Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers
Babysitter taking kids to her house
Previous  1  2

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Aug 10 2011, 11:19 pm
Kayza wrote:
Raisin wrote:

if you can't trust her not to give them kosher food in her house, why trust her in yours? ANd she could be buying french fries from mcdonalds.

Good question, and a good reason why some Rabbanim will tell you that allowing a non-jewish person to be the sole adult in your house / with your children actually presents a Halachik problem.

Nevertheless, in your house, at least, you have a better chance, since you it is a bit easier to insist that she does not bring ANY food into your house - you give her lunch.

Honestly, if you explain your kashrus requirements to a nanny and she knowingly disregards them, she is not a trustworthy person at all, imo. I would not trust her with the physical well being of my child, which comes before kashrus anyway. The options I listed above are the only ones I would use. And anyone who can't follow the rules is out of a job.

HindaRochel

Post Thu, Aug 11 2011, 12:35 am
marina wrote:
I'm with Raisin.

This is about the trust you have in your child's caretaker and has nothing to do with where your babysitter does her job or her level of observance or the ages of her own children.

You either have a babysitter who understands your expectations and respects them or you don't.

If you don't trust her to make sure your kids don't eat treife in her house, why do you trust her to do the same when she takes the kids to the park?

^^^this.

She simply might not understand kashrut, and you may need to go over the rules or simplify it as Marina did above. She might have gotten the impression that "pasta was ok".

I would give her a second chance, but I don't see the problem with her taking the kids to her house as long as it is a safe place to be and they only eat food from your house on new paper plates.

Tova

Post Thu, Aug 11 2011, 2:27 am
I'm surprised I'm the first to mention this:

It's not just whether the food is kosher or treif...it can be bishul akum if a non-Jewish person cooks food for your kids.

Teva26

Post Wed, Oct 26 2011, 3:39 pm
Id be totally fuming and would find a different babysitter. I wouldnt even talk to her about it, the woman does not sound trustworthy one bit. Offering non kosher food and also putting your children in non baby proofed and [gentile]-ish influenced environments dont sound too appealing. Especially when not talking to you about it first. Why not find a nice jewish girl to be the babysitter?

yerushamama

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 6:19 am
I don't think that this is a firing offense unless you had told her not to, bu do make it clear that this is unacceptable to you.

Israeli_C

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 6:34 am
Last post in 2011...

Rappel

Post Wed, May 08 2019, 8:32 am
My babysitter frequently took us to her house. She was an old Jewish, Russian Bubby, and some of my best memories are from her house. To this day, we keep in touch, and my mother still joins her to celebrate her birthday each year.

Did we run into kashrut issues? Absolutely! She used to make us boullion soup with noodles, which was absolutely delicious. Mum politely asked her to not serve us anything which didn't come from home, but was pre-packaged, and she complied. We then ran into another issue - mum discovered she was feeding us tootsie rolls (they weren't kosher at that time). I still remember her yelling at Inna. It turns out, though, that it was an innocent mistake: Inna had thought that the trademark "OR" symbol was like the OU. With that cleared up, we've remained close friends ever since.

Be clear, be honest, be respectful, and all will be well.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers