Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
What do you do with the Challah when you "take challah&

cheerios

Post Fri, Oct 20 2006, 12:15 am
Just wondering what everyone does with the challah when you take challah? do you burn it? how? or is there another way to do it?

su7kids

Post Fri, Oct 20 2006, 12:21 am
make a ball out of it, put it on my gas stove and burn it. Or the girls put it in foil and put it in the oven.

Once its burnt, you can throw it out.

Sparkle

Post Fri, Oct 20 2006, 12:21 am
I went to a shiur when living in E'Y with a very respected Rav who told us to double wrap the dough and throw it away - I had never heard that before but now that is what I do!

chen

Post Fri, Oct 20 2006, 8:48 am
wrap tightly in foil and throw into the oven till it's turned to charcoal, then throw out. or burn on top of the flame till charcoalized and throw out. or burn in your fireplace if you have one.

mom22, you may have misunderstood the rav--the dough has to be disposed of in such a way that it is impossible--not merely unlikely--that anyone would be able to get hold of it and eat it. (if you don't live in a town with many homeless people, you may never have seen anyone rummaging through rubbish bins, foraging for food, but it does happen. )

the dough has to be burned to carbon so it's completely inedible, which is the only way to destroy it so that nothing and no one can make use of it.

JMto2

Post Fri, Oct 20 2006, 9:19 am
I take the challah wrap it in foil put it in the freezer an every pesach it is burned with the chometz.

Buddy

Post Fri, Oct 20 2006, 9:56 am
I'm surprised that u ppl wrap it in foil. I put it in a papertowel/napkin or plastic bags & every now & then my husband takes it to mikva where someone burns challah every Friday for a few dollars. The problem w/ foil is that is takes longer to burn b/c foil is 'fire proof'. Same goes to chometz erev pesach should not be wrapped in foid b/c the chometz has to be burnt completely, & the foil might protect it.

JMto2

Post Fri, Oct 20 2006, 9:58 am
Buddy I never realized that thanks for telling me from now on I will wrap it in a paper towel. THanks again.

mom3boys

Post Fri, Oct 20 2006, 10:49 am
I also freeze it and burn erev pesach. But we use our frozen "challa" for bedikas chometz, since no crumbs and already wrapped.

chen

Post Fri, Oct 20 2006, 10:52 am
I learned that it is forbidden to store the challah to burn in the future because of the danger of mistakenly using the dough.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Oct 20 2006, 11:01 am
I went to a shiur where we dfiscussed this!

You aren't even supposed to handle it much b/c it's Kedushah!

Imhappy!

Post Fri, Oct 20 2006, 11:02 am
chen wrote:
I learned that it is forbidden to store the challah to burn in the future because of the danger of mistakenly using the dough.

never heard of that and I will check into it IYH.
I make small balls and keep it in a little bag in the freezer and burn in in the chometz (DD always comments"why do you give only a small peice to hashem?")

for those of you who do like I do. it's important to remeber to defros thte challah dough the night before (min.) you burn it so its should not be frozen and should get burned k'haluchah

Sparkle

Post Fri, Oct 20 2006, 3:04 pm
chen - I definitely understood. I repeatedly asked because I was so shocked. He said not to touch it because of the kedushah - to double wrap it - and then to throw away. You can PM me if you want the name of the Rav. If you ever lived/live in EY you'll recognize the name.

suomynona

Post Sat, Oct 21 2006, 5:38 pm
I store it and burn with the chometz. If I remember correctly, I think I was told that it's also ok to burn on the stove, and possibly to double wrap and throw out.
I was specifically told not to burn it in the oven. I think the reason was that since challah is "treif" it can make your oven treif.
Don't take my word for this. Ask your own rav.

MyKidsRQte

Post Sat, Oct 21 2006, 9:14 pm
I put it into the freezer, and then burn it Erev Peisach!

TzenaRena

Post Sun, Oct 22 2006, 9:55 am
Quote:
I was specifically told not to burn it in the oven. I think the reason was that since challah is "treif" it can make your oven treif.
Don't take my word for this. Ask your own rav.

I've heard in the name of our Rav that you CAN burn it in the oven, but you MUST make sure NOT to bake anything else in the oven AT the SAME TIME.

If I'm not mistaken it's because we aren't allowed to have hanaah from the challah. If anything would be baked with it, you wouldn't be allowed to eat it.

Usually, when I take Challah on erev Shabbos and YomTov, both of my oven's are in use, so I store it wrapped in foil in the freezer and burn during the week. I never would mistake it, I never wrap little balls of dough in foil otherwise (my frozen dough is kept in plastic freezer bags), and I also keep it in a certain designated place.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen