Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Games
You do WHAT?!
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother

Post Thu, Oct 19 2006, 4:09 pm
mirisimma wrote:
seven that soooo interesting. I dont get the hair cut thing though

also learned not to throw out bread till its spoiled, so I have a bread waiting to be spoiled bag on my fridge. (when I got older found out it wasnt a minhag but actuallt halacha, not to throw out bread of any size)

then my firedn told me her mom taught her to kiss bread if she had to rhow it out

Confused What do you do with old bread?

Bebe

Post Thu, Oct 19 2006, 6:36 pm
My grandmother cooks bemuelos for Pessach, we eat them with sugar water. Mmmmmm (Spanish) (quote)
Ruchel, thats so funny cuz my inlaws also eat bemuelos and I never heard of it til I got married and they dip them into sugar. Supposed to be yum but I dont like them!

My father doesnt throw the challah but he puts it down and then someone passes it on. He doesnt hand it to anyone. He also puts water into the becher and into the bottle of grape juice or wine before kiddush. Im still not sure why.

mirisimma

Post Thu, Oct 19 2006, 6:53 pm
to amother: I keep bread in a bag till it spoils, then toss it, bc I was told its ok to toss it when spoiled bc not rauy leachila. also, you should know this ISNT minhag is in shulchan aruch!

I heard women in sqvr dont leave house for 30 after giving birth bc sakana. lema'ase I heard they basically move into a "recovery home" sounds like a nice little vacation to me Smile I think I'll take on that minhag...

is it true that some chssidim hold hands in public at their chasuna?

our family eats in the house on shmini atzeres night, then makes kiddush in succa shmini atzeres day but eats meal in house.

I sweep the house after chatzos on tisha be'av to signify the upcoming geula (upcoming SOON!!!) Cheers

amother

Post Thu, Oct 19 2006, 7:23 pm
Yes, chasidishe choson and kallah hold hands when walking to the yichud room after the chuppah. They also hold hands when leaving the yichud room to go in to dance in the hall. At the end of the mitzva tanz they also dance together holding hands, they are not really dancing, just moving a few steps back and forth while the choson says eishes chayil.

MOM222

Post Thu, Oct 19 2006, 7:31 pm
When the chosson (at his shabbos sheva brochos) makes havdalah, all the men throw napkins on his head.

leomom

Post Thu, Oct 19 2006, 8:57 pm
Quote:
Quote:
there's a chassidish minhag to make fun of the chazan simchas torah at minchah.

that happens with us by Musaf.
when he takes three steps back for "Oseh Shalom Bimromav" someone steps up and flips him.

Where I used to live, they tied the chazzan's arms to his sides and then flipped him (I think during mussaf). And where I live now, they dump a bucket of water over the chazzan's head when he says "Mashiv haruach umorid hagashem." LOL

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Oct 20 2006, 8:10 am
Not all chassidische couples hold hands after the chuppah; Lub doesn’t….I see some Yekke/Litvishe couples holding hands after the chuppah, though.

Crayon, you don’t know why using a fork would be doing borer? I need to show you some English halacha seforim where this is discussed!

Ruchel

Post Mon, Oct 23 2006, 3:08 am
momoftwins wrote:
my bobie would wear a red ribbon in her clothing
and put one on the carriage

my mom put a red string on my bed when I was a baby... my great aunt did it on her grandson's stroller (she also put on an orange ribbon for Gush Katif, remember them?).

In some communities in North Africa, children weren't given a name before 5 years because so many of them died... Sad

shalhevet

Post Mon, Oct 23 2006, 3:18 am
Ruchel wrote:
In my dad's family they don't cut the hair of little boys until 3 (less and less ppl are following this nowadays, at least in France).

In Israel more and more people are doing it, in fact almost everyone who's frum of any shape or size.

My husband also told me (halacha) not to throw out bread. I keep it in a bag on the counter until it gets very hard or worse ( Puke ). My "holiday" is from Purim when it's allowed to throw out straight away because of biur chametz. BTW, it's a segula for parnassa apart from being halacha.

Crayon210

Post Mon, Oct 23 2006, 7:20 am
SaraG wrote:
Crayon, you don’t know why using a fork would be doing borer? I need to show you some English halacha seforim where this is discussed!

Please, enlighten me. I use a fork every week and it never occurred to me that it could be borer.

Coke Slurpee

Post Mon, Oct 23 2006, 7:56 am
Maybe she means, real fish - with Gefilta fish, how can there be borer?

but then wouldn't you have the same prob. with chix.?

chen

Post Mon, Oct 23 2006, 8:44 am
Sonniboni wrote:
Maybe she means, real fish - with Gefilta fish, how can there be borer?

but then wouldn't you have the same prob. with chix.?

Not so much b/c chicken bones are big and you can eat the chicken off the bone. You could try to pick out the smaller bones like the ribs but it usually works better to pull the flesh off the bone, unlike fish, which have very slender bones that really do have to be pulled out of the flesh.

mirisimma

Post Mon, Oct 23 2006, 10:31 am
dear crayon and all those concerened:
borer usually is defined as removing something bad from soemthing good. or even just selecting one item from a variety. while there are instances where sucha selection is permissible for immidiate use, using a tool to do so is most definitely not.

there are those who do not eat fish at all because it will result in removing bones from fish (bad from good). Some will indulge in fish and only remove the bone after the bite is in ones mouth. apprently there are those that are so carefull nto to accidentally seperate bone from fish with a tool, that they simply "dig in" with their fingers. (eww.)

sincerely,
mother of miri

keeping in theme of this game: ashkenazim eat gefilta fish because of borer BUT

sefardim eat whole fish because sefardi poskim say that removing bones is derech achila, as is remving pits from grapes and seeds form watermelons.

Crayon210

Post Mon, Oct 23 2006, 11:32 am
That's very interesting. However, I have eaten fish on Shabbos with a fork without violating any prohibitions. Where did this come from?

ceo

Post Mon, Oct 23 2006, 11:39 am
okay, I have one....

we do not drink water directly after fish. If I have a bite of fish and I want a drink, I have two options:

1)take a bite of another food (bread, veggies) and then have water
OR

2) have a different type of drink

It's brought down from R' Akiva Eiger.....but I never met anyone else who does this!!!

Younger Me

Post Mon, Oct 23 2006, 11:40 am
Quote:
He also puts water into the becher and into the bottle of grape juice or wine before kiddush. Im still not sure why.

My father puts 3 drops of water in the becher before kiddush. I think it's a kabbalistic thing. the water represents Midat Harachamim and I think wine is Gevura, something like that, I'd have to ask him.

downsyndrome

Post Mon, Oct 23 2006, 11:42 am
ceo wrote:
okay, I have one....

we do not drink water directly after fish. If I have a bite of fish and I want a drink, I have two options:

1)take a bite of another food (bread, veggies) and then have water
OR

2) have a different type of drink

It's brought down from R' Akiva Eiger.....but I never met anyone else who does this!!!

WE do!! particularly at the Shabbos/Yom Tov meals. We either drink grape juice right after the fish or eat a bite of challah.

Anybody heard of people who sew a clove of garlic into the hemline of clothing of people/children who are looking particularly beautiful, I.e. at a close chassanah, against ayin hora?

mirisimma

Post Mon, Oct 23 2006, 12:31 pm
lightiing shabbos candels, theres a ballgame! our family minhag is to light two no matter family size. can add one for zecher of or lizchus someone. and add one if missed a shabbos. and unmarried girls light one too.

Purple Hug Bunny

Post Mon, Oct 23 2006, 1:20 pm
That is interesting about the fish.. I don't think it's because of Borer bec. only the men do it by us..
I think it's a chasseedish thing.. meaning to say a chasid would do it.. not only satmar chaseedish ppl.
any chasid..

the women don't eat with their hands by us.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Oct 23 2006, 1:26 pm
If my memory serves me correctly, Mindy's MIL does.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics