Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
When to call the dr

curlyhead

Post Sun, Mar 27 2005, 6:08 am
My baby is sick with a horrible cold. just wants to be held and sleeping alot. And very kvetchy. it is probably just a bad cold now that the weather is starting to get colder. I never know whether to call the dr in this sitch. I know he will say it is just a virus and nothing you could do about it but I get so much more nervous when it is a young baby who can't tell you what bothering them.

proudmom

Post Sun, Mar 27 2005, 6:23 am
do you think your baby might have an ear infection? If your not sure, take your baby's ear lobe pull it down gently and then back if your baby screams or cries from it then you know if he has an ear infection then you take your steps further. If he has fever, check to see for how long he is has it for? how many days? its very important. Because if a baby has fever for to many consecutive days its not good. It might be something else.

rydys

Post Sun, Mar 27 2005, 10:34 am
As far as I'm concerned if you are not sure whether to call your doctor, err on the side of calling. I'm a pediatrician so I am the one being awoken in the middle of the night for these calls. While I will admit that most of the calls I get are for things that could wait until the morning, I never make a parent feel bad for calling. I would much rather a mother call for something unimportant than she not call for something important.

Again, if you are not sure, you should call. As your child gets older and you have experienced more illnesses you will get more experience in when to call.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics