Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Girl name ideas- please read
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

iyar

Post Fri, Feb 23 2018, 9:48 am
etky wrote:
Just for the benefit of anyone who is reading the thread in search of a biblical girl's name- here are a few less common ones that I don't think were mentioned yet in the thread (though I didn't read it that thoroughly):
Chamutal - the wife of the (good) King Yoshiyahu
Tzruyah - sister of David and mother of Yoav (and Avishay and Asael)
Yehoshava - daughter of king Yoram and wife of the Cohen Yehoyada, she hid and saved baby Yoash (later a good king) from Atalya
Reuma - pilegesh of Nachor
I don't think that Hadassa was mentioned yet but I could be wrong...

I love the name Hadassah but I never heard of anyone giving any of the other names you mentioned.
If the nursery class of 2022 is full of Tzruyah's and Chamutal's we'll all have to thank Etky!
It was interesting you mentioned Atalya, who was a wicked person. I know people give the name Talya but I can't find any source for it besides the evil queen Atalya. I've also heard the name Bosmat and she was the wife of Esav!
Of course in Israel it's not uncommon to hear of parents naming a baby boy Nimrod. Kind of makes me wonder... I've always heard, as I'm sure many of you have, that the baby's mother is given a special sense of what to name the baby.

etky

Post Sat, Feb 24 2018, 12:46 pm
iyar wrote:
I love the name Hadassah but I never heard of anyone giving any of the other names you mentioned.
If the nursery class of 2022 is full of Tzruyah's and Chamutal's we'll all have to thank Etky!
It was interesting you mentioned Atalya, who was a wicked person. I know people give the name Talya but I can't find any source for it besides the evil queen Atalya. I've also heard the name Bosmat and she was the wife of Esav!
Of course in Israel it's not uncommon to hear of parents naming a baby boy Nimrod. Kind of makes me wonder... I've always heard, as I'm sure many of you have, that the baby's mother is given a special sense of what to name the baby.

Chamutal is not that uncommon. I had a Chamutal in my HS class (in Israel), albeit many years ago, but I have encountered others with the name since then.
Tzruyah is more uncommon but not unheard of. One of my favorite authors is Tzruyah Shalev (you can read her in English too btw).
Reuma is also rare but not unheard of. Most famously, President Ezer Weizman's wife was Reuma.
I admit I have never met or heard of anyone named Yehosheva and I think that is pretty sad, given that she was a real heroine who seems to have been forgotten.
I don't think there is any connection betweeh Talya and Atalya. The people I know who have given the name say it is a combination of Tal (dew) and shem hashem.
What I really don't get is people who give the name Atalya. Don't they research a name before they give it to their child??
BTW Bosmat is also a flower (Impatiens); it was popular along with other botanical names like Smadar, Nurit, Sigalit etc.

rowo

Post Sat, Feb 24 2018, 10:01 pm
hadasa wrote:
Queen Shlomit Alexandra, aka Shlomtziyon Hamalka, was a queen of the Chashmonean dynasty. She was the sister of Rabi Shimon ben Shetach and a great woman.

Alexandra is also a beautiful name Smile

rowo

Post Sat, Feb 24 2018, 10:05 pm
Lol
Just realised it's a 7 yr old thread...

salt

Post Mon, Feb 26 2018, 6:26 am
I know this is an old thread, but just had to say
Atalya - the wicked queen is spelt עתליה

No connection at all with the nice modern name (if you like modern Israeli names)
טליה
-dew from G-d
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names