Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Anyone familiar with early intervention??

CHANY115

Post Mon, Oct 23 2006, 7:09 pm
I requested that my son should be placed in a center based program and the city denied it. I got letters from a pyscologist, evaluater and more and they still did not feel that it is enough. I am taking the next step to mediation. does anyone know about this approach or what else can I do to get him services which he needs. for a 2 year old, hyperactive child with short attention span, unfocused, hits children, throws and breaks objects, very tempered, doesn't follow directions and more.

Purple Hug Bunny

Post Tue, Oct 24 2006, 2:23 am
I'm not sure of the exact numbers. I'll ask around today, I'll write back later.

What kind of evaluation did he have? anything else besides for special ed and psychological?

I think that any child who scores less then 25% in all areas is entitled to an EI program..

I'll get back to you later.

timeout

Post Tue, Oct 24 2006, 5:42 am
Chany PM me I got my son into Yeled Vyalda after he wa denied

pinchanygo

Post Tue, Oct 24 2006, 9:44 am
I worked for an EI agency for 3 years. Please email me at pinchanygo@yahoo.com

Purple Hug Bunny

Post Tue, Oct 24 2006, 1:15 pm
OK, I asked around.

First of all, do u live in NY? if u do, then you will IY"H get therapy for him.

secondly. to get into a center he needs to have a 25% across the board delay. and a 35% individual delay.
that means that to get an overall/across the board score, he would have to be evaluated for speech/launguage, physical and fine motor skills..
then they add the scores and if the total is 25% delay, or more, OR if he scores 35% delay on one area indivudually then he would be approved for a EI center..

so if he hasnt been evaluated for the other things, have him evaluated so you can get a total score.
even if his speech/fine motor/physical are ok.. it pays to have it done.

Good Luck.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Tue, Oct 24 2006, 6:06 pm
I know that for therapy in NY, the child needs either 25% delay in more than one area orlike 36% in one area..but for a center, I don't know.
As for Yeled V'Yalda, to get him into Early Head Start (2 year olds) is much harder than for 3-5 year olds...also,it's not a special ed school if that's what you're looking for. They do provide services, though, so maybe they can help you.
yeled vyalda 718-686-3700

I'm a special ed therapist...not experienced in EI, but if I can help, PM Me. hatzlocha!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics