it out and if you have to (putting it outside for the birds attracts possums here and other unwanted creatures) then you need to wrap it up not to shame the bread.
also once when I did put it out for the birds my husband told me not to toss it at the ground but to place it. (and to break it into small pieces and not put out huge chunks

Yep learned that too Smile

melalyse

Post Tue, Oct 17 2006, 10:49 pm
My husband also won't pass bread. I thought that he was crazy when we first got married because I never heard this before. He says that it is a sign of availus. He puts it on my plate.

Purple Hug Bunny

Post Tue, Oct 17 2006, 10:55 pm
Mindy wrote:
this is not a custom but every single dingle year during the seder when everyone bites into the matzah at thee same time at motzi matzah, resulting in a megaloud CCRUUNNCHH, all the women burst out laughing and some of us have to leave the room because we cant control ourselves.

my bobby has a 'thiing' that if you sneeze when someone is talking about a dead person, you have to pull your left ear.

Mindy.... I had such a good laugh.. Our family does it too, but not by Motzi Matza..
we laugh a few times during the seder..

[list=] when we start making kiddush, e/one looks at each other and we just start laughing.

We start laughing hysterically by Koreich, bec. by maror, we have to shake off the charoses but by koreich we can take a lot and e/one loves it, so it takes us ten mins to prepare those koreich sandwiches with more charoses then matza or maror, and when we bite into it, and start eating fast.. it starts dripping from e/ones mouth.. and then we laugh... boy do we laugh.. even my father cant hold himself back.. and through fits of laughter he says.. Nu..... enough... it's hysterical...[/list]

Last edited by Purple Hug Bunny on Tue, Oct 17 2006, 11:02 pm; edited 2 times in total

Purple Hug Bunny

Post Tue, Oct 17 2006, 10:59 pm
Ruchel, all the chaseedish ppl say oomine...

One thing that I thought was pretty intresting, was my mom told us that girls above Bas Mitzvah age don't kiss the mezuzah.. it was very interesting but she never told us the reason why..

She said we also can't be home when a boy gets his first haircut at 3.
also that we can't touch a torah...
when we got married she told us it's bec. of Niddah..

so when we're in niddah, we can't do any of the above..

the one thing I was always mad about was not being able to be home when my brothers got their haircuts... I always thought that it wasnt fair that the sister cannot be there.. we would go to an aunt till evening..

Until now I still am not used to kissing the mezuzah, most of the times I forget.. bec. I was not used to doing it as a girl.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics