Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Chinuch books for BTs?

kellyeliz

Post Mon, Oct 23 2006, 2:33 pm
Hi - I posted this in the pregnancy forum yesterday before I realized that there was a separate chinuch forum...

My husband and I are both BT and would like to know if there's a "frum parent instruction manual" out there? I have basic, basic questions about what to teach our child and when - when to wash his/her hands - with a bracha? When saying shema with baby, can I say H-shem's name to teach baby? What's the best way to teach...?

Does anyone know if such a book exists?

If not, maybe I'll do some research and write one!

Thanks!

tziviakayla

Post Mon, Oct 23 2006, 2:42 pm
There is a wonderful book..."Children in Halacha" (Can't remember the author) that may be a big help to you. I had my DH get it for me when I brought my first home from the hospital. It should answer many of your questions.

ceo

Post Sat, Oct 28 2006, 9:23 pm
Children in Halacha is a great reference book for everyone to have around. Also, you'd probably be interested in a tape on the Aish.com website called "Chinuch: what to teach and when" by R. Yitzchak Berkowitz. It discusses all the issues you mention, plus many, many more. You can buy the tape. CD, or downloaad an MP3 file from

www.aish.com

Imaonwheels

Post Sun, Oct 29 2006, 8:30 am
I work in chinuch and have a large family. My sad conclusion is that I have not really seen good chinuch books in English. There is halacha but your LOR, rebetzin or mashpiah can give yopu that in one shot. If you read Hebrew there are some excellent ones.

TzenaRena

Post Sun, Oct 29 2006, 8:36 am
imaonwheels, can you post some of those(titles in Hebrew)?

kellyeliz

Post Sun, Oct 29 2006, 4:05 pm
Thanks everyone who responded - great suggestions!

Imaonwheels

Post Tue, Nov 14 2006, 7:37 am
List on way, be"H

Imaonwheels

Post Thu, Nov 23 2006, 5:48 am
This is a list of books in Hebrew if you can't read the list you won't be able to read the books.

אני והנער
פשוט הכי טוב ש יש לי. מאד פרקטי. הקהל היעד הוא להורים של בני 12 אבל
יש הרבה שם שכדאי לדעת לפני. מחובר ע"י מלמד ותיק מירושלים

מהכח אל הפועל
רב ישיעהו וובר, רק צריך לשים לב שלא כל מה שהוא קבל מההכשרה הפסיכולוגי שלו כלול בהסכמות

קונטרס חינוך והדרכה
רב י.י. מלובביץ' יותר עמוק אבל מעד פרקטי במקור כתוב עבור ר"מים אבל יש ידע חשוב לכל מי שמת עסק בחינוך או הדרכה

מדריך לאמהות בגיל הרך

רב יוסף הרטמן. לאמא שהיא בהתחלת הדרך ביהדות על החנוך לקדושה

הל' ת"ת לרמב"ם

הל' ת"ת לאדה"ז

These books are not written in the format of the modern self-help style with the exception of the last, which explains some of the basic practices in Jewish education that may be strange to someone very new to yiddishkeit. Most of them are best learned and pondered on. There is no rules - example set up. The first, second and fourth books are written in a regular modern Hebrew. Almost none of the authors are psychologists, sws, etc. Most are highly experienced mechanchim. The exception is Rav Weber who is both a mechanech of many years and the head of a machon for educational testing and treatment. Here I list those books that are also of value to parents. I have others that are written specifically to mechanchim.

Meema2Kids

Post Thu, Nov 23 2006, 6:01 am
"Raising Roses Among the Thorns" by Rabbi Noach Orlewek THis is a great book although it doesn't have any of the specifics you mentioned, more of like a general approach. It has a wonderful section on BTs.

TzenaRena

Post Thu, Nov 23 2006, 6:24 am
imaonwheels, are these books available in seforim stores here in CH?

Meema to kids, I have "My disciple my child, my child my disciple" by the same author. Is this a new book?

Imaonwheels

Post Thu, Nov 23 2006, 6:30 am
Kuntress Chinuch and Hadracha is certainly available in Kehos. As is hilchos TT of the Alter Rebbe. Hil' TT of the Rambam is part of the Yad. The rest I don't know.

JRKmommy

Post Thu, Nov 23 2006, 8:05 am
"Raising Roses Among the Thorns" is newer than the other books from Rabbi Orlowek, but it has been out for a few years. I read it and loved it.

ceo

Post Thu, Nov 23 2006, 8:46 am
Here is one of the sefarim mentioned available at Kehot Online.

http://store.kehotonline.com/I.....ge=10

I would love to get the madrich for early childhood.....I live in America. I wonder if I can find a seforim shop in e'y that would ship it for me?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics