Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Cornflake Crumbs Chicken

busymom

Post Mon, Oct 23 2006, 1:27 pm
I love the chicken with cornflake crumbs that are often served at simchas, however I have so far been unsuccessful in duplicating them.
I take off the skin, put on a mixture of mayo and ketchup, and sprinkle cornflake crumbs on top of that. THEN the problem starts. If I bake it covered, the crumbs turn moist and mushy. If I bake it uncovered, they turn hard and brittle. I've tried half convered and half uncovered, but that perfect cornflake crumbs chicken still eludes me Confused !

Any tips please?

amother

Post Mon, Oct 23 2006, 1:32 pm
I use margerine not mayo and ketchup

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Oct 23 2006, 1:35 pm
I cook it covered and then uncover it. Turn up the temp on the oven towards the end if they're not crisp enough.

busymom

Post Mon, Oct 23 2006, 2:19 pm
defy, how long covered/uncovered? (wanna follow EXACT instructions, so hopefully I'll get this right. the kitchen isn't really the place where I shine Wink )

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Oct 23 2006, 2:25 pm
I'm not sure, I never check times, I just do whatever until I see that it's crispy. This week when I made chicken, I coated the chicken in mayo and mustard, added the crumbs, and baked it the entire time uncovered. For the last 10 minutes or so, I upped the temp to 450.

batya_d

Post Mon, Oct 23 2006, 4:26 pm
DefyGravity wrote:
I'm not sure, I never check times, I just do whatever until I see that it's crispy. This week when I made chicken, I coated the chicken in mayo and mustard, added the crumbs, and baked it the entire time uncovered. For the last 10 minutes or so, I upped the temp to 450.

Are we talking about chicken pieces w/bones or boneless cutlets?

faigie

Post Mon, Oct 23 2006, 6:34 pm
ok lemme think.
I put the UNskinned chicken in water, and then shake it a bit.. I do NOT pat it dry.
I roll it in the crumbs, put it into a tin with only a small amount of water in the bottm, and cook it on 325 till it smells like dinner.

shanie5

Post Mon, Oct 23 2006, 6:37 pm
go to the store, find in the freezer section "david elliot breaded chicken". buy, take home, bake -enjoy!!
(I think glatt mart carries it)

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Oct 23 2006, 6:38 pm
batya_d wrote:
DefyGravity wrote:

Are we talking about chicken pieces w/bones or boneless cutlets?

This week I made it with chicken on the bone, but I usually make cutlets.

mimsy7420

Post Tue, Oct 24 2006, 11:17 am
You can do it with either, but with bone takes longer to cook.

Imhappy!

Post Tue, Oct 24 2006, 11:22 am
I use the chicken with the bone b/c it's softer and easier for the kids to chew.
I take off the skin rinse with water and then shake the chicken in a bag of cornflakes I always bake my chicken covered b/c I don't want to make my oven fleishig (I do bake a lot of cake ...) and when I take it out of the oven I uncover it and it crisps up...

( I have a hard time doint that b/c I serve the kids 2 hours earlier than my hubby and its a hard warm up supper)

it's easy and clean and no cleanup...

Imhappy!

Post Tue, Oct 24 2006, 11:23 am
also make sure to line the pan with baking paper for easy pickup.

Imhappy!

Post Tue, Oct 24 2006, 11:24 am
I use the chicken with the bone b/c it's softer and easier for the kids to chew.
I take off the skin rinse with water and then shake the chicken in a bag of cornflakes I always bake my chicken covered b/c I don't want to make my oven fleishig (I do bake a lot of cake ...) and when I take it out of the oven I uncover it and it crisps up...

( I have a hard time doint that b/c I serve the kids 2 hours earlier than my hubby and its a hard warm up supper)

it's easy and clean and no cleanup...

queen

Post Tue, Oct 24 2006, 1:01 pm
Just want to share an excellent EASY chix/cornflake recipe:

place cleaned chix down in your pan.
Pour italian dressing over chix.
pour cornflake crumbs over chix

Bake time typical for chix.....
however take off foil for the last 20 minutes or so.

VERY SOFT, but best part is it's quick and easy!

DefyGravity

Post Tue, Oct 24 2006, 2:34 pm
I make that all the time! It's easy and delicious!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen