Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days
Food for erev tisha bav and tisha bav
Previous  1  2

mha3484

Post Sun, Aug 07 2011, 11:00 am
Before the fast we are having some fish and spinach potato cheese pie and grapes.

After the fast is fish tacos with corn and blackbeans and lots of water!

ChossidMom

Post Sun, Aug 07 2011, 2:03 pm
Shopmiami49 wrote:
ChossidMom wrote:
I'm going to make a hearty vegetable soup, I think. With barley, orange lentils and beans.

The best foods for before a fast are foods with complex carbohydrates and not alot of salt. Also, protein and fat are good, but not too much fat that may give heartburn... No matter what you eat you'll be hungry the next morning!

Also, lots and lots of watermelon the day before.

Can you post your recipe for this? I'm ok with approx amounts Smile

I sautee a couple of onions. I add chopped or grated carrots and sautee a bit.
Then I add cubed zucchini, kolrabi, celery, pumpkin, sweet potato, a few potatoes, and whatever else I have that works. Whole parsley stems that can be removed. I put in a few handfuls of rinsed barley, lentils and soaked white beans.

Salt, pepper, a dash of cumin, maybe some curcumin and more than a dash of Hawaej Temani. Yumm.

If you like it thick don't use tons of water. If you like it liquidy - do.

You can also take some of it and bled it with a hand blender - see what your kids like better.

sharonlangert

Post Sun, Aug 07 2011, 9:05 pm
Not everyone likes this but if you like sushi, try my seared tuna salad recipe. It's light, healthy, full of protein and delicious. You can add brown rice for complex carbs too! This recipe is posted on my most recent blog post...you can find it here: http://www.fashion-isha.com/20......html

But if you're not a fish person..forget it Wink

www.fashion-isha.com

Rebbecca F

Post Sun, Aug 07 2011, 9:16 pm
I did a beautiful sauteed vegetable soup cut with the alligator cutter and cheese noodle kugel I will do fresh homemade rolls and a variety of salads and then a fruit platter.

suek

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 2:33 pm
I've heard that we only eat 2 meals erev tisha b'av because we can't have more than 2 cooked foods for the last meal. Does anyone know anything about this?

tichellady

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 5:12 pm
suek wrote:
I've heard that we only eat 2 meals erev tisha b'av because we can't have more than 2 cooked foods for the last meal. Does anyone know anything about this?

The last meal is the seudah hamefsket where most people have eggs and ash. Try to leave some time before dinner and that meal so you aren't too full for the seudah hamefseket. You eat it alone on the floor.

suek

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 6:55 pm
I asked my Rabbi about this. Apparently, it is not a matter of eating only two meals, but at least 2 meals, so that the last meal contains only 2 hard eggs and a piece of bread, with butter or peanut butter allowed, but no more than that.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days