Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Keeping a paddling pool clean

mummy-bh

Post Sun, Aug 21 2011, 9:51 am
How can I keep the water in the paddling pool from getting smelly?
It's quite a large pool - big enough for a few kids at a time, and I had to throw the water out after a couple of days because it stank.
Is there something I can treat the water with, to ensure it stays good for longer?

Liba

Post Sun, Aug 21 2011, 9:53 am
I would put bleach in, but you really should have test strips to check the chlorine levels to make sure it is enough to keep things from growing up not too much to irritate skin/eyes/lungs.

We finally just gave in and got a small pool with a filter and cover, chlorine tablets and a floater and test strips so we wouldn't have things growing in the pool. It is a big problem IME.

mummy-bh

Post Sun, Aug 21 2011, 11:49 am
Thanks Liba.

So how often do you have to change the water now?

Would you know where to buy the test strips? And what kind of bleach could I use? the regular cleaning bleach from the supermarket

Liba

Post Sun, Aug 21 2011, 11:56 am
Now that we have a pool with a filter we change the water maybe once during the summer. Since we were away half of the summer this year I don't anticipate changing the water at all.

I would use just plain liquid bleach like you use for the washing machine for now. Test strips you can either get online, at Target, Wallmart or a pool specialty store.

mummy-bh

Post Sun, Aug 21 2011, 12:24 pm
Liba wrote:
Now that we have a pool with a filter we change the water maybe once during the summer. Since we were away half of the summer this year I don't anticipate changing the water at all.

I would use just plain liquid bleach like you use for the washing machine for now. Test strips you can either get online, at Target, Wallmart or a pool specialty store.
I'm a bit far from target or walmart Wink

anywhere in yerushalayim sell them? and would you know what they're called?
thanks

Raisin

Post Sun, Aug 21 2011, 12:35 pm
I am very sensitive to chlorine and I get huge headaches if I go in a chlorinateed pool but some pools have saltwater in and those I am fine with. So watch out if your kids are complaining of headaches.

Liba

Post Sun, Aug 21 2011, 1:00 pm
mummy-bh wrote:
Liba wrote:

I'm a bit far from target or walmart Wink

anywhere in yerushalayim sell them? and would you know what they're called?
thanks

Smile Sorry, I am tired obviously. http://www.sapirpools.com/ (caution non tznius pictures) is where I got our chlorine tablets, but they have test strips as well. I have no idea bout their shipping, but I am sure there are other places in E"Y, probably in the malls but I am pretty clueless.

Fox

Post Sun, Aug 21 2011, 1:23 pm
My DD got a large pool for her backyard camp this summer, and for the first time, bought a filter. It's made a huge difference. She still changes the water every few days, but it's not a daily requirement any more, and the water is much cleaner.

mummy-bh

Post Sun, Aug 21 2011, 2:09 pm
Raisin wrote:
I am very sensitive to chlorine and I get huge headaches if I go in a chlorinateed pool but some pools have saltwater in and those I am fine with. So watch out if your kids are complaining of headaches.
saltwater? how does that work to keep the water clear?

Raisin

Post Sun, Aug 21 2011, 2:20 pm
mummy-bh wrote:
Raisin wrote:
saltwater? how does that work to keep the water clear?

not sure. these are big built in pools. chlorine is probably easier since most pools use it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics