Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
From crib to bed: How to keep them in the bed?

amother

Post Thu, Jul 21 2011, 9:09 am
when you transfer from a crib (where the child stays in) to a bed, how can you prevent or deal with the child who will keep coming out of bed because they can?

in your experience, did your child stay in the bed or keep coming out?

Aribenj

Post Thu, Jul 21 2011, 6:45 pm
I am going through this for the 3rd time and I can't wait to hear the answers...

For my kids it depended... Some of them were too intimidated to get out of bed and walk across their dark room on their own, but some of them I would have to lie down with them until they fell asleep to prevent them from getting out of bed...

And sometimes I just had to keep putting them back in bed until they fell asleep...

Rodent

Post Thu, Jul 21 2011, 8:40 pm
I put a door gate up for my 1st, he often fell asleep next to it and we'd transfer him. Our second we didn't do that as I didn't want it being a regular thing but it was hell for MONTHS. Let's just say that the door gate is back with our 3rd. Day naps and about 20% of nights he falls asleep by it and we transfer, the other nights he stays in bed.

gryp

Post Fri, Jul 22 2011, 5:46 am
I don't take the crib away for a while, and every night in the beginning I ask them if they want to sleep in their new bed or in the crib. Usually they choose the bed. When they come down from bed, I put them in the crib. After a week or so of this, they learn.

I need to do this now also, for some reason I keep forgetting to buy a mattress for the bottom bunk of our new bunkbed.

amother

Post Fri, Jul 22 2011, 8:35 am
gryp wrote:
I don't take the crib away for a while, and every night in the beginning I ask them if they want to sleep in their new bed or in the crib. Usually they choose the bed. When they come down from bed, I put them in the crib. After a week or so of this, they learn.

That's a good idea. I may try that. kind of like it's a privilege to sleep in a bed and if you want that privilege you need to stay in the bed. otherwise its back to the crib.

sarahd

Post Sat, Jul 23 2011, 3:47 pm
Well, my son can climb out of the crib too. I never had this with my other kids: he's like a rubber ball - put him in bed and he bounces right out. It can take two hours of putting him back in bed till he falls asleep and my other kids go crazy from it. I am tearing my hair out. I need some good ideas - maybe a gate would do it.

saw50st8

Post Sat, Jul 23 2011, 8:20 pm
We use a gate and the "return to crib" tactic.

Your other option is a crib tent, but I'm not a huge fan of those.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics