Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Girl name ideas- please read
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother

Post Sun, Jul 17 2011, 2:00 pm
amother wrote:
imaima wrote:

Now you should persuade OP, because she obviously thinks that if she names after Miriam, everyone will think she named her child after a great sinner. Not only that, but she also expects other people to come up to her child and ask her obnoxious questions, like "Why are you XYZ?". So she wants her child to be prepared early on. I guess, if there was Yaffa Frumit in Tanach, that would be a good choice.

OP does not want to name "Miriam" because it is a very common name not because Miriam had tzaras. Frankly if we could all limit our sins to one bout of lashon hara that we do full teshuvah for and merit the entire nation of klal yisrael waiting for us and praying we would be lucky. However as someone who is named "Miriam" I can tell you it was not fun being one of four Miriam-Miri's in my class of only about 50 girls. I can totally see why if OP has nobody to name for she wants to avoid giving a name that is very common in her area. There is nothing wrong with that and I am not insulted she nixed my name. I was named after an aunt and am proud of this, but if it was a random name choice I would be annoyed at my parents for naming the same name as so many other girls.
Thank you for getting that. I don't think Miriam was a bad person in any way. In fact, she is one of only 7 nevios written about in tanach, that means she was on a very high level, a level none of us can reach today. Chas vishalom that I would denigrate the person that Miriam was.
Aside for the name being very common, its also the fact that Miriam means bitterness. And I really believe that the meaning of a name has an affect on the person's life, and I've read and heard that people with the name Miriam have a lot of hardship (merirut) in their life, and that is the reason I wouldn't want to give it.
Not because Miriam hanevia wasn't amazing. She absolutely was.
So was Chulda. But I also won't give a name that means rat, no matter what a tzadekes she was.

goodmorning

Post Sun, Jul 17 2011, 2:00 pm
amother wrote:
Of those, I don't think any of them are options other than Chagit, which is a great idea! I had no idea it was a tanachi name and a wife of dovid hamelech!

Shmuel II 3:4

Of course, her son Adoniah was the one who rebelled against Shlomo HaMelech (First perakim of Melachim I). I'm not sure what that says about her, if anything.
And I realized too late that Maacha was a really bad suggestion - she was the isha yifas toar that gave birth to Avshalom...

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, Jul 17 2011, 2:05 pm
OP, I have no problem with your criteria.

I do want to point out that you seem to have a very elementary understanding of who these people in Tanach really were. There is a lot more than the three things written in the pasuk about them, and most are in fact many times holier and greater than anyone you would choose to name after today (assuming you did have someone). Anyone who hears the name Penina and has negative associations based on the pasuk does not have an appreciation of who Penina actually was.

If there is a name from Tanach that you like, maybe run it by your rav and find out what is written in the mefarshim on that person. That might widen your pool.

amother

Post Sun, Jul 17 2011, 2:06 pm
goodmorning wrote:
amother wrote:
Of those, I don't think any of them are options other than Chagit, which is a great idea! I had no idea it was a tanachi name and a wife of dovid hamelech!

Shmuel II 3:4

Of course, her son Adoniah was the one who rebelled against Shlomo HaMelech (First perakim of Melachim I). I'm not sure what that says about her, if anything.
And I realized too late that Maacha was a really bad suggestion - she was the isha yifas toar that gave birth to Avshalom...
I was gonna say, at least Chagit didn't give birth to Avshalom. I didn't even remember about Adoniyahu until I looked up Chagit on the internet.
That's not a negative connotation in my opinion, having given birth to him. How your child turns out doesn't and shouldn't reflect on someone as a person. Otherwise rivka would be a bad connotation because she gave birth to esav.

The more I read about the name Chagit, the more I'm liking it.

amother

Post Sun, Jul 17 2011, 2:09 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
OP, I have no problem with your criteria.

I do want to point out that you seem to have a very elementary understanding of who these people in Tanach really were. There is a lot more than the three things written in the pasuk about them, and most are in fact many times holier and greater than anyone you would choose to name after today (assuming you did have someone). Anyone who hears the name Penina and has negative associations based on the pasuk does not have an appreciation of who Penina actually was.

If there is a name from Tanach that you like, maybe run it by your rav and find out what is written in the mefarshim on that person. That might widen your pool.
What I said about Penina isn't written at all in tanach, just in the meforshim. What about the name am I missing? Were there more things written about her that I don't know about?
I never said she was a rasha. She mocked chana only with the best of intentions, but still Hashem thought it was bad enough to kill all her children for it...

Mommy3.5

Post Sun, Jul 17 2011, 2:25 pm
JAWSCIENCE wrote:
Mommy3.5 wrote:

I have the solution. Don't have girls. Ever. your criteria is nuts.

Wow, was that really necessary? People have all sorts of criteria. OP is entitled to hers. Without criteria how would anyone ever narrow it down? If she has no one to name after she's got to start somewhere. Should she just put every name on the planet in a hat and pick one out? Telling her not to have girls is not helpful and a little mean.

OP has knocked down nearly Every Suggestion. The criteria is such that almost no one can come up with a name that will make her happy. since there are so many boys names she likes, then having a boy seems the best option. no one is telling her to pick a name out of the hat, or that she doesn't have a right to her choice, just that she is being insulting to many people who have offered suggestions. I don't consider it "mean" to say not to have girls, many people do not have girls(and some people don't have boys).

I don't think anyone mentioned Bruriah.

amother

Post Sun, Jul 17 2011, 2:31 pm
Mommy3.5 wrote:
JAWSCIENCE wrote:
Mommy3.5 wrote:

Wow, was that really necessary? People have all sorts of criteria. OP is entitled to hers. Without criteria how would anyone ever narrow it down? If she has no one to name after she's got to start somewhere. Should she just put every name on the planet in a hat and pick one out? Telling her not to have girls is not helpful and a little mean.

OP has knocked down Every. Single. Suggestion. The criteria is such that almost no one can come up with a name that will make her happy. since there are so many boys names she likes, then having a boy seems the best option. no one is telling her to pick a name out of the hat, or that she doesn't have a right to her choice, just that she is being insulting to many people who have offered suggestions. I don't consider it "mean" to say not to have girls, many people do not have girls(and some people don't have boys).

It looks like you're skimming posts, because I've definitely gotten suggestions of a few names from this thread.
Yael.
Shlomit.
Chagit.
Chava.

And some more, but I'd have to reread the thread to take another look.
And Bruria was in the first post as a non option.
Most of the suggestions I've nixed were names that I specifically nixed in the first post, or werent tanachi or even hebrew. Which shows people were just saying names without actually responding to what I was asking, so obviously they're not going to work. Its like you asking for hebrew name suggestions for your son, and I tell you Shraga, Feivish, Berel, etc... They may be nice names, but not what the person was asking.

shalhevet

Post Sun, Jul 17 2011, 2:40 pm
Mommy3.5 wrote:
JAWSCIENCE wrote:
Mommy3.5 wrote:

OP has knocked down nearly Every Suggestion. The criteria is such that almost no one can come up with a name that will make her happy. since there are so many boys names she likes, then having a boy seems the best option. no one is telling her to pick a name out of the hat, or that she doesn't have a right to her choice, just that she is being insulting to many people who have offered suggestions. I don't consider it "mean" to say not to have girls, many people do not have girls(and some people don't have boys).

She knocked them down because they don't suit her. She only needs one (or two if she likes). Your posts are really nasty, because they might have been appropriate if OP had started a thread telling everyone here not to call their daughters all these names. Or criticizing those who had. But she didn't - she was just looking for ideas which suit her.

She wasn't rude to anyone who offered suggestions. She just pointed out to some people that she had already said suggestion a or b wasn't appropriate in her OP.

I think it is very mean to wish someone who hopes to have more children to have only one gender. Of course some people have five or seven or ten children of the same gender and that is what Hashem sent them and they love their children dearly. But a man needs both to fulfil pru u'revu, and most parents, if they had the choice before having some or all of their children (even if they love their 17 sons to bits in the end) would choose at least one of each gender, probably two.

JAWSCIENCE

Post Sun, Jul 17 2011, 2:49 pm
Mommy3.5 wrote:
JAWSCIENCE wrote:
Mommy3.5 wrote:

Sure there are people who have all boys or all girls. And they are all blessed and there is nothing wrong with having all one or the other. But that has nothing to do with what you said. You told someone who is pregnant that she should not have a girl. How in the world do you want her to implement this piece of advice? Should she give it up for adoption if it's a girl? It is really inappropriate to tell anyone who is pregnant that they ought to have one gender baby or another. Hashem is the only decider of that factor. Imagine if you were pregnant and someone walked up to you and said "I hope that's a boy in there. You won't know what to do with a girl. You should only have boys, a girl is only tzaros for you". Every baby is a blessing from Hashem no matter its gender.

Mommy3.5

Post Sun, Jul 17 2011, 3:08 pm
shalhevet wrote:
Mommy3.5 wrote:
JAWSCIENCE wrote:
Mommy3.5 wrote:

She knocked them down because they don't suit her. She only needs one (or two if she likes). Your posts are really nasty, because they might have been appropriate if OP had started a thread telling everyone here not to call their daughters all these names. Or criticizing those who had. But she didn't - she was just looking for ideas which suit her.

She wasn't rude to anyone who offered suggestions. She just pointed out to some people that she had already said suggestion a or b wasn't appropriate in her OP.

I think it is very mean to wish someone who hopes to have more children to have only one gender. Of course some people have five or seven or ten children of the same gender and that is what Hashem sent them and they love their children dearly. But a man needs both to fulfil pru u'revu, and most parents, if they had the choice before having some or all of their children (even if they love their 17 sons to bits in the end) would choose at least one of each gender, probably two.

I think a lot of ladies here who have 4+ of the same gender, find it ridiculous to say that. (Myself included.) There is more then one way to fulfill pru I revu, its ridiculous to say that everyone with only boys must want a daughter or the opposite.

Seraph

Post Sun, Jul 17 2011, 3:15 pm
Even so, what do you think you're gaining by telling a pregnant woman "Make sure to only have boys"? Uhm, isn't that up to Hashem?

Mommy3.5

Post Sun, Jul 17 2011, 3:29 pm
shock

You people really take things a bit oddly, nobody seems to get the sarcasm there. Its beyond ridiculous how much of a sense of humor is collectively lacking. Rolling Eyes

Girls names are too hard to come by=make boys. not questioning hashem or telling her not to have girls just saying if its a major issue to come up with names, that would be a solution.

I cannot tell you how many people have seen my newborn and told me that next time I should have the other Gender, I never took as you people do. Scratching Head

ElTam

Post Sun, Jul 17 2011, 3:36 pm
No advice, just just remembering how much HK"BH helped us find the right names. My bracha for you is that b'sha'ah tovah, you/Dh should have ruach hakodesh and pick the name that is right for your child.

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, Jul 17 2011, 3:45 pm
Honestly, OP is being pretty rude in her responses too. In fact, I'm 95% sure I know who OP is, based on the way she is writing and responding. People can stand to be a little nicer.

Liebs

Post Sun, Jul 17 2011, 3:54 pm
Ayelet, Ahuva, Atara, Avigail, Aviva....
I didnt go thru all posts, I just started with A-most names will find in tanach tehillim/megilla ex. ayelet =laminatzeach layelet hashachar...

hadasa

Post Sun, Jul 17 2011, 4:15 pm
amother wrote:
amother wrote:
imaima wrote:

Now you should persuade OP, because she obviously thinks that if she names after Miriam, everyone will think she named her child after a great sinner. Not only that, but she also expects other people to come up to her child and ask her obnoxious questions, like "Why are you XYZ?". So she wants her child to be prepared early on. I guess, if there was Yaffa Frumit in Tanach, that would be a good choice.

OP does not want to name "Miriam" because it is a very common name not because Miriam had tzaras. Frankly if we could all limit our sins to one bout of lashon hara that we do full teshuvah for and merit the entire nation of klal yisrael waiting for us and praying we would be lucky. However as someone who is named "Miriam" I can tell you it was not fun being one of four Miriam-Miri's in my class of only about 50 girls. I can totally see why if OP has nobody to name for she wants to avoid giving a name that is very common in her area. There is nothing wrong with that and I am not insulted she nixed my name. I was named after an aunt and am proud of this, but if it was a random name choice I would be annoyed at my parents for naming the same name as so many other girls.
Thank you for getting that. I don't think Miriam was a bad person in any way. In fact, she is one of only 7 nevios written about in tanach, that means she was on a very high level, a level none of us can reach today. Chas vishalom that I would denigrate the person that Miriam was.
Aside for the name being very common, its also the fact that Miriam means bitterness. And I really believe that the meaning of a name has an affect on the person's life, and I've read and heard that people with the name Miriam have a lot of hardship (merirut) in their life, and that is the reason I wouldn't want to give it.
Not because Miriam hanevia wasn't amazing. She absolutely was.
So was Chulda. But I also won't give a name that means rat, no matter what a tzadekes she was.
Just FTR, the Lubavitcher Rebbe said that the name Miriam symbolizes her ability to turn bitter into sweet.

I don't think OP was being mean or rude. She was just explaining why she doesn't want certain names, and some posters seem to have taken it personally.

finallyamommy

Post Sun, Jul 17 2011, 6:21 pm
Ugh, just lost my whole post. Well, I didn't actually read all of the responses, but here are some ideas:

Yocheved: Moshe Rabbeinu's mother. Means "Hashem's honor" or some such.
Tirtza, Milca: daughters of Tzlofchad, meanings along the lines of "desire" and "queen"
Naama: Noach's wife, similar to Na'ami so maybe you won't use based on that?

As far as I know, these names are all accepted, but not sooo common, within yeshivish circles.

Hope that helps.

Izzy

Post Sun, Jul 17 2011, 8:33 pm
Yael . . . .

mazaltov

Post Sun, Jul 17 2011, 9:51 pm
Daniella
Basha
Naomi

2busy

Post Sun, Jul 17 2011, 9:59 pm
Leiba - Libby
bashi
Matti
Gittel - gitty
henny henya
reva
sassy
perela raizy
hiidy\
goldie
simi
etty
any of these fit ur needs
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names